• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WARNING: Watch out for altered Bronze-Age Price Variants in PGX holders.

98 posts in this topic

So I had a variant book once that had a neatly clipped UPC box. I purchased a regular version, sent both copies off, and a month later the book had been restored beautifully. The pictures are in the boardmembers thread in the resto section.

Is too far of a leap to believe that a similar operation could have been performed on the price box of these fakes? Cutout, replace, submit.

Without knowing what is on the inside covers as I type this, perhaps what is there, or the placement of the box on the cover precludes scammers from obtaining a cheap 35 cent variant donor book (any) to harvest the price box, and therefore the use of the regular font from another SW1 (reprint) was required.

(shrug)

Why destroy a cheap variant? I always thought the price logo was taken from the 1st wave of giant size marvels?

So I had a variant book once that had a neatly clipped UPC box. I purchased a regular version, sent both copies off, and a month later the book had been restored beautifully. The pictures are in the boardmembers thread in the resto section.

Is too far of a leap to believe that a similar operation could have been performed on the price box of these fakes? Cutout, replace, submit.

Without knowing what is on the inside covers as I type this, perhaps what is there, or the placement of the box on the cover precludes scammers from obtaining a cheap 35 cent variant donor book (any) to harvest the price box, and therefore the use of the regular font from another SW1 (reprint) was required.

(shrug)

Why destroy a cheap variant? I always thought the price logo was taken from the 1st wave of giant size marvels?

Good to see you get your posting rights back. Your kid figure out his dad's a dork yet?

Good to see you get your posting rights back. Your kid figure out his dad's a dork yet?

He turned 6 today. Can you believe that? No travel in a few months, going crazy down in basement. You know I can't stay away from a variant thread, brings back memories of the good ole days.

What have you been up to?

He turned 6 today. Can you believe that? No travel in a few months, going crazy down in basement. You know I can't stay away from a variant thread, brings back memories of the good ole days.

Mostly, just this;

154614_10200313288259633_1018691920_n.jpg

I'm sure you feel my pain, such as it is.

Otherwise, working from home for a GREAT company, paying bills, steadfastly ignoring the temptation to take fliers on cheap lots for resale. You know, the usual. How the tennis? Quit smoking yet? (shrug)

Mostly, just this;

Otherwise, working from home for a GREAT company, paying bills, steadfastly ignoring the temptation to take fliers on cheap lots for resale. You know, the usual. How the tennis? Quit smoking yet? (shrug)

:o Finally joined the club huh? you're going to be 100 at high school graduation. Tennis ok, still playing singles. Our neighborhood team is up to A-3 which is entertaining to say the least. I still sneak a few at poker, but mostly done since my daughter was born. The wife used to throw water on me from the deck when I'd go out there.

Mostly, just this;

:o Finally joined the club huh? you're going to be 100 at high school graduation. Tennis ok, still playing singles. Our neighborhood team is up to A-3 which is entertaining to say the least. I still sneak a few at poker, but mostly done since my daughter was born. The wife used to throw water on me from the deck when I'd go out there.

Yeah, I'm hoping to avoid having to use a walker at some point in his pre-college life. Went back to the well, eh? Congrats! Hope she takes after her mom in the looks department or you're going to need a wheelbarrow full of gold for her dowry. Effing lol at A tossing water on you. I would have paid good money to see that. Which for me, as you know, is well into two digits. Hope Ernesto is doing well and out of jail :wishluck:

Mostly, just this;

Yeah, I'm hoping to avoid having to use a walker at some point in his pre-college life. Went back to the well, eh? Congrats! Hope she takes after her mom in the looks department or you're going to need a wheelbarrow full of gold for her dowry. Effing lol at A tossing water on you. I would have paid good money to see that. Which for me, as you know, is well into two digits. Hope Ernesto is doing well and out of jail :wishluck:

I feel like a fly on the bedroom wall. :eek:

Just another reason I would never buy PGX
Buying PGX books or submitting to PGX = a fool and his money are quickly parted.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, for CGC), this seems to be the way of the comic world. I would never send a book to PGX based on situations shared on here.

On the other hand, I've cracked open about a dozen PGX books that I was able to buy very cheap, and every one was fine. I paid less than I would for a raw book for them and believe I've gotten great bargins on them.

On the other hand, I've cracked open about a dozen PGX books that I was able to buy very cheap, and every one was fine. I paid less than I would for a raw book for them and believe I've gotten great bargins on them.

Yes, there was a time I experienced that as well. Batman PGX 9.4s submitted to CGC and coming back beautiful 9.8s. I wondered if that was PGX seeding the early market so later on it would be assumed they undergrade.

(shrug)

With the games played over the past few years from a potential PGX employee/owner/whatever where he cracks out mid-tier CGC books and then regrades, Lord know what you will end up with.

Every person has a degree of risk they are comfortable with. On occasion, i've found a book from that company that falls into that. If a book is going to cost me what I might spend on a lunch, I accept more risk than a book that equals a nice steak at Peter Lugers.

You are right in that everybody has their risk level when it comes to comics. And I realize there are less risks involved when you are looking over books at a show first-hand.

But there have been some sharp dealers on here that have purchased key Golden Age books and found out later something like a back cover has been swapped out.

You just have to know your limits.

Well, I gues you may have figured it out and will not get burned. Others have not, and learned a lesson.

I'll just keep buying my raw and CGC books, and call it good.