• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elektra movie

26 posts in this topic

theres a full page front cover ad in Daily Variety today announcing the finish of principle photography! Opening Day is January 14th.

Guess they arent worrying about Academy Award consideration!!!!!

also, the first week of january is considered death row for movies thatget dumped to theatres.

But on the bright side, adoring critics can safelt and HONESTLY call it "THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE SEEN THIS YEAR!!"

seriously.

I thought this film was coming out in Feb? They moved it up?

The way i take this info is that the studio saw how bad warner brothers did with a female superhero movie, catwoman.

They are not taking into consideration howevere that Elektra is staying very close to it's comic roots, which was why most comic geeks like myself wrere not hip to catwoman.

As a comicbook geek I have to say I am excited about Elektra because it stays almost true to it's original source material and I enjoyed her chracater in Dare Devil.

I am making a perdictionthat this even with a january opening will beat catwoman.

As a comicbook geek I have to say I am excited about Elektra because it stays almost true to it's original source material and I enjoyed her chracater in Dare Devil.

Ahem as a comicbook geek you woudl know its "Daredevil" One word

January releases are bad news. I've even seen TV stories about how studios time their "stinkers" for January releases

Definitely. It might be that the studio feels the movie will tank, but still needs to release it theatrically to fill the contractual requirements and keep the Marvel licenses.

Bingo! January release.

Now whatever the cause, there is NO positive reason to release a movie in January.

Hasn't there been a surprise or two with a January movie?

Oh definitely. but some cream must rise to the top in any block of movies, no matter how bad teh studios think they are. But when You Got Served is #11, you know you're not in good company. 27_laughing.gif

Lately, the crapola does tend to get shifted to January, like the classic example: The Alamo.

Oh definitely. but some cream must rise to the top in any block of movies, no matter how bad teh studios think they are. But when You Got Served is #11, you know you're not in good company. 27_laughing.gif

Lately, the crapola does tend to get shifted to January, like the classic example: The Alamo.

Black Hawk Down

A Beautiful Mind

Traffic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the ones that are HI-lighted are the ones with the opening weekend was a HUGE % of their total. what about the $100 million plus movies that were realeased in January with low box office opening weekend? sometimes you can't always be right, i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just saying you're not always right.

what about the $100 million plus movies that were realeased in January with low box office opening weekend?

Not to mention a lot of those movies were actually released in December (Oscar release season), but their 30-day period crossed over to January.

January releases (lately especially) are usually total crapola.

Black Hawk Down

A Beautiful Mind

Traffic

Nice try, but those were all DECEMBER releases, in order to qualify for the Academy Awards. makepoint.gif

Just going off facts.

Not ONE of those movies opened in December and had the weekend shift into January. foreheadslap.gif Sometimes the BS gets so thick in here that I can hardly breathe. Facts? What are those? And more to the point, who needs them? Let's cast them aside and scream, [!@#%^&^] and moan and talk about people's damaged brain stems so that I can be right!!!!

Yes. January releases

Im not totally positive, since I dont see years there... But I think some of the larger films listed as January openings arent really...

(Beautiful Mind and Traffic for example) really "opened" in December as limited releases (one theatre in NY and LA) to qualify for Academy Awards consideration. Followed by wide releases after the holidays to capitolize on Top Ten Best lists abd GGlobe noms etc etc

so they dont count as stinker Jan openings that surprisingly did well!!!

Not ONE of those movies opened in December and had the weekend shift into January. foreheadslap.gif Sometimes the BS gets so thick in here that I can hardly breathe. Facts? What are those? And more to the point, who needs them? Let's cast them aside and scream, [!@#%^&^] and moan and talk about people's damaged brain stems so that I can be right!!!!

movie_1.jpg

movie_2.jpg

movie_3.jpg

....and , after a secong look at that site, there is a ** notation that that clarifies the grosses listed as "FIRST WEEK OF WIDE RELEASE"

Beautiful Mind Won Best Pic etc in Spring 2002, opened in Dec 2001 in NY and LA

so taking out those three winners leave a January full of losers.... as expected.