• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate crackheads!

34 posts in this topic

I'm not saying cracking a book with the intent to mislead is a good business practice, but to say a book absolutely, positively, unequivocally, and without question is only the grade assigned to it by CGC is pretty close minded, especially considering how much a grade can fluctuate just based on a straight resub.

I agree. As for disclosure as to CGC grade, while certainly good business practice, especially if it's the type of book likely to be resubmitted, is no more required than revealing Metro or any dealer grade for a book previously purchased from them.

I can understand the irritation with a seller who chronically does this and always seems to bump the grade, but when you are dealing with beaters, even keys, one really should be making a decision on the merits of the book regardless of assigned grade.I'd be asking what a beat up Subby #1 with a heavily taped spine is worth to me without worrying if the seller calls it a 1.0 or a 1.8.

I listed a book this week and still REFUSE to ever put a grade on ANY book I sell raw. I put photos up and let the bidder decide. I may say it looks "great", but I'm not going to throw a numerical grade on it because in most circumstances, even when trying to be subjective, the seller leans towards it being better than it actually is.

Selling restored books as unrestored is blatant. If you want to crack out books then supply photos and a broad grade (VF,VF+) and don't try to say it's a 9.2 when you damn know it isn't.

I listed a book this week and still REFUSE to ever put a grade on ANY book I sell raw. I put photos up and let the bidder decide. I may say it looks "great", but I'm not going to throw a numerical grade on it because in most circumstances, even when trying to be subjective, the seller leans towards it being better than it actually is.

Selling restored books as unrestored is blatant. If you want to crack out books then supply photos and a broad grade (VF,VF+) and don't try to say it's a 9.2 when you damn know it isn't.

Or ... learn how to grade and practice full disclosure (eg. mention that even though you may think the book is 9.2, it was previously sitting in a CGC 9.0 holder).

Or ... learn how to grade and practice full disclosure (eg. mention that even though you may think the book is 9.2, it was previously sitting in a CGC 9.0 holder).

And before that Harley sold it as an 8.5, and before that Terry O'Neil called it an 8.0, and before that Dave Alexander said it was a 9.0, and I think I once heard the original owner say it was Mint.

Now that is full disclosure

Some of you giving papamig too much credit. I know dealers buy low want to sell high, that's how they make money. This is not what he is doing. He buys books that are slabbed, and have a known to be fairly accurate grade assigned to them, then cracks them and bumps the grade 2 notches. Is this because he has examined them and just disagrees with CGC, no way. I bet every book he buys like this gets a +2 bump, never a minus 2 bump. It's a business model based on a scam, the books will always go up in grade after cracking.

I know you can say even CGC doesn't grade the same book with the same grade every time it's submitted with a straight re-sub, but they often do. And there is never a time where you can crack masses of books and give them all a plus 2, it's proof of a scam.

Same model as aram (all things comics on ebay). He and his buddies have been busted so many times on here that he's finally settled on a bit different model. He now cracks and lists the book with no grade, or a vague grade, and throws in a bunch of meaningless adjectives (wonderful, awesome, fantastic, very nice, etc), resto becomes tiny, slight and a bit, blah blah.

Both of these crumbs are the type of people who 40 years ago would be selling used cars and rolling back the odometers.

Some of you giving papamig too much credit. I know dealers buy low want to sell high, that's how they make money. This is not what he is doing. He buys books that are slabbed, and have a known to be fairly accurate grade assigned to them, then cracks them and bumps the grade 2 notches. Is this because he has examined them and just disagrees with CGC, no way. I bet every book he buys like this gets a +2 bump, never a minus 2 bump. It's a business model based on a scam, the books will always go up in grade after cracking.

I know you can say even CGC doesn't grade the same book with the same grade every time it's submitted with a straight re-sub, but they often do. And there is never a time where you can crack masses of books and give them all a plus 2, it's proof of a scam.

Same model as aram (all things comics on ebay). He and his buddies have been busted so many times on here that he's finally settled on a bit different model. He now cracks and lists the book with no grade, or a vague grade, and throws in a bunch of meaningless adjectives (wonderful, awesome, fantastic, very nice, etc), resto becomes tiny, slight and a bit, blah blah.

Both of these crumbs are the type of people who 40 years ago would be selling used cars and rolling back the odometers.

I must admit that I can't understand this practice either. If you really believe the book was undergraded buy it, crack it and resubmit it. Otherwise you are trying to deceive the buyer.

I don't know anything about papamig. I was just making a general comment. We've had the debate here many times before about how long the grading tree should extend

You can still easily roll back an odometer, and if the vehicle has never been serviced at a shop that reports mileage to one of the car verification services, you'll never be able to dispute it.

Well while we're on the subject...steer clear of this notorious crackhead...cracks out CGC restored books and then bumps the grade one or two or more grades...and presumably if it's just a dot of color touch or super-subtle aspect of resto, sells the books as unrestored...

Bad bad mojo! :censored::boo:

all_things_comics

http://www.ebay.com/sch/all_things_comics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654

formerly bijoubaby05...cdpaoli...lexerific...aram321...etal...

He just won my Avengers #1 PLOD 6.5 doh!

Im sure it will turn up on Ebay as an 8 or so in the near future

Do you have a pre-slab scan?

Well while we're on the subject...steer clear of this notorious crackhead...cracks out CGC restored books and then bumps the grade one or two or more grades...and presumably if it's just a dot of color touch or super-subtle aspect of resto, sells the books as unrestored...

all_things_comics

http://www.ebay.com/sch/all_things_comics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654

I just followed your link and looked at two of his books (All Winners #1 and NY World's Fair 1939), he lists the restoration on both books. I don't agree with the grade on the All Winners, but his grade on the NY WF seems to be pretty fair.

Just sampling his listings, not meant as an endorsement

I put a bid on that NY World's Fair this afternoon, but retracted it when I realized it was bijoubaby(thanks to the boards). It is a nice book, but I don't want to do business with those guys. And who knows what they might not be disclosing? They just aren't trustworthy.

You can still easily roll back an odometer, and if the vehicle has never been serviced at a shop that reports mileage to one of the car verification services, you'll never be able to dispute it.

Don't even have to roll it back on cars with five digit ODO's. Why did they even make that? I guess they figured the car would be garbage by 50k anyway. lol

My Caddy says 70k on the ODO, but if it turned out to be 270 I wouldn't be surprised.

all_things_comics

I just followed your link and looked at two of his books (All Winners #1 and NY World's Fair 1939), he lists the restoration on both books. I don't agree with the grade on the All Winners, but his grade on the NY WF seems to be pretty fair.

Just sampling his listings, not meant as an endorsement

I put a bid on that NY World's Fair this afternoon, but retracted it when I realized it was bijoubaby(thanks to the boards). It is a nice book, but I don't want to do business with those guys. And who knows what they might not be disclosing? They just aren't trustworthy.

:o I really need to stop skimming these threads and read the fine print. doh!

And before that Harley sold it as an 8.5, and before that Terry O'Neil called it an 8.0, and before that Dave Alexander said it was a 9.0, and I think I once heard the original owner say it was Mint.

Now that is full disclosure

I think I have a business idea. Comicfax (like Carfax). Before buying any comic, just say, "Show me the Comicfax!"

:P