• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I'd say $599, in line with the top model PS3, when it was released. blu-ray is standard now for the big two, next gen consoles. Xbox will use it as well, since DVD's are inadequate for the games being produced, unless you like 5 discs lol

Sony has finally started making profits, after their TV's took hits in sales and the PS3 sucking up revenue. It would be in their best interest to have a 450-499 sell price, but there's a ton of money to be loss on the initial product run, till the components become cheaper to manufacture.

With everything I've seen, and the fact that the system is suppose to be more developer friendly, I think they'll do fine out the gate 2c

I would be happy with $499 as a launch price.
me too :wishluck:

8GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory

This was the big surprise, from what I'm gathering on forums. People who know this tech stuff were speculating 2GB - 4GB, and most people thought 4GB would be a stretch. The fact that it's 8 surprised a lot of people; that's 16x the memory of the PS3.

Now the question is, how much is this beast gonna cost?

Hopefully not $599 :ohnoez:

Also,how much is 8GB?(in English please,not all of us speak geek :baiting: )

I really don't know. What I do know is that it's 16x more powerful than the PS3, and tech geeks are going bananas right now. No one saw this coming. Apparently this is some sort of game-changer, and Microsoft is screwed.

Here's a tech-geek reaction thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514465

I'd have to find the link, but it appears that the consensus is that the PS4 is 50 times more powerful than the next Xbox offering, in terms of computing power. Microsoft still has it's much better Live, online component, with millions of gold subscribers. That will continue to help it, going into the new gen, system war. Personally, I'll have them both at some point, so I don't put much into the fanboy ism that is so prevalent in the gaming world. Genesis vs SNES ;)

It's the kind of memory used to do things not storage :)
Like download speed?

Enhanced graphics?

It's throughput for graphics. Download speed will of course be limited by whatever your internet connection speed is.

I'm trying to figure out how to say it simply and also correctly...it's memory that is written to and read from rapidly not storage like a hard drive. So the more you have and the faster it is the more your system can do at once and the faster it happens.
I think I get it hm

So,it can do a lot of stuff at once or something?

By the their reactions,I say the PS4 is going to be on every one's Christmas list hm

Anyone here speak geek?

What's so special about 8GB GDDR5 or something? (shrug)

Does it mean it has more memory for storage or something??

GDDR5 is memory designed for heavy graphics use. Its incredibly faster than DDR3 RAM typically used on desktops as it would need to process large amounts of data quickly (ie. video rendering). Basically GDDR5's bandwidth is around 3x larger than DDR3. To have 8gb of this compared to the current gens 512MB DDR3..

By the their reactions,I say the PS4 is going to be on every one's Christmas list hm

Anyone here speak geek?

What's so special about 8GB GDDR5 or something? (shrug)

Does it mean it has more memory for storage or something??

1shows.jpg

2fooy0.jpg

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

Edited by CaptainOfIndustry

Looks like Nintendo is screwed lol

lol they'll always have their Mario, Zelda, and other key franchises though, and their diehard fans. I always give Nintendo props, as they are never scared to be the first to innovate in the industry. Motion controls, touch pad controllers, and who knows what will be next hm

I'd have to find the link, but it appears that the consensus is that the PS4 is 50 times more powerful than the next Xbox offering,

If the rumored Xbox specs are true, the PS4 is going to be roughly twice as powerful. Which is a very big deal.

I'd have to find the link, but it appears that the consensus is that the PS4 is 50 times more powerful than the next Xbox offering,

If the rumored Xbox specs are true, the PS4 is going to be roughly twice as powerful. Which is a very big deal.

I was very impressed by the Watch Dogs demo for PS4, it was pretty close to looking lifelike :o The photo realistic levels were quite stunning.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/20/watch-dogs-ps4-footage

Edited by Bass4punk

Looks like Nintendo is screwed lol

lol they'll always have their Mario, Zelda, and other key franchises though, and their diehard fans. I always give Nintendo props, as they are never scared to be the first to innovate in the industry. Motion controls, touch pad controllers, and who knows what will be next hm

Nintendo is in big, BIG trouble right now. Wii-U sales have been terrible, and with the PS4 to Vita connectivity, the Vita will do exactly what the Wii-U tablet does, except it'll be about 10x more powerful. Third parties are going to flock to Sony, and all Nintendo will have is their first-parties.

Nintendo is cooked.

Sony had to make a gamechanger or risk losing out in the gaming industry. Current generation was tough on the PS in my opinion. Xbox and Wii were the winners considering the incredible lead Sony had with the PS2. Still can not believe how badly the PS3 was handled.

Sony had to make a gamechanger or risk losing out in the gaming industry. Current generation was tough on the PS in my opinion. Xbox and Wii were the winners considering the incredible lead Sony had with the PS2. Still can not believe how badly the PS3 was handled.

The first couple of years were abysmal for the PS3. An absolutely atrocious launch. They came out a year later than the 360, with an architecture that developers didn't know how to use, and a non-existent game library. They were saved by the success of blu-ray and the eventual arrival of a great library of exclusives, both first party and third.

It really looks like they've learned from their mistakes. This conference was a 180 degree turn from their PS3 debut.

Nintendo is fine, but I think they are aiming for a different audience. People who don't know what RAM is :gossip:

We ain't seen nothing yet. People's eyes will tell them what RAM is.