• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best single issue

55 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this last night (couldn't sleep 893frustrated.gif). What is the best single comic I have ever read? Not story arc, but single comic. Considered Sandman #31, 50, X-men 141, FF Annual #2, Hellblazer #28, Uncle Scrooge #13 among many others but I decided that Swamp Thing #21 is my favorite single comic.

Alan Moore was really on top form here in - from idea to execution. He completely turning the whole Swamp Thing mythos on it's head without invaliding everything that went before, along with powerful, yet lyrical writing. The opening still sticks with me as bits and pieces of it float through my mind at odd times. The artwork compliments the story perfectly. I have a hard time coming up with a better single comic out there.

Anyway, what do you guys pick as the best single comic?

... among many others but I decided that Swamp Thing #21 is my favorite single comic.

Alan Moore was really on top form here in - from idea to execution. He completely turning the whole Swamp Thing mythos on it's head without invaliding everything that went before, along with powerful, yet lyrical writing. The opening still sticks with me as bits and pieces of it float through my mind at odd times.

"It's raining in Washington tonight."

Very true about "The Anatomy Lesson" sticking in one's head. Twenty years after having read it I still remember most of the book. That's a rarity for me.

Best Comic Now: Watchmen 6

Best Comic Teen: X-Men 141

Best Comic: Tyke: Captain Marvel 32 (or 33)

Can't argue with any of those, 'cept the Captain Marvel because I haven't read it. X-Men 141 blew my mind when I was 13.

Still Daredevil #181 for me (which, after re-reading it again this week, I've now read probably a hundred or more times). Was with my buddy at the San Diego Con who had never read a comic book in his life - he asked me if he were to buy one book, what would it be...I told him to buy Miller's Daredevil Visionaries Vol. 2 (which he bought from 'House). I thought Watchmen might be a little too much for one's introduction to the comic world and wasn't sure if he would be turned off or not by the less realistic Miller artwork in DKR, so I thought DD would be the best choice.

Another Alan Moore story I always loved was Superman Annual 11.

Is that the one that end with the line "This was an imaginary story. But aren't they all?" Or something similar to that? thumbsup2.gif

My fav's:

SOST #21 - Classic for all the reasons mentioned.

Miracleman #15 - the single greatest "Comic Battle" ever. Another Moore classic.

Also, always really liked Sandman #13 (the issue where he meets Hobbes) and #50.

Watchmen #11? (where the baddie says, "Do it, Dan?......I did it 15 minutes ago!" (sorry I can't recall the entire speech). That was one of the biggest "Oh Sh*t" moments I've ever read.

Alan Moore Rules! cloud9.gif

The best comics I've ever read:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33

TALES FROM THE CRYPT #32("Tain't The Meat...It's the Humanity!" by Al Feldstein and Jack Davis)

SHOCK SUSPENSE #9("Carrion Death!" by Crandall, Bradbury's "October Game" by Jack Kamen, plus great stories by Wally Wood and Jack Davis)

DONALD DUCK #26("Trick or Treat!" by Carl Barks)

FOUR COLOR #29("Donald Duck and the Mummy's Ring" by Barks)

BATMAN #1(all time favorite key book, with the first Joker, first Catwoman, and that great, early Kane/Moldoff/Robinson art)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #'s121 and 122

1. Superman Annual 11

2. Sandman 50

3. Fantastic Four 51

4. Swamp Thing 21

5. Swamp Thing 53 ( never on any lists - GO READ THIS BOOK!)

6. Amazing Spider-Man 153

7. Cerebus 1

Is that the one that end with the line "This was an imaginary story. But aren't they all?" Or something similar to that?

No, I think that's from "Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow" Part 2, published in Action Comics 623.

Logical Favourite Comic/Issue:

Saga of the Swamp Thing 21 "The Anatomy Lesson" by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and John Totlebon.

(how original!)

Sentimental Favourite Comic/Issue:

Marvel Team-Up 78: Spider-Man & Red Sonja by Claremont, John Byrne and Terry Austin.

Favourite Story:

"The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man" from ASM248 by Roger Stern and Ron Frenz.

Kev

Strange tales #89 Fin Fang Foom, I've always thought was a Great story an it has always stuck in my mind. insane.gif

Then I would say Amazing spiderman#1 an Xmen #1 cloud9.gif

There are lotsa others that were very good..But the list would be super long hehe 893whatthe.gif

X-men #137 because it made me cry! shy.gif

Ditto!

(although, I didnt really cry...I was just very sad. frown.gif)

You know, Bendis' issue where DD fights Bullseye is not one of the best issues ever written, but for some reason it just stands out in my mind as a book that really grabbed my attention. So it wasn't great comic writing, but it was extremely successful.

SA & BA: ASM #121. The death of Gwen Stacy absolutely blew away this 9 yr old when it came out.

MODERN: Avengers #22. "Ultron. We would have words with thee." Still sends shivers down my spine.

thumbsup2.gif