• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just received my copy of Gil Kane's Artist's Edition book...

30 posts in this topic

1. Wally Wood

2. Mad

3. Simonson

4. Mazzucchelli

5. Romita

6. Aragones

Those are the one's I've read in order of most favorite.

I still need to read Kubert, Stevens and Kane so that list is subject to change. :)

Thanks! Which is the best one?

The Mad AE is amazing, 2nd best AE book yet, and I have them all.

For me,

1) Stevens

2) Wood

3) Simonson

Oh, if a BWS of Red Nails ever appears, the list will change.

It seems everyone is getting caught up with listing the books in terms of artist preference. Completely understandable, as they are 'Artists Editions', but in terms of the quality of the production, the Mazz Born Again Edition is, hands down, the best so far.

Got mine today!

My faves, in order. I included the portfolios, since they also are full size repros of full stories of OA.

1. Wood

2. Mad

3. Romita Spidey

4. Wrightson Muck Monster portfolio

5. Kane Spidey

6. Adams Thrill Kill portfolio

This is the spanish edition that contained SpM #121 and 122. It was published in the 70s, and this kind of editions didn't use the original cover, but a recreation/reinterpretation by a spanish artist.

In this case, the artist thought that a front shot of SpM worked better than the original shot from the back. What do you think? Back then I detested these covers because I prefered the original ones, but in this case, the artist could have a point...

Also note how in Spain we don't kid. The title of the story is: "The Death of Gwen Stacy!". No suspense, right in the jaw.

As curiousity, Marvel Tales removed a couple of pages of #121 and #122 to match the count page of that age. For the spanish edition, Marvel sent the files of Marvel Tales #121, with two pages missing, but fortunately they sent the files of SpM #122, so we could enjoy of the missing Epilogue in Marvel Tales #99.

verticespm121.jpg