• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel sold original art in 1973

28 posts in this topic

Conan 22?? Ughhhh ...

I know, right? Unbelievable. And if you look at the art list, a last minute hand written inclusion of 20 pages from Spiderman #11 is included. Sigh....

So, does anyone know if all of this art is still intact and owned as part of the permanent collection at the Winnipeg museum?

This is now a seven figure collection by the way.

Scott

there are few solutions that will never happen

1Marvel can pay the artists current market value of their original art

2Marvel could attempt to buy the work back and return it.

Since Stan lee was the one who approved the sale and named the price, he could attempt to do the above.

3 The art could be put up for auction and museum should split the proceeds with the artists. The return on the thousand dollar investment will still be a windfall of profit for them

So, does anyone know if all of this art is still intact and owned as part of the permanent collection at the Winnipeg museum?

Good question. The article was amended to say that the exhibition was last displayed in 2006.

That is so :insane: I grew up in Winnipeg and volunteered at the WAG when I was in School. For its size and the size of the city the WAG is a top notch gallery with great curators and conservationists on staff (well at least it was in the 90s). I remember hearing that they had some illustration art in the archives, but I always thought it was strip art, or Sundays. Too bad I didn't inquire further as it would have been cool to see the art in person.

As an aside, if anyone here is just a fan of art in general, or wants to enrich the cultural content experience for their children to include something outside of XBox 360. I highly recommend having them volunteer at an Art Gallery. I had a really great experience doing it that I only appreciate more as I get older.