• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Bryan Singer's Days of Futures Past be a retcon doing away with Last Stand?

132 posts in this topic

If someone is a fan of that comic book miniseries than they should have loved the movie. (shrug)

Well I loved the mini-series but I hated the movie, mostly because of how the director totally ruined the starting point of the story (it starts out as a whodunnit from Rorschach's 'after the fact' point of view) and instead, inexplicably gives us a stupid fight from the POV of a dead character being attacked a shadowed superhuman (who we later find, from his body type, has to be Ozy).

That's just terrible storytelling and the GN handled it far better, starting after the death with the audience never knowing more than Rorschach & Co., learning as they did and finding information as they did. This "let's have a meaningless and harmful to the story fight at the start just to appease the action fans" totally killed the story from the get-go, and all you're left with is fireworks for the dimwits in the audience (of which there are a lot).

Although I agree that tne ending needed to be changed from the GN, what we saw on the screen didn't make any sense, and if they were going to change it that significantly, they also needed to change the story earlier on rather than just hit us with a tomato. That new ending cannot work by simply switching the last 10 minutes of the movie while leaving the rest like the GN the same.

Moore knows how to write while the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who created the screenplay obviously do not.

People criticize him for the height... after that... I like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine... He has made the role his own and believable. Again, I think he makes the character.

He was absolutely horrible in X1 & X2 and seemed like Wolverine's uncoordinated nerd brother (flailing claws city) but he was a lot better than X3 and the Wolverine movie, especially as it got him out of that ridiculous S&M leather suit.

People criticize him for the height... after that... I like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine... He has made the role his own and believable. Again, I think he makes the character.

He was absolutely horrible in X1 & X2 and seemed like Wolverine's uncoordinated nerd brother (flailing claws city) but he was a lot better than X3 and the Wolverine movie, especially as it got him out of that ridiculous S&M leather suit.

X3 was a good film, nowhere near as bad as most people claim, but X2 was the best of the trilogy by a mile and one of the best superhero films.

From the kick Nightcrawler sequence at the start through to Brian Cox's William Stryker who is surely one of the meanest, toughest s.o.b.'s to ever hit the big screen. To do that to his own son...... :o

I thought Superman Returns was the first movie retcon? And wouldn't the new Conan be a retcon too?

I think Superman Returns was an unofficial sequel to the Reeve movies. (shrug)

William Stryker made me care about the plot.

This.

He was great.

Edward Norton's Hulk was a pretty big retcon.

Even with avengers they don't really go into the Hulk's past.

I loved the way they handled the origin in the Norton Hulk movie. We didn't need 30-40 minutes, just a few flashback scenes at the beginning and good to go. I think the new Spider-Man movie would've benefitted from this storytelling trick.