• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I say this with zero statistical back-up, but I think you're in the minority on backwards capability.

Not according to online polls, which had BC as the #1 factor in buying a new Xbox One or PS4 console. But Sony and Microsoft colluded (after all, they want you buying new PS4 release not playing old PS3 games) and none offered BC, which meant that ADD gaming addicts either had to skip this generation or suck on the MS/Sony teat.

But like the used game fiasco, had the PS4 offered BC and the Xbox One not (or vice versa) that would have had a serious impact on sales. I own both consoles, and games + controllers for both and if one had included BC, I would have bought 2 of them first day.

And I'm not alone, but again, due to collusion there was no choice.

You do know if both Sony and Microsoft added BC it would have made the systems more expensive for people to buy.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to spend 2 minutes googling a product before spending $500-$600 on it.

It's not reasonable to think I'd spend time Googling features that previous systems had to make sure they didn't get removed. A good idea, yes, but not one that will always occur to me. :blush:

Well if we use the new products as a baseline, we'll never have this argument again for XBox or PS. The new ones don't have it, so no one can ever expect it again, right?

You do know if both Sony and Microsoft added BC it would have made the systems more expensive for people to buy.

You do realize that even if it was nearly-free, they don't *want* to include BC, right? Sony even admitted that when the took off BC from the PS3, stating they wanted PS3 owners "to be buying PS3 games and not playing their old PS2 games". No qualms about it, buy, buy, buy!!

Existing PS3 and Xbox 360 games represent no profit to Sony and Microsoft, and it has nothing to do with the expense of the system (Sony was rumored to release multiple system configurations (one BC and one not) or a PS3 dongle, but quashed the idea because it would have impacted PS4 game sales) and everything to do with getting people to buy a pile of those horrible release titles to play on their shiny new toys. lol

Or do you really not understand how the console upgrade cycle works? Why do you think the DS3 and Xbox 360 controllers don't work with the new consoles? Why don't headphones work? remote controls? Especially on the PS4, which uses BT. Why do Sony and Microsoft sue companies who design dongles that allowed PS2 controllers to work on the PS3 or Xbox wit 360?

Cha-Ching!

Neither company makes anything on the console hardware, it's software licensing and residual dollars that drive the business, so losing BC makes perfect economic sense for a greedy corporation.

Not that I blame them, but it saddens me that consumers are falling for their BS and actually supporting their corporate agenda. doh!

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to spend 2 minutes googling a product before spending $500-$600 on it.

It's not reasonable to think I'd spend time Googling features that previous systems had to make sure they didn't get removed. A good idea, yes, but not one that will always occur to me. :blush:

Well if we use the new products as a baseline, we'll never have this argument again for XBox or PS. The new ones don't have it, so no one can ever expect it again, right?

Buddy, this is widely expected to be the last dedicated home console generation with proprietary OS's and monopolistic paywall schemes, so no one will have to worry about anything Xbox or PS related.

On a more positive note (although most people will have played it by now) I have been working through some backlog, trying out games to see what's worth it to play, and I found a crazy, zany, maniacal gem from the past:

Prototype

I know it's an older game, but for some reason I never got around to playing it. And for a gamer who was very impressed with the Infamous games, Prototype is like Infamous on Steroids. Just absolutely insane action, and the sheer mayhem is incredible. It's probably as close to comic book action (think Hulk + Venom) as I've ever seen in a video game, and I really like that it's an open-world "sandbox" design.

The story is not as good as Infamous and some missions can get repetitive, but the action is 10X better and much more visceral. Plus you can just run around like a maniac if you want, tossing buses and tanks around, throwing civilians around and running up walls. Plus, the game allows you to achieve goals different ways, without the linearity in some other sandbox games (like Infamous).

Right at the start, there was a mission where I was being chased by an attack chopper and I was *supposed* to go to a roof and toss air conditioner units (or something) at them. Screw that. I chased one from roof to roof, finally leaping onto it in mid-air, and punching it all the way down to the pavement.

Mission Accomplished.

The I noticed one of my kids sitting on the stairs - "What are you playing Dad, that was crazy!". lol

You do realize that even if it was nearly-free, they don't *want* to include BC, right? Sony even admitted that when the took off BC from the PS3, stating they wanted PS3 owners "to be buying PS3 games and not playing their old PS2 games". No qualms about it, buy, buy, buy!!

