• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm getting Pretty Deadly... are u?

422 posts in this topic

too many covers. Plus, the art is not nearly as good as EoW

3224062-2185886431-pd1-2.jpg

Now I am not comparing it to east of west just talking in regards to sales but no the art is not the same but I am not saying I don't like the art its raw I actually like it

#1 Won't see east of west numbers true. But I predict this book will have a significant drop off print wise from issue #1 to issue #3.

too many covers. Plus, the art is not nearly as good as EoW

3224062-2185886431-pd1-2.jpg

Now I am not comparing it to east of west just talking in regards to sales but no the art is not the same but I am not saying I don't like the art its raw I actually like it

#1 Won't see east of west numbers true. But I predict this book will have a significant drop off print wise from issue #1 to issue #3.

A big week ahead for Image with debut of this and Velvet along with Rat Queens #2 and Sex Criminals #2. All of these books have a common thread in that they all have strong female leads. There was some discussion about who was leading the way, Marvel or DC in female led comics. I would say Image could join this conversation sooner rather than later. Catwoman 24 with the Joker's Daughter is also out Wednesday. It should be a great week imho.

I agree about the number 3 sales drop. Too much competition and limited dollars almost insure it.

I say give it a chance as all these number 1's have variants covers. Also predicting a decline from #1 print runs to #3 print runs is a proven in just about all title debuts. This doesn't really need to be said its common knowledge around here. 2c

I say give it a chance as all these number 1's have variants covers. Also predicting a decline from #1 print runs to #3 print runs is a proven in just about all title debuts. This doesn't really need to be said its common knowledge around here. 2c

:hi: Nate

I was thinking the same thing to myself.

Saga says hi.

Saga 1* $2.99 Image 37,641

Saga 3* $2.99 Image 38,895

But I'm sure this is already common knowledge and everyone here is expected to know this.

My point was a little less blunt. Lazarus dropped 50% from 1 to 3 and it is a fantastic story. Comic shops had to order 10% more copies of Pretty Deadly 1 than East of West 1 to make it fully returnable. That would put this book at roughly 54,000 copies. I see it more as a Lazarus type book in sales than an EOW competitor in terms of monthly sales. The last 3 or 4 Image releases have faced the same issue. I hope I'm wrong because I ordered a lot of these before I knew about the quota. 2c

My point was a little less blunt. Lazarus dropped 50% from 1 to 3 and it is a fantastic story. Comic shops had to order 10% more copies of Pretty Deadly 1 than East of West 1 to make it fully returnable. That would put this book at roughly 54,000 copies. I see it more as a Lazarus type book in sales than an EOW competitor in terms of monthly sales. The last 3 or 4 Image releases have faced the same issue. I hope I'm wrong because I ordered a lot of these before I knew about the quota. 2c

Agree. I see this book following Lazarus. I want this book to succeed as well since I have tons of copies ordered. I'm sure a lot of of us are giving this one a "chance".

2c

Saga says hi.

Saga 1* $2.99 Image 37,641

Saga 3* $2.99 Image 38,895

But I'm sure this is already common knowledge and everyone here is expected to know this.

Saga is unique and I said just about all title debuts.

tumblr_mudoeojG6b1r4abjdo2_500.jpg

tumblr_mudoeojG6b1r4abjdo1_500.png

tumblr_mudoeojG6b1r4abjdo3_500.jpg

Another cover revealed.

Are these all the variants?

Well, I was excited for this.

2 of those covers posted are not #1s. They are covers for #2 and #3. Another is just an advertisement, not a cover. There have been 6 covers revealed for #1 (including the regular) and there is 1 more which is a "secret" cover. So 7 covers in total.

While Rios and Bellaire’s work is far from straightforward, DeConnick’s plot is almost unnavigable, though this is likely by design rather than failings of DeConnick as a writer.

The formula for an interesting read but a terrible spec play.

While Rios and Bellaire’s work is far from straightforward, DeConnick’s plot is almost unnavigable, though this is likely by design rather than failings of DeConnick as a writer.

That made me giggle a little. The reviewer states they are lost but love it. lol

I remember when East of West came out that some people got lost reading the early issues. It turned out to be more straightforward as it went. I hope this series is as good as the hype. If it is, it will have been a very good year for comics.

That made me giggle a little. The reviewer states they are lost but love it. lol

I remember when East of West came out that some people got lost reading the early issues. It turned out to be more straightforward as it went. I hope this series is as good as the hype. If it is, it will have been a very good year for comics.

Yup, like EoW, it'll probably take 3-5 issues to see what we're looking at.

The bad news for people loading up is that obtuse storytelling has a tough time hooking the casual reader, who may buy number 1 and pass on 2. Then you're left hoping tpb sales are boffo, and the tpb buyers want/look to get the single issues they passed on.

Yup, like EoW, it'll probably take 3-5 issues to see what we're looking at.

The bad news for people loading up is that obtuse storytelling has a tough time hooking the casual reader, who may buy number 1 and pass on 2. Then you're left hoping tpb sales are boffo, and the tpb buyers want/look to get the single issues they passed on.

True. If it doesn't grab people early, it is a much tougher sale down the road. I think EOW had the benefit of having Hickman as it's writer. It couldn't have hurt that he is the writer for 2 Avengers titles ( while some Avenger is in a new movie every 6 months ) and Infinity. He also has a following from a previous Fantastic Four run. A lot of people were built in Hickman readers. 2c