• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

Does anyone remember the seller on eBay a couple years ago who was trying to sell repros of the original paintings to many of the great Eerie pubs covers?

They were pretty nice looking, I don't think there was any text present. I can't remember the size of the repros, they might have been no more than 11"x17". Sadly, I didn't buy an example because I thought he was asking way too much for a repro. Can't remember costs exactly, but I'm thinking in the $80 and up range.

Anyone else see those? confused-smiley-013.gif

Does anyone remember the seller on eBay a couple years ago who was trying to sell repros of the original paintings to many of the great Eerie pubs covers?

They were pretty nice looking, I don't think there was any text present. I can't remember the size of the repros, they might have been no more than 11"x17". Sadly, I didn't buy an example because I thought he was asking way too much for a repro. Can't remember costs exactly, but I'm thinking in the $80 and up range.

Anyone else see those? confused-smiley-013.gif

WOW I never saw those! In fact I would be happy with just being able to see them. That would be a real treat to see. Anyone who knows keep us posted!

-bounty

Cool cover! thumbsup2.gif

Love that hinge, kinda reminds me of the "screw-cap" idea from that Steve Martin movie "The Man With Two Brains" grin.gif

BTW: Bounty, I have to say some of these covers I've seen before/have but what makes your posts special is the extremely SWEET quality of your books. Some I know are very hard to find in any condition let alone HG! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Jay! flowerred.gif

Yeah that Hinge rocks! Haha and so does "The Man with Two Brains"...haha nice corrolation.

There is an issue that I am in dire need of. It is Tales of Voodoo January 1970. It has that awesome cover where that monk goul type creature is filling an empty skull with a "mush" type substance from a vat located behind him! Awesome cover. I might have a really low grade copy of that book, but don't think so. Have been looking for a nice copy of that one for awhile. Seen it up on ebay a couple times, but it has gone for big bills.

Jay I have gotten very lucky in my searches. And actually think that I couldn't have started collecting these at a better time (within last 5 years). For word is really starting to spread on these books and every year it has gotten harder and harder to get these books for cheap.

In my early years of collecting these, I was extremely lucky to run across a gentleman who had worked for a distributer that distributed these Eerie Pub books. He was also a collector of them, and kept beautiful copies for his personal collection. I actually ran across them by accident, just casually asking about what other types of books he had, after an initial purchase. I was able to get his best (or my favorite) covers at the time which was a good chunk of what he had (he didn't have full runs). And only until the last 2 years have I realized how great of a find that was, for I truly believe that many of the Eerie Pub books that I recieved from him will be amongst if not indefinitely some of the best copies in existence. I mean they were copies that didn't even hit the newstand, and from my prior post, asking about Page Quality, with the help of others, they look to be OWL 10.

I don't know a whole lot about "Pedigree" status, but would these specific books that came from this original owner be warranted for this? What exactly does a book need to have in order for it to meet this criteria? Any thoughts, I have always been intrigued by the concept of Pedigree.

Here is another beauty from the set of books that I can call the "Haunted Distributer" Pedigree....lol

Tales from the Tomb January 1970 (almost a 1969 book! devil.gif )

582516-Tales_Tomb_Jan_1970.jpg

582516-Tales_Tomb_Jan_1970.jpg.76cfdc572a81e6567afcd18e97455a45.jpg

I bought several posters (probably 3' x 4' or so) from Joe Koch about 8 years ago that were great reprints of Warren covers. They were only $10 each or so.

Yup, the Kochs are still selling those posters to this very day. I bought a couple myself. grin.gif

Just to clear things up though, I was refering to repros of the original art to some of the covers to the Eerie Publicationss magazines (Weird, Horror Tales, etc.) and not Warren's better known Eerie magazine.

makepoint.gif

Guys! WOW...Check these sales out. Going for double to triple guide!!!

Hell-Rider #1 9.4 $127.50 893whatthe.gif

Hell-Rider #2 9.4 $91.00 893frustrated.gif

NIGHTMARE #3 9.4 $124.50 insane.gif

NIGHTMARE #10 9.4 $122.50 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

NIGHTMARE #16 9.6 $124.50 cloud9.gif

THE 1974 PSYCHO YEARBOOK 9.2 Currently $71 confused-smiley-013.gif

Holy Moly....

- bounty

That is very true Shiver. I have been VERY happy with books recieved from bobcat. His VF+ 8.5's are my NM- 9.2's .

I'm not even sure what his criteria is?!?! In addition, he grades magazines like modern comics. Wrong set of guidlines. But truthfully, this just shows you how large of a gap there is in demand for the Ultra High grades stuff of the Skywald series.

I'll tell you something else...These auctions would have gone much higher than they closed at if ast11 was watching them...Chris are you watching them? shy.gif

-bounty

ast11 has enough things to concentrate on without getting in on the Bobcat auctions! Only kidding - I'm just panicking in case he does notice them: I think it's the way Bobcat lists the mags that is the problem - they don't come up under eBay searches for either Skywald or the individual titles, and I believe they are only listed in the magazine sections and not comics. At least that is what happened last time I bid on some of his Skywald items. And you and Shiverbones are absolutely correct - I won a Psycho #14 NM 9.4 and it has only one minute stress line. It is virtually perfect - great stuff.

I've got a real treat for you guys here...

Rediculous Fanzine/Magazine to find. Scream Door #1 1971. Amazing Wrightson cover panels of Frankenstein. And I have another secret below...

584851-Scream_Door_1971.jpg

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Never before Printed Cover intended to be used for the Web of Horror #4 that never made it to the printing press!!!!!!!!!!!

584851-Scream_Door_WOH4_Interior.jpg

584851-Scream_Door_WOH4_Interior.jpg.e7f51a999ba4e9bd6e85b4b12c462d48.jpg