• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Ultimate Spider-Man Over-Stayed its Welcome?

84 members have voted

1. 1. 1

32 posts in this topic

I don't think it's perfect, but it's your basic solid book. Bagley's artwork is not extremely noteworthy, and Bendis doesn't take many risks with his characters or storytelling (apparently killing a main character last ish is something of an event, though I don't know how it will impact things long-term). I've been trying for a while to stop buying the issues and wait for trades or even hardbacks to come out, but I can't. This is hard since it comes out every 2-3 weeks, and you have the same creative team every issue giving an unusual feeling of continuity to both the story and the look. I was never really into Spider-man growing up, though I am familiar with the major events of the series, so to me a little reinvention isn't the heresy, waste, or rip-off some people see it to be.

BTW, Barnes & Noble bookstores have a nice deal with Marvel going. In addition to $13 softcover versions of Masterworks (I just got X-Men 101-110 today), they have a huge hardcover of Ultimate Spider-man 1-39 plus the special in one volume for $40. Makes me think about selling mine off and going HC.

You could go here and get the original 3 HCs for the same price as the giant B&N book. 3 HCs are much more manageable as well. =)

$40 for $90 in HCs is just nutty!

While I don't have the BN HC, I did look at it at the bookstore. I was suprised about how well it is manageable. I thought having a book that big would prevent from seeing the full page, but it does not.

Look - if you don't like it - don't buy it. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and would like it to stay. Let those folks who like it enjoy it in peace and enough about trying to end it.

Rest assured some jo posting on a message board isn't going to derail a book that is bringing in bucks. So, as long as that happens USM will be around for a long time. grin.gif

I am probably in the minority on this issue. I would get rid of the Amazing Spider-man and the rest of the regular Marvel Universe and Marvel Knights Universe before I would get rid of Ultimate Spider-man and the rest of the Ultimate Universe. IMHO, Marvel has really screwed up the regular Marvel Universe with all the re-launches and over saturating the market with too many X-men and Spidey related comics. And... the 40+ years of continuity has become too cumbersome and confusing.

I am probably in the minority on this issue. I would get rid of the Amazing Spider-man and the rest of the regular Marvel Universe and Marvel Knights Universe before I would get rid of Ultimate Spider-man and the rest of the Ultimate Universe. IMHO, Marvel has really screwed up the regular Marvel Universe with all the re-launches and over saturating the market with too many X-men and Spidey related comics. And... the 40+ years of continuity has become too cumbersome and confusing.

ditto, i think ultimate universe is a great thing, it brings in the more, new comic readers, (hell i was brought in with ultimate spider-man) i know all the "comic vets" will think its [!@#%^&^], just because its new! but the thing is, it makes money for marvel, because its updated story lines for the modern teenagers and i think the art is fantastic.

don't get me wrong i would love to own some of the old amazing spider-man, uncanny x-men, etc... but they r just too damn expensive. IMO ultimate comics is the best chance of owning some originals (not reprints of old golden age/silver age comics) while still can read a super-hero from the start, origin.

I enjoy the book. Aside from Daredevil, it's my favorite Marvel book.

I was out of the hobby for so many years, that there is no way I would want to catch up on all the stuff that happened in Amazing (I quit collecting ASM right around Carnage's intro).

Apart from a few not-so-great arcs, the title has been enjoyable. I like the new take, on the classic tale. thumbsup2.gif