• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

January 2013 ComicLink Auction

221 posts in this topic

With less than a week to go it seemed like a reasonable time to post a thread. My first impression was what appeared to be a double bargeload of Batmans, along with a few offbeat titles.

Good luck to both the bidders and consignors.

There does seem to be a lot of Batmans lately. There is literally like 7-8 Batman 1# going up for bids in the auction houses soon. Every auction house has a nice set of Batman books. It's a great time for Bat collectors. That's pretty cool I think. Especially if you can cherry pick the one you like.

Anyone have any experience from past comiclink auctions if the CVA sticker is making a difference in prices realized?

Ive got a bunch of bright DC's consigned. I've been tracking the impact of the CVA stickers on them in another thread

yippee some of my books got free cva stickers

So far it is looking like the CVA sticker is not really having much impact on pricing. It seems a lot my Actions with white pages people can tell they are nice, just from the white pages designation.

But some with Cr/ow pages are amazingly bright like the Metal Men 25 9.6 so white pages is not the only thing, the eyeball test should be used... :)

Anyone have any experience from past comiclink auctions if the CVA sticker is making a difference in prices realized?

Ive got a bunch of bright DC's consigned. I've been tracking the impact of the CVA stickers on them in another thread

So far it is looking like the CVA sticker is not really having much impact on pricing. It seems a lot my Actions with white pages people can tell they are nice, just from the white pages designation.

But some with Cr/ow pages are amazingly bright like the Metal Men 25 9.6 so white pages is not the only thing, the eyeball test should be used... :)

someone who tracks this closer than me can respond but I thought from the last auction that we saw a bump in realized prices with the CVA stickers more often than not... Wish more people realized that it was meaningless, cause bidding up CVA books just perpetuates the validity of their silly business model.

I did in their last auction - figured a spidey #4 CGC 7.0 would go for $1200 tops based on eye appeal - well over GPA - i went in for it and wanted it but it went for $1505 easily outperforming the CGC 7.5 next to it that went for about $1350. of course i did bother to get the grading notes on this and there was a long bend on the front cover so this book may have been considered improvable by the buyer thus the sticker may not have been the only factor there.

was a sweet looking 7.0

http://www.comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/RAD6FB1120121114_172558.jpg

Are some bidders now willing to pay a premium for "well presenting" (as in CVAed) in grade over a higher grade w/o a CVA?

In the past it was an "upgradable" 8.0 would sell for more (above GPA) than a non-upgradable 8.0. (sell for equal or below GPA)

Now it seems like:

Internal or back cover condition flaws that result in a 8.0 grade = book worth more than average 8.0

External/cover condition flaws that result in an 8.0 grade = book work average or below average GPA for an 8.0

Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone let me know what CVA stickers are?

They're just 1 more thing you have to remove when cleaning the slab ...

haha :) especially when they put the CVA sticker on my book sideways, I hit the floor laughing when I saw it... detective 363

I take it CVA is seen as a bit of a joke?

well depending on whom you spoke to so was cgc circa 1999. I would say the book is still out on CVA. The idea seems silly at first blush but that's not to say it couldn't catch on. I kinda hope not (just seems like an unnecessary PITA to me) and I think that's mostly what you're hearing in people's posts. There's already too many layers... resto check... press(?)... grading... slabbing... now cva?..... oy.

With less than a week to go it seemed like a reasonable time to post a thread. My first impression was what appeared to be a double bargeload of Batmans, along with a few offbeat titles.

I bid on most of the Batmans posted. Unfortunately, I'm also outbid on most of the Batmans posted now as well.

Comiclink should just start hosting quality scans like heritage does then this "service" wouldn't be necessary at all. As it is its a nice idea if it was done in house for free but the fees i seen listed are a joke. A bad idea that will hopefully be gone once the free period is over and no one os sending in books for this.

I bid on most of the Batmans posted. Unfortunately, I'm also outbid on most of the Batmans posted now as well.

+1