• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM 89 Grading Opinion Please HUGE scans

52 posts in this topic

Wow, that is a pretty comic! 8.0 due to the corner crease and damage to the lower edge overhang, particularly on the back cover.

[drool]mmmmm, Thor..... [/drool]

EDIT - Clarification to response based on staple question.

I think it's 6.5, the overflash along the bottom (front and back cover), tear lrc, crease lrc, and spine dmg along middle back cover. The spine and the top half of the book are gorgeous though.

Brian

I don't understand why folks give damage on the overhang a pass... it's part of the book isn't it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Given the creased LRC and the chips on the right edge, I'd say 7.0. I think giving it any higher is akin to the amateur graders overlooking an accumulation of small flaws and overgrading "because the colors are dark and it's really glossy."

I'd just trim off the overhang and forget about it. tongue.gif

It IS a gorgeous book no matter what the "technical" grade may be.

thumbsup2.gif

I don't understand why folks give damage on the overhang a pass... it's part of the book isn't it? confused-smiley-013.gif

Given the creased LRC and the chips on the right edge, I'd say 7.0. I think giving it any higher is akin to the amateur graders overlooking an accumulation of small flaws and overgrading "because the colors are dark and it's really glossy."

thumbsup2.gif

A blue 7.0/7.5 or a purple 9.2/9.4 (slight trim)...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which would you rather own? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you grade all of your books this way, then back up the truck - I'll take all of your "7.0's" 893whatthe.gif

I agree with FFB - there is absolutely no way in hell this book grades under an 8.0. I give it an easy 8.5. sumo.gif

The dent at the top staple bothers me a little, but if there is no interior stress as a consequence, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif than I am all over it.

BTW, one of my favorite Kirby JIM covers! 893applaud-thumb.gif My copy is a VG- 3.5, and I KNOW - it is NOT worthy! thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

A blue 7.0/7.5 or a purple 9.2/9.4 (slight trim)...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which would you rather own? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zipper,

You'd be nuts to even think about trimming a book! 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif See Redhook's trim montage on the Nick Fury book 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif