• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm getting Pretty Deadly... are u?

422 posts in this topic

Lord forbid people have varying opinions and want to discuss on a message board about comics.

Discuss what exactly, oh other than someone doesn't like it. Great, good, we all can read it the first time. As far as the print runs of course there will be a drop off from #1 to #2 because of the multiple covers of #1. This happens a lot with modern comics books, I didn't know the shock and awe of it each and every time a new #1 comes out ie Five Ghost, EOW, Ghosted, Lazarus, The Wake, etc. all had multiple variant issues of #1. Does this take away from whether or not a title becomes successful or readers out there happen to enjoy a book? Maybe a few that don't like any variant covers of anything but most fans like me look at it as par for the course.

Sorry for the rantrant

Maybe if people on this board actually discussed things they like or dislike about the content of a book, every thread wouldn't read like this:

"I love it - it's awesome!"

"I wonder if the print run will be higher than X"

"Too many covers"

"I wonder what the print run will be on the Thought Bubble variant"

and then 8 months later:

"Wow, this book's print run fell 60% since issue #1"

"This book sucks - why isn't #1 a steady $10 yet"

"It's been 6 weeks since the last issue. What gives?"

"I can't even give away my Thought Bubble variant"

"When is Pretty Deadly #6 coming out? Probably after Nowhere Men 8. lol "

Every. . Thread.

Lord forbid people have varying opinions and want to discuss on a message board about comics.

Discuss what exactly, oh other than someone doesn't like it. Great, good, we all can read it the first time. As far as the print runs of course there will be a drop off from #1 to #2 because of the multiple covers of #1. This happens a lot with modern comics books, I didn't know the shock and awe of it each and every time a new #1 comes out ie Five Ghost, EOW, Ghosted, Lazarus, The Wake, etc. all had multiple variant issues of #1. Does this take away from whether or not a title becomes successful or readers out there happen to enjoy a book? Maybe a few that don't like any variant covers of anything but most fans like me look at it as par for the course.

Sorry for the rantrant

Maybe if people on this board actually discussed things they like or dislike about the content of a book, every thread wouldn't read like this:

"I love it - it's awesome!"

"I wonder if the print run will be higher than X"

"Too many covers"

"I wonder what the print run will be on the Thought Bubble variant"

and then 8 months later:

"Wow, this book's print run fell 60% since issue #1"

"This book sucks - why isn't #1 a steady $10 yet"

"It's been 6 weeks since the last issue. What gives?"

"I can't even give away my Thought Bubble variant"

"When is Pretty Deadly #6 coming out? Probably after Nowhere Men 8. lol "

Every. . Thread.

lol(worship)

I've seen the same myself. It's nobody's fault really but I've realized there is nothing to be gained by reading the threads in the moderns section. It's exactly how you put it.

:gossip: *you also forgot when someone posts a CGC 9.8 in the thread to which they are quoted and replied with "NICEE!!!!" or "MONIESSS"

So... I am not going to say I was disappointed by the contents of this book. I will say that I expected more with all the hype.

What I did like is that it took a long time to read because I had to keep rereading certain pages to get the message. It was a book that made me think and I liked that. The art is not my normal cup of tea but it definitely grew on me as I went through the pages.

According to multiple interviews with Kelly Sue it seems like this book will really hit it's stride at Issue #3 so I am definitely on board until then.

I picked up 2 Ghost variants at a different LCS from my norm but that is about the extent of my variant chase with this book. I feel like the number of variants and the contents of the book are going to cause this to go the way of Bedlam... I almost got burned on Bedlam but luckily broke even. I will not make that mistake with this book.

I haven't read it yet but if this was so bad why has it gotten 15 reviews and an average score of 8.6?

coimcbookroundup

Because I find almost every review for a new book has an agenda to promote the book.

It's utter . Most of these new books suck donkey gravy. Very few have any realistic staying power... or.... get this.... are actually any good!

There's a bit of a conflict of interest in that if you offer bad reviews (or even honest reviews), you run the risk of offending creators or companies. Then you may find less promotional material coming your way, less advance copies or solicits, creators often 'too busy' to do interviews or contribute articles or art for your site.

Years ago, Wizard used to grade titles and tpb's. Then, suddenly, they didn't offer grades, just reviews. I suspect they found the above phenomena coming into play.

Pretty much exactly what I am talking about.

Reviews online (both message boards and comic sites) are far, far too generous. Looking back at most of the "new, hot books" I read last year, I really don't care about many of them, save for a few.

The problem is you get caught up in the hype if you stay around here. Just look at what people promote and show off in the modern section! Hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on random new #1's in CGC 9.8 that will long be forgotten in a few years time just like Battle Chasers, Steampunk, Out There, Grifter, Danger Girl, Cyberforce, Fathom, Warlands, Creech, Tenth, Soul Saga, Aria, Darkness, Wild C.A.T.S, Witchblade (sort of), Gen 13, Youngblood, and on and on have all been forgotten.

I would honestly wager that 80-90% of these books have a shelf life of 1-2 years and nobody will give 2 hoots about then in 5 years time. Yet, people are spending crazy cash on em.

I apologize if I'm offending anyone but I'm going on a rant after seeing positive review after positive review lol

Reviews online (both message boards and comic sites) are far, far too generous. Looking back at most of the "new, hot books" I read last year, I really don't care about many of them, save for a few.

