• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List of Silver-Age keys... (for use in CGC Census Analysis)

68 posts in this topic

a lot of these books are indeed minor keys... but are they books thast we want or need to check the census of often? rather thn argue or discuss the key status of books (which is what we do best here!) would be to make the list of books we as collectors are most interested in noting changes to the census for....

FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 25, 48, 52 (first Panther?)

For the FFs add:

6 (1st team-up of bad guys smirk.gif ), 13 (1st Watcher), 26 (second half of Hulk story and 2nd SA Captain America), 49, 50.

Yes, 52 is the first Black Panter.

I think we need to come to an agreement about the definition of a "key". I would say that a "key" could be:

a) The first appearance of a superhero or team. Minor characters count as long as they eventually got their own series or were featured extensively in guest appearances (ex: Phantom Stranger and Creeper count but not B'wana Beast, Jonny Double, or even Tommy Tomorrow).

b) The first appearance of a major villain. I want to emphasize major villain. Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, Kingpin all count but I wouldn't list the 1st app. of Vulture, Shocker, Metal Master, etc. as keys.

c) The first appearance of a major supporting character (oxymoron?). An example would be MJ's first app. (face shown) in ASM 42.

d) A significant event occurs in the title. This could be in the story (GL 40-- 1st crisis) or even in the book itself (House of Mystery 174-- 1st mystery format).

e) The first x-over of a major superhero or team (FF12, TOS 49, ST Ann 2, etc.)

f) The first issue (or premiere issue) of a significant or long-running series. I'm not sure what the cut-off would be. Angel and the Ape #1 just doesn't cut it for me as a "key," but I would include Atom #1, Sea Devils #1, etc. Also, this means that second and third appearances-- while very valuable-- are not keys, unless something significant happens (such as IH 2-- 1st Green Hulk).

I would not include "checking the census" as criteria. That is too subjective.

Based on this criteria, I would INCLUDE the following books to the list (apologies to those who have already suggested some of these issues):

Aquaman 1

Brave and the Bold 59 (1st Batman team-up)

Detective 225, 359

Doom Patrol 86 (premiere issue)

FF 6, 49

GI Combat 68, 87, 138

House of Secrets 61

House of Mystery 143, 160, 174

JIM 85

Rip Hunter 1

Showcase 37, 43, 73, 80

Star Spangled War Stories 90, 151

Strange Adventures 180

Strange Tales 114, Annual 2

TOS 49, 57, 58, 59, 63

TTA 59

If we are including Hulk 102, Cap 100, IM 1, then what about the other 1968 Marvels: Surfer 1, Doc Strange 169, Nick Fury 1, Subby 1, Spec Spidey Mag 1, MSH 12? These are widely available books, but they are premiere issues.

I would DELETE the following from the original list:

-- All early appearances that are not significant first appearances, such as X-men 2-4, Hulk 3-6, Showcase 23 and 24, JIM 84, ASM 2, 4, 5, TTA 57.

-- First issues of Annuals, unless we agree that they can count as keys. If so, then add ASM Ann 1, FF Ann 1, etc.

-- Anniversary issues, such as Batman 200, unless we agree that this counts as a "significant event" in the title.

again - - th epurpose of this exercise is NOT to argue about what makes a "key" mino or major. Its just to modify Valiantmans sire to make it easier for me (and all of us) to see the census data AT A GLANCE instead of looking up individual books one ata time.

Ideally, all of us would have a preference pare on his site where we could list the exact books (keys, commons, junk etc) we desire to look up - - so we all have one click to get to them!! Wouldnt that be ideal?? well, until Greg works on that complicated exercise, lets just get a comprehensive list of books up we can all use.

So, out of all these new books you suggest, are you really interested in seeing the census data for the First ECLIPSO????

I thought not smile.gif

I think we need to come to an agreement about the definition of a "key". I would say that a "key" could be:

a) The first appearance of a superhero or team. Minor characters count as long as they eventually got their own series or were featured extensively in guest appearances (ex: Phantom Stranger and Creeper count but not B'wana Beast, Jonny Double, or even Tommy Tomorrow).

b) The first appearance of a major villain. I want to emphasize major villain. Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, Kingpin all count but I wouldn't list the 1st app. of Vulture, Shocker, Metal Master, etc. as keys.

c) The first appearance of a major supporting character (oxymoron?). An example would be MJ's first app. (face shown) in ASM 42.

d) A significant event occurs in the title. This could be in the story (GL 40-- 1st crisis) or even in the book itself (House of Mystery 174-- 1st mystery format).

e) The first x-over of a major superhero or team (FF12, TOS 49, ST Ann 2, etc.)

f) The first issue (or premiere issue) of a significant or long-running series.

I would also add first writers/artists of significance. While this is a Silver Age chat I would also add artists of note for a particular genre (Adans and Wrightson spring to mind for some reason). And, again keeping in mind the SA - well - OK - I guess I have to ask - are SA keys subject to different qualifiers? Because I was also going to say cover art that appeals to established collecting proclivities. For example, in the GA, we have Injury to the Eye, Bondage, lectric Chair, Spider and other assorted cover art that also creates a "key" based solely on cover art. Do you see any SA filling this bill?

And WELCOME! Join us! JOIN us! grin.gif

Amaz Spidey 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 14, 50

ASM #5 is not a key. confused-smiley-013.gif

ASM Silver Age keys: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 14, 15, 17, 25, 28, 31, 39, 41, 50.

If ASM#15 is a key, so is #13. confused-smiley-013.gif

Amaz Spidey 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 14, 50

ASM #5 is not a key. confused-smiley-013.gif

ASM Silver Age keys: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 14, 15, 17, 25, 28, 31, 39, 41, 50.

If ASM#15 is a key, so is #13. confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe, depends who is in the next movie. grin.gif

Did you all give up on me? grin.gif

Here we go... I've compiled nearly all of the posts in this topic

and made a list of key issues for the Silver Age...

You can now "just click" and get all of the issues on the same screen

on my CGC census analysis website.

(They are listed on the Title Choice as "Key Issues: Silver Age")

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/titlechoice.asp

Here are the direct links to the pages I'm sure you'll want to "test drive":

Current census counts (high grades in detail, mid/low grades rolled-up):

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/keyissues.asp?os=2SA

Previous census counts (high grades in detail, mid/low grades rolled-up):

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/keyissues.asp?os=2SA&previous=y

Current census counts (all grades in detail):

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/keyissuesexpand.asp?os=2SA

Previous census counts (all grades in detail):

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/keyissuesexpand.asp?os=2SA&previous=y

This-To-Last comparison of census counts (Current vs. Previous):

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/keyissuesrecent.asp?os=2SA

(Books not listed on this page had zero new submissions in the timeframe.)

Enjoy! thumbsup2.gif