Existing PS3 and Xbox 360 games represent no profit to Sony and Microsoft, and it has nothing to do with the expense of the system (Sony was rumored to release multiple system configurations (one BC and one not) or a PS3 dongle, but quashed the idea because it would have impacted PS4 game sales) and everything to do with getting people to buy a pile of those horrible release titles to play on their shiny new toys. lol

Or do you really not understand how the console upgrade cycle works? Why do you think the DS3 and Xbox 360 controllers don't work with the new consoles? Why don't headphones work? remote controls? Especially on the PS4, which uses BT. Why do Sony and Microsoft sue companies who design dongles that allowed PS2 controllers to work on the PS3 or Xbox wit 360?

Cha-Ching!

Neither company makes anything on the console hardware, it's software licensing and residual dollars that drive the business, so losing BC makes perfect economic sense for a greedy corporation.

Not that I blame them, but it saddens me that consumers are falling for their BS and actually supporting their corporate agenda. doh!

You can use any headphones for the DS4. Only for hearing audio though. And speaking of controllers, why the heck does the Xbox One controller still require batteries? Stupid!

I've been playing Dark Souls lately.

For anyone interested in playing this game,I must warn you:

THIS GAME IS :censored: BRUTAL!!!!! :pullhair:

Think of it as Ghost & Goblins on steroids(minus the bad controls) :pullhair:

You will die a lot ( and I do mean A LOT in this game :frustrated: )

I bought this game for $20 at Best Buy (thought it was a good deal)

But it's oh so addicting (yes,I am crazy :insane: )

I want to add this game's platinum list so bad :insane:

Don't know if I might be the only one in here who has ran into this problem...but here's the fix just in case.

When I'm playing a PS3 game, I charge my Dualshock 3 controller on my laptop when it gets low on power so I don't have to have it tethered to the actual PS3 itself.

However, I got a new laptop and have updated it to Windows 8.1 recently. Now I've noticed that when I plug my PS3 controller into one of its USB ports, it won't charge it.

Did quite a bit of digging around on the internet, and finally found the solution here. Simply follow the directions below:

Go to your Device Manager and then to your Human Interface Devices section before plugging in your PS3 controller. Then plug in your PS3 controller and you will see "HID-compliant game controller" and "HID-compliant wireless radio controls" be updated to your Human Interface Devices section. Right click and disable "HID-compliant game controller" then unplug and replug in your PS3 controller and it should charge fine.

Hope that helps anyone who might be having the same problem.

Called 3 EB Games, 3 Future Shops, 1 Best Buy, 1 Sony store and 1 Target and still no PS4's. Several mentioned they got some earlier this week and sold out immediately.

In a weird way I'm enjoying this hunt (shrug)

Don't know if I might be the only one in here who has ran into this problem...but here's the fix just in case.

When I'm playing a PS3 game, I charge my Dualshock 3 controller on my laptop when it gets low on power so I don't have to have it tethered to the actual PS3 itself.

However, I got a new laptop and have updated it to Windows 8.1 recently. Now I've noticed that when I plug my PS3 controller into one of its USB ports, it won't charge it.

Did quite a bit of digging around on the internet, and finally found the solution here. Simply follow the directions below:

Go to your Device Manager and then to your Human Interface Devices section before plugging in your PS3 controller. Then plug in your PS3 controller and you will see "HID-compliant game controller" and "HID-compliant wireless radio controls" be updated to your Human Interface Devices section. Right click and disable "HID-compliant game controller" then unplug and replug in your PS3 controller and it should charge fine.

Hope that helps anyone who might be having the same problem.

I've never even thought about charging from a laptop, great idea!

Called 3 EB Games, 3 Future Shops, 1 Best Buy, 1 Sony store and 1 Target and still no PS4's. Several mentioned they got some earlier this week and sold out immediately.

In a weird way I'm enjoying this hunt (shrug)

I see them available on Best Buy for delivery.

It's easy to find a PS4 online or in-store and you need to load the webpages (FS, BB, WM, etc.) and run a tracking program (check4 change, etc.) on the stock indicator. Then either buy online or reserve in store.

I can't see waiting more than a day or two with this method.