The problem is you get caught up in the hype if you stay around here. Just look at what people promote and show off in the modern section! Hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on random new #1's in CGC 9.8 that will long be forgotten in a few years time just like Battle Chasers, Steampunk, Out There, Grifter, Danger Girl, Cyberforce, Fathom, Warlands, Creech, Tenth, Soul Saga, Aria, Darkness, Wild C.A.T.S, Witchblade (sort of), Gen 13, Youngblood, and on and on have all been forgotten.

I would honestly wager that 80-90% of these books have a shelf life of 1-2 years and nobody will give 2 hoots about then in 5 years time. Yet, people are spending crazy cash on em.

I apologize if I'm offending anyone but I'm going on a rant after seeing positive review after positive review lol

hm

Maybe we should all make an effort to post objective reviews so that better buying decisions can be made. We have a ton of posters here who know and love comics.

It's getting really hard for books to match the pre-hype a lot of us are placing on them.

Half the reason why I think East of West should be book of the year was the fact that it met our sky-high expectations. Not saying we should expect books to suck, but some of you guys are ready to write a book off after two issues.

I haven't read it yet but if this was so bad why has it gotten 15 reviews and an average score of 8.6?

coimcbookroundup

Because I find almost every review for a new book has an agenda to promote the book.

It's utter . Most of these new books suck donkey gravy. Very few have any realistic staying power... or.... get this.... are actually any good!

There's a bit of a conflict of interest in that if you offer bad reviews (or even honest reviews), you run the risk of offending creators or companies. Then you may find less promotional material coming your way, less advance copies or solicits, creators often 'too busy' to do interviews or contribute articles or art for your site.

Years ago, Wizard used to grade titles and tpb's. Then, suddenly, they didn't offer grades, just reviews. I suspect they found the above phenomena coming into play.

:golfclap:

It's getting really hard for books to match the pre-hype a lot of us are placing on them.

Half the reason why I think East of West should be book of the year was the fact that it met our sky-high expectations. Not saying we should expect books to suck, but some of you guys are ready to write a book off after two issues.

Right. We expect a book we buy for $2 to be worth $10 the first week it comes out and if it isn't, perceived failure. I probably get a little overzealous when I right about books I like but I can't help it. I'm a comic nut. I typically praise those I like and don't write anything about the books I don't like.

I would discuss more content but I feel that is stealing the joy somebody might get from reading a book for the first time. My kids all read Action Comics 775 for the first time in the last couple of years. I told them it was "awesome". I could have told them why but I wanted the moment to hit them like it hit me and they thought it was, wait for it....awesome.

I cut reviewers a little slack. I've read many books that immediately after reading, I thought was some of the best ever. Johns on JSA, Morrison on JLA and the Invisibles, Ennis on Hitman and Preacher, Miller and Millar, Gaiman on Sandman, Ellis on the Authority and Planetary, and Moore on almost everything. Now, I'm on to EoW, Todd, Five Ghosts, and many more that are hitting me the same way. I will continue to call them awesome, hope you read them, and hope I didn't mislead you. :)

I still haven't had a chance to read Pretty Deadly but I'm looking forward to it. I hope it is half as good as the majority of it's reviews.

If any publicity is good publicity, this book is getting a lot of attention for various reasons.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/25/image-comics-pulls-pretty-deadly-from-comics-ink/

Tearing up the book is up to the owner of the book. Seems a waste but it is theirs to do with as they see fit. On the other hand, if I had an employee telling people not to buy something I'm trying to sell, they would be looking for a new job. 2c

Under ordered and sold out pretty much everywhere in Philly, sure the Ghost Variant gouge shop still has 'em, wouldn't know as I don't go there anymore.

Didn't get around to reading it yet but the reviews don't look too positive, hoping for an ok book and not a total letdown like Sex, Lazarus or East Of West.

Under ordered and sold out pretty much everywhere in Philly, sure the Ghost Variant gouge shop still has 'em, wouldn't know as I don't go there anymore.

Didn't get around to reading it yet but the reviews don't look too positive, hoping for an ok book and not a total letdown like Sex, Lazarus or East Of West.

19 reviews so far with a 8.5 average score.

24 reviews of EOW #1 average score 9.0

29 reviews of Lazarus #1 average score 8.7

(shrug)

I still haven't had a chance to read Pretty Deadly but I'm looking forward to it. I hope it is half as good as the majority of it's reviews.

+1. Color me intrigued! My copy is waiting.

Not a fan of EOW? lol

You will probably love it then as I was not a fan but am a huge fan of the 3 that you were let down by

If any publicity is good publicity, this book is getting a lot of attention for various reasons.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/25/image-comics-pulls-pretty-deadly-from-comics-ink/

Tearing up the book is up to the owner of the book. Seems a waste but it is theirs to do with as they see fit. On the other hand, if I had an employee telling people not to buy something I'm trying to sell, they would be looking for a new job. 2c

Yeah, that's way off base.

As a seller, you should be offering suggestions, like: try this if you like Westerns, DeConnick's writing, Rios' art etc, etc

You will probably love it then as I was not a fan but am a huge fan of the 3 that you were let down by

:roflmao:

As a seller, you should be offering suggestions, like: try this if you like Westerns, DeConnick's writing, Rios' art etc, etc

Exactly. It would be akin to a server throwing the chili cheese fries away because they aren't good for you and they don't like them lol

Exactly. It would be akin to a server throwing the chili cheese fries away because they aren't good for you and they don't like them lol

Or Best Buy trying to get every customer to buy the extra insurance on every electronic item they have for sale. lol