• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One staple books

32 posts in this topic

I'm bidding on a few books on ebay that have one staple on them. Am I right in assuming this has something to do with rationing and WW II? It looks like the top staple is in the usual place, but the bottom is missing, is the way it was normally done or was the single staple placed in the center at times? Do some books come with both a one staple version and a two staple version? Is there any difference in price in these cases?

Yes, one staple books were due to rationing during the war. However, all of the intentional single staple book I've seen have it placed in the center of the spine. The books I have (and have seen) with only one of the staples (top or bottom) are usually printing defects.

I'm bidding on a few books on ebay that have one staple on them. Am I right in assuming this has something to do with rationing and WW II? It looks like the top staple is in the usual place, but the bottom is missing, is the way it was normally done or was the single staple placed in the center at times? Do some books come with both a one staple version and a two staple version? Is there any difference in price in these cases?

Yes, there were one-staple books due to rationing during the war. I believe they're mostly from 1943(?). The placement on the one you're looking at is odd though, as one-staple books were centered on the spine. It's possible that it's a manufacturing defect.

As far as I know, books were either one staple or two. I don't know of any cases where some copies of a particular issue were one staple and others two.

What are the books?

ec_3.JPG

Same with this one. Both of these boths are post 1945 so that is why I was wondering about the single staple being war related. This one has the staple on the bottom, the other on the top.

I think I see both staples on this one. The top one in the white area, the bottom one in the blue area.

Yup. I see the second staple too.

I have a GA Detective with only the top staple. That is definately a defect from the printer -- no bottom staple holes at all. I have also seen another slabbed GA book (can't remember which one) that was graded pretty high (VF range) but had no staples. The lable read something like "Manufactured without staples". I think it still got a blue lable.

You are correct - the war years produced tnos of single staple books. I don't know of any issues that had one staple in some but two in others, but that be not definitive.

Speaking on MLJ books - the "switch" to single staples premiered in the January 1943 issues, and lasted until the summer 1944 issues.

Archie Comics #1, Winter 1942/1943, has both a dual staple issue AND a single staple one. Also, I've seen some books in '42 have a single staple - Hangman Comics #2, Spring 1942, had a single staple. Yet, issue #3 (summer) and #4 (Fall) 1942 all had double staples. # 5-# 8 (1943) were all single staples.

I think I see both staples on this one. The top one in the white area, the bottom one in the blue area.

Yup. I see the second staple too.

I have a GA Detective with only the top staple. That is definately a defect from the printer -- no bottom staple holes at all. I have also seen another slabbed GA book (can't remember which one) that was graded pretty high (VF range) but had no staples. The lable read something like "Manufactured without staples". I think it still got a blue lable.

My brother used to have a Batman #9 that was manufactured without staples. Sure had a beautiful spine...

Here's a scan of the one Little Lulu book that I have...it's probably going off to CGC soon. It only has one staple, but it's in the center position that others have talked about.

Jeff

FC146f.jpg

Right next to the skirt of the second Lulu from the bottom? I *think* I see it now. The seller has never got back to me on my question if there is only one staple.

Archie Comics #1, Winter 1942/1943, has both a dual staple issue AND a single staple one. Also, I've seen some books in '42 have a single staple - Hangman Comics #2, Spring 1942, had a single staple. Yet, issue #3 (summer) and #4 (Fall) 1942 all had double staples. # 5-# 8 (1943) were all single staples.

My (soon-to-be-former) copy of Archie #2 only has 1 staple but it is only placed a/b 1/3 of the way down the spine.

BTW, bid early, bid often... Archie #2 thumbsup2.gif -- heck, just set a crazy snipe and let nature take its course.

Right next to the skirt of the second Lulu from the bottom? I *think* I see it now. The seller has never got back to me on my question if there is only one staple.

Yep. That's where I'm seeing it.

My (soon-to-be-former) copy of Archie #2 only has 1 staple but it is only placed a/b 1/3 of the way down the spine.

BTW, bid early, bid often... Archie #2 thumbsup2.gif -- heck, just set a crazy snipe and let nature take its course.

I'm sure it'll go higher. I bought a nicer copy from a dealer a couple of years ago for about $650. Good luck!

Here's a scan of the one Little Lulu book that I have...it's probably going off to CGC soon. It only has one staple, but it's in the center position that others have talked about.

Jeff

FC146f.jpg

Why does that one have only one staple, that came out after the war?

Why does that one have only one staple, that came out after the war?

I have no idea. Perhaps it was something that Dell did on some issues, rather than the standard two staples. I don't think this was a printing error, since the staple is clearly in the middle of the book, and there are no holes or other markings for the other staple. Perhaps someone else can comment?