• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT??!!

265 posts in this topic

I still remember their website, it was VIABuys.com, wasn't it? Anyways, what happened to most of their inventory? They still had a bunch of books at around the time the website went down permanently.

Brian

My understanding is that if it's done properly by a professional, it will not revert. (Just like your clothes don't become wrinkled again after you iron them.) If it is done by an amateur using a book press, it may not work in the first place, or if it does, it may revert to form in a matter of days or weeks. Depends on the severity of the defect being pressed out.

Interesting...here's a point that I'd love to see clarified:

Does "professional pressing" always involve disassembly of the book? That's been my impression. Or is there a third form of pressing, that is "done by a pro" but doesn't involve disassembly? Because if there isn't such a third form of pressing, than we should expect a lot of books in slabs to go down in grade as they 'revert' - or should we assume that some form of pressing has been developed, involving disassembly, that CGC cannot detect?

Maybe the distinction is in the method of pressing, not the person doing it. An amateur can do a 'professional press job" by using an actual book press? Help me out here...

Does "professional pressing" always involve disassembly of the book?

No.

No.

Correct.

No.

Correct.

Thanks.

No.

Correct.

Thanks.

You're welcome. flowerred.gif27_laughing.gif

And that, boys and girls, was this week's lesson on CGC forum etiquette. Remember, if it's not worth saying nicely, and with flowers, don't say it at all.

acclaim.gif

No.

Correct.

Thanks.

You're welcome. flowerred.gif27_laughing.gif

Game over man...Game Over! (anyone remember this line?) flowerred.gif

EDITED for flowers

great post linmoth

i know jason goes along ways back int he hobby and was in the hi end silver/bronze market since the late 80's and prob even b4 then, so it wouldnt surprise me that he was buying ultra high grades and stockpiling them over the years

it just goes to show u his foresight and expert knwoledge of the hobby and ability to grade

In most cases we are talking about Bronze age books ie: Hulk 181, X-men 94, Giant size 1, ASM 121, 129 etc. I have personally seen one collection with over 50 HG copies of each. Is it so hard for you guys to believe that those later issue comics have been collected and hoarded for years. There were over 30 copies of Ironman 1, and Subby 1 in the Western Penn Collection.

Ah, and therein lies what I now call "the JC conundrum". On the one hand, you have to believe that millions of HG copies of EVERY book is just waiting out there and will surface someday, proving all of our perceptions of scarcity to be delusional fantasies of wishful thinking. On the other hand, anytime a HG book surfaces, you have to believe that such a nice copy could not possibly exist naturally, so you have to accuse the owner/seller of pressing in order to achieve such a high grade.

Oh, and you have to be so dense that you can't understand the inherent contradiction in simultaneously holding both of these positions. foreheadslap.gif

By the way Tom, glad to see you on the boards again.

Ah, and therein lies what I now call "the JC conundrum". On the one hand, you have to believe that millions of HG copies of EVERY book is just waiting out there and will surface someday, proving all of our perceptions of scarcity to be delusional fantasies of wishful thinking. On the other hand, anytime a HG book surfaces, you have to believe that such a nice copy could not possibly exist naturally, so you have to accuse the owner/seller of pressing in order to achieve such a high grade.

Oh, and you have to be so dense that you can't understand the inherent contradiction in simultaneously holding both of these positions. foreheadslap.gif

\

that is so crystal clear I cant believe I never put that together!! NICE thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

There is absolutely no conceivable way that someone has the raw eye to discern buying that many key 9.6 and 9.8 books. I have heard numerous rumours about collusion with graders, which obviously are ridiculous - many pointing out that that his many 9.6/9.8 books are those that CGC receives in great abundance - Jason ending up with a disproportionate amount of the best grades. I mean how many raw key 9.6/9.8 books do you see in shops/conventions? - Virtually none I would guess even if you went to them all - So how does he actually do it - A magic trick>

i thought its already been stated that these books are mainly consignments from collectors who utilize his ebay reputation to sell... and that they are not raw books that JE has found in dealer boxes and coerced Borock et al to give him 9.6s?????