• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WARNING: Watch out for altered Bronze-Age Price Variants in PGX holders.

98 posts in this topic

Just to let everyone know, the situation with these 2 books is being taken care of. I am certainly glad that someone noticed this, but we do wish people would contact us directly about stuff such as this so we can address it sooner. I just happened across this on the boards today.

For future reference, the ComicLink office number is 617-517-0062. My direct extension is 102 and I am reachable Monday through Friday from 9AM to about 7PM ET. If you don't get me, please leave a message and I will ring you back ASAP.

You can also reach me directly at dgillock@comiclink.com or through a PM (though admittedly I check my emails much more frequently than my PMs).

-Douglas Gillock

Consignment Director, ComicLink

I hope it was clear in my posts as it was certainly my intent to warn that there is a problem with PGX (but not ComicLink) and their encapsulating altered price variants as genuine.

I stated in my post that I both use and recommend ComicLink and have always known you to resolve any issue in an appropriate way. I say the same for CGC.

I am not sure how PGX will respond if they do indeed respond at all. If I were you, I would ask them to make you and the buyer whole on the transaction and if they don't, I would reconsider allowing books encapsulated by them into your auctions. I believe that allowing PGX books to be listed side by side with the CGC books gives them a legitimacy that is not warranted. Maybe PGX will respond in a way that will change my mind, but there is much more evidence to the contrary.

Oh yes, I would certainly begin holding your breath for a PGX response that would actually read as though it was done by a real company and not banged out by some guy in his kitchen.

I am sure this is alllll a giant misunderstanding. I mean, these variants have only been known about for like ten years or so and the price font is completely different, but it's not in, like, a different colour or anything. How much accuracy can you expect from a professional grading "Xpert?" I mean, it's not like he can ask anyone else for their opinion or do a marginally thorough resto check, eh?

Oh yes, I would certainly begin holding your breath for a PGX response that would actually read as though it was done by a real company and not banged out by some guy in his kitchen.

I am sure this is alllll a giant misunderstanding. I mean, these variants have only been known about for like ten years or so and the price font is completely different, but it's not in, like, a different colour or anything. How much accuracy can you expect from a professional grading "Xpert?" I mean, it's not like he can ask anyone else for their opinion or do a marginally thorough resto check, eh?

Literate Sal is back. :cloud9:

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how making the amount of money they would off of this is worth the potential trouble it could bring into one's life.

There are plenty of people who will walk a mile to steal nickel.

I know, just don't understand.

It's about principles, beliefs, and your world view.

When some thinks they're "entitled" to that nickel... look out.

Just to let everyone know, the situation with these 2 books is being taken care of. I am certainly glad that someone noticed this, but we do wish people would contact us directly about stuff such as this so we can address it sooner. I just happened across this on the boards today.

For future reference, the ComicLink office number is 617-517-0062. My direct extension is 102 and I am reachable Monday through Friday from 9AM to about 7PM ET. If you don't get me, please leave a message and I will ring you back ASAP.

You can also reach me directly at dgillock@comiclink.com or through a PM (though admittedly I check my emails much more frequently than my PMs).

-Douglas Gillock

Consignment Director, ComicLink

I hope it was clear in my posts as it was certainly my intent to warn that there is a problem with PGX (but not ComicLink) and their encapsulating altered price variants as genuine.

I stated in my post that I both use and recommend ComicLink and have always known you to resolve any issue in an appropriate way. I say the same for CGC.

I am not sure how PGX will respond if they do indeed respond at all. If I were you, I would ask them to make you and the buyer whole on the transaction and if they don't, I would reconsider allowing books encapsulated by them into your auctions. I believe that allowing PGX books to be listed side by side with the CGC books gives them a legitimacy that is not warranted. Maybe PGX will respond in a way that will change my mind, but there is much more evidence to the contrary.

I saw that (my bolds) and it was clear to me. I appreciate you saying so as well.

I just got a really bad feeling thinking about Marvel Value Stamp books in PGX holders. I'm wondering how many PGX Hulk 181 are...ahem...missing something. Has there been a report of MVS-less books being slabbed by PGX (or scammer Ryan Elliott) in a non-qualified holder?

I just got a really bad feeling thinking about Marvel Value Stamp books in PGX holders. I'm wondering how many PGX Hulk 181 are...ahem...missing something. Has there been a report of MVS-less books being slabbed by PGX (or scammer Ryan Elliott) in a non-qualified holder?
Not yet but then again how many have been cracked? hm

PGX involved in another scam? I'm shocked. meh

I have a feeling the day PGX books will not be allowed on eBay is coming soon.

And I agree with whoever it was that said putting PGX books in an auction alongside CGC books is a bad idea. As for anyone getting suckered by a PGX book, there's a lot of info out there about PGX's lack of professional credibility and it's connection to known scammers. It's too bad people don;t do their homework first.

And I agree with whoever it was that said putting PGX books in an auction alongside CGC books is a bad idea. As for anyone getting suckered by a PGX book, there's a lot of info out there about PGX's lack of professional credibility and it's connection to known scammers. It's too bad people don;t do their homework first.

But, but, but...they're cheaper. And their ToTs are, like, lots faster too!

$%28KGrHqRHJ!4E9qLfmzIOBPdpIC%281-g~~60_3.JPG$%28KGrHqVHJBkE9s!ebqV0BPdpInh84!~~60_3.JPG

5lnfjk.jpg

Same Serial Number different (Iron Fist 14) book? Notice the miss-wrap. EBay Item 260993375618

Whoa,,,almost wondering if PGX is the victim here????

No way they could be this daft.

Yeah. Their flawless track record makes me question that the problem is the fault of PGX.

Sold on eBay 2011:

1zdq7fk.jpg

Sold on eBay 2012:

2hpt7ic.jpg

How then to explain the fact that those are different labels, WITH THE SAME "UNIQUE" SERIAL NUMBER? (Notice that the "$.35 Variant" notation flip-flop with the page quality) doh!

One possible explanation: they re-holdered different fake books assuming they are the same ones. Thus, missing the counterfeit check twice. That copy that sold in 2012 has a more authentic-looking 35c, but who knows what is going on with the price block.

This is the problem with PGX books: too many unanswered questions and :ohnoez:

How then to explain the fact that those are different labels, WITH THE SAME "UNIQUE" SERIAL NUMBER? (Notice that the "$.35 Variant" notation flip-flop with the page quality)

I wonder if the buyer the first go-around discovered it was a fake and put the screws to PGX to produce a real copy. Paying $1300 for a fake could be motivation enough to get PGX to do the situation right. Whether they replaced it with a legit 35 cent variant is impossible to tell from those pictures, but given their track record, I highly doubt it's real. Here's what a real one looks like:

IronFist_14_35cPV_sized.jpg

$%28KGrHqRHJ!4E9qLfmzIOBPdpIC%281-g~~60_3.JPG$%28KGrHqVHJBkE9s!ebqV0BPdpInh84!~~60_3.JPG

5lnfjk.jpg

Same Serial Number different (Iron Fist 14) book? Notice the miss-wrap. EBay Item 260993375618

More likely that someone at PGX is working to improve the scam. That is a great catch. Thank goodness for screen grabs and the boardies who save them.

Don't expect ebay to police the grading companies any time soon, but Comiclink, Heritage and other auction venues should institute a policy of not allowing PGX holdered books. The evidence is pretty strong at this point that it's not just a matter of missing restoration and doctored books, but that there is a greater risk of undisclosed issues than there are with raw books.