• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

foreheadslap.gif you know, i just got that Witches Tales in a lot and didn't realize it was the 1st issue!!! Its V!#7 so issumed it was #7 foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif The lot had some REALLY beat up ones and a couple average ones, this is one of the better ones luckily! Wow, thanks for pointing that out to me! I never look them up in Overstreet since thats pointless!

I've been following this thread for the past couple of days. I don't collect these mags, but they sure are neat to see! Keep it up!

Today I went to a local comic shop that has a couple of boxes of these type books and took a look. Most were in the VG to F range and he had some crazy prices on some of the early issues ($10-20 per for VG is crazy to me). There were tons of Creepy and Eerie from the mid-60s to the mid-70s, a few of those SHOCK issues, and other titles too. If anyone wants to PM me a list of mags they're looking for I'd be happy to check his stock next time I'm there (give me grade/price information too so I don't overpay!). He really had nothing high grade though so don't bother with the PM if that's all you collect...

thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif you know, i just got that Witches Tales in a lot and didn't realize it was the 1st issue!!! Its V!#7 so issumed it was #7 foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif The lot had some REALLY beat up ones and a couple average ones, this is one of the better ones luckily! Wow, thanks for pointing that out to me! I never look them up in Overstreet since thats pointless!

Great Mags everybody!

I posted this once before but it seems to fit in this thread. A great site for Eerie Pub. mags. and cover shots!

Eerie Pub. Link

The trouble with collecting high grade mags is that there is a dearth of good graders out there, so it is difficult to have confidence when bidding on eBay. For this reason I had a spell of only buying CGC graded mags and now have several beautiful issues in my collection such as Comix International #1 (CGC 9.4 White Pages), Tales of the Zombie Annual (CGC 9.6 White Pages), Psycho 1972 Annual (CGC 9.6 Off White - White Pages - a real beauty this one), Monsters Unleashed #3 (CGC 9.4 Off White - White Pages), Devilina # 2 (CGC 9.8 Off White - White Pages), Legion of Monsters #1 (CGC 9.8 White Pages) and many others.

However, I still like buying raw magazines and have had some good luck with US sellers in the last couple of months. Having searched for ages, I got what I thought would be the best issue of Weird Tales of the Macabre # 2 that I would ever see. It was graded at VF and only had two or three light stress marks on the spine and a very light subscription fold (almost impossible to see). A great copy approx. $13.00

I then spotted an auction from Showcase-New-England who listed Weird Tales of the Macabre #s 1 & 2 (raw) with an assigned grade of 9.2/9.4. I E-mailed them to find out which was the 9.2 and which was the 9.4, fully expecting the #1 to be the 9.4 (I have plenty of these in superb grades). I never heard back from them but decided to bid anyway, and won the auction for just under $32.00. So far so good, although I still expected the issues to have a corner crease of some sort and spine stress, with poor back covers (the usual story!). About a month later I get a package (well-packaged box) from Showcase and apprehensively open it up. I check #1 first: Superbly glossy cover with not one crease, just a tiny bit of wear down where the bottom staple presses up through the cover (issue is squarebound with only the interior pages stapled). Back cover is the best I've seen on any magazine in my collection including CGC issues. Absolutely superb - so I naturally figure this was the 9.4. Wrong! The Weird Tales of the Macabre #2 is absolutely perfect - probably the best magazine I have ever seen, displaying not one bit of wear on the front or back cover. The description 'As if it had just come from the printers' is 100% applicable here. Interior pages are just as fresh, so I'm thinking - why did Showcase not send these to CGC? I know they have sent lesser condition mags for grading so why not these? Maybe they expected higher competition in the bidding? Okay, I took the chance and was rewarded greatly, although I believe people are not bidding high on raw mags anymore for fear of overgrading.

Oftimespast is another seller from whom I recently won a beautiful Scream #11 (yes, the rare 1975 Winter Special issue) accurately graded at VF/NM for a mere $22.00! Apart from these unusual bits of good fortune, I like buying from Doug Sulipa in Canada as he knows how to grade. You pay over guide, but you know what you are getting with him. So, have faith in raw mags - they are still out there in high grades! Good luck to all you mag collectors, and I'd love to hear other stories about good (or even bad) experiences with raw mag buying.

Hey Elsa...sounds like you have got some really nice HIGH grade stuff. I know what you mean with a "dearth of good graders". The trouble is, I think that there is a lack of established guide lines when grading magazines. The latest Overstreet Grading guide only lightly touches on the subject in the pre-guide. They mention that Magazines should be evaluated with the same concerns as Golden Age Comics, because of how they were stored, displayed and handled throughout their entirety. This means that as long as there are not other detracting defects, a magazine may have a spine split up to 1/4" and still be a NM 9.4

While overall I feel that there are just plain out a lack of qualified graders. I have found that many established online sellers grade magazines the same as modern comics, which I absolutely love! Because I am able to get gem books by magazine standards for a less than usual monetary hit.

* What do you guys think in general about magazine grading? Very interested to hear some thoughts *

As for CGC magazines. I have a tough time buying them (not primarily because of money) but mainly because I don't enjoy them as much. Once that case is on them it really objectifies them to me. I love being able to smell the pages on newstand fresh books, and leafing through the pages. So many collectors are scared to handle their prized possesions. While now-adays with a tiny corner bend possibly dropping the value of your book by thousands of $$$ I see why. But if you are carefull and have a routine, there are no worries. I do recomend though that everyone has a lower grade copy of all their favorite ultra high grade books. This is what really makes collecting fun. When you can have a copy to cherish the stories and interior art, as well as a copy to cherish for its pristine beauty.

Oftimespast. Great seller. I think that his stock in Horror Magazines is just about up. He had some really nice stuff that was going on ebay within the last 4 months. Then I noticed harleymarcopolo found out about him, and was taking no prisoners with bidding. Then on a next round of books ast11 (Founder of the "Vancouver" pedigree Collection) jumped in and created a duke it out 3 round K.O. on the rest of his Magazines. I saw an I believe it was Tales of Voodoo 1974 issue in VF/NM go for $45-55. WOW!

No one ever replied about the Web of Horror Issue. RED are you still around? Maybe you know Elsa. We were trying to determine wheither the Web of Horor #1 and #3 issues had a widespread problem with printing rub/smudge on the spines? My #2 issue doesnt have it. But every #1 and #3 that I have seen exhibits this problem to some extent.

-bounty

Hey shiver is that the issue where the girl has some of her bone matter showing? (I couldnt remember if that issue was reprinted later, with an addition of bone matter).

Yeah that Powell cover is great. One of my favorite covers bar none. Not gruesome, but it is captured very well, and really sets an eerie mood. Paid a nice chunk of change for it, but have never found one nicer. I'm thinking about blowing it up and making a poster of it...(by blowing up I mean enlarging...haha)

I will get some more pictures to list for tomorrow of some of my other cool stuff. Just to keep everyones senses overloaded.

-bounty

Alright had to go for the 5 straight posts. Weird Sept. 1969, One of the top 5 most Gruesome Eerie Covers. Both of these victims being hooked right through their gullets (I think that's what you call the area under the chin), while also being staked. I guess the hanging dude was also used for spare parts. Simply Hideous Torture Cover.

564483-Weird_Sept_1969.jpg

564483-Weird_Sept_1969.jpg.c48f5d1d16cc54d954569983a5750633.jpg

Just checked (sorry for the delay) ... Web of Horror 1 has scuffing. Web 3 isnt scanned into my database yet so im gonna have to pull that by hand (may take a few days to locate).

Man I love that fire on the WOH #3 cover. I've got my fingers crossed for yah man, *hoping there is no scuffing on the #3*

Would these be considered defects on the books? Would they be graded downwards because of them, even though they are printing errors and/or are so widespread (at least with #1)?

Very Curious. confused.gif

posting WOH 1,2,3 ... A couple of Berni Wrightson Graphic Novels (1972 original work and a 1978 reprint compilation)... as well as the Wally Wood Treasury.

WebofHorror001.jpg

WebofHorror002.jpg

In the scan 3 does look like it has minor scuffing but eyeballing it I cant see it!

WebofHorror003.jpg

WallacrWoodTreasury1979.jpg

BadTimeStories000.jpg

BackForMore000.jpg