• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just received my copy of Gil Kane's Artist's Edition book...

30 posts in this topic

...and I couldn't be happier.

I know that it sounds like a cliché, but it's a dream come true for a fan of that SpM run like me. I grew up reading these comics in awful spanish editions and they marked me in my youth. Now it's a real joy to be able to see how the original art look, and since it's so perfectly reproduced, I can have the fantasy that I'm holding the real art. Simply breathtaking. Highly recommended!

It's already worth the price just for the complete SpM #121. If you also have the cover, splash and a key interior page from #122, and other complete issues by Kane and Giacoia/Romita, it's a steal.

My only deception was that I expected the prelims of #121 which were posted for a long time in CAF. But anyway, this won't spoil the fun.

Again, I want to thank you publicly Scott Dunbier and the production team behind this high quality book, and all the collectors that made this possible, specially Mike Burkey.

Ferran

Wow - the Gil Kane edtion does sound GREAT. I was amazed at the wonderful contrast of having absolutely "no color" made in the Walt Simonson's ALIEN Artist's Edition. That was mindblowing! It should have been released back in the day completely in black and white.

BTW- Are there any prelims included in the Gil Kane edition?

I'm afraid that there are not prelims in the book, a pity...

These are a few samples of the prelims of SpM #121:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/RhLKKMEwZdI/AAAAAAAABZU/d9JWaLjjqu8/s1600/GilKaneSpm121pg01.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/RhLKDMEwZcI/AAAAAAAABZM/o8Vkqdsyw_U/s1600/GilKaneSpm121pg16.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/RhNo4WXUsGI/AAAAAAAABZ0/c5Hfb5QMmZ8/s1600/GilKaneSpm121pg20.jpg

The complete set was shown in CAF a few years ago. I wish I downloaded all of them back then. Shame on me!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/RhLKKMEwZdI/AAAAAAAABZU/d9JWaLjjqu8/s1600/GilKaneSpm121pg01.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/RhLKDMEwZcI/AAAAAAAABZM/o8Vkqdsyw_U/s1600/GilKaneSpm121pg16.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GffQlBTa-y8/RhNo4WXUsGI/AAAAAAAABZ0/c5Hfb5QMmZ8/s1600/GilKaneSpm121pg20.jpg

The complete set was shown in CAF a few years ago. I wish I downloaded all of them back then. Shame on me!

Yep, these were being offered around a few years ago. They are in a bound book and I believe that the asking price was 10K.

The market always has issues with non traditional presentations so many collectors had a resistance to it and wound up passing.

What could you do? Stick it on your bookshelf? Cut pages out and frame them?

Thanks for the kind words, happy you enjoyed the book.

As for the layouts, yes, it would have been a treat to put them in but the book was already 216 pages, our biggest yet in page count. I would not have known where to cut anything, and adding that many more pages would have pushed the price from $125 to $150—which I did not want to do. Sorry!

Best,

Scott

...and I couldn't be happier.

I know that it sounds like a cliché, but it's a dream come true for a fan of that SpM run like me. I grew up reading these comics in awful spanish editions and they marked me in my youth. Now it's a real joy to be able to see how the original art look, and since it's so perfectly reproduced, I can have the fantasy that I'm holding the real art. Simply breathtaking. Highly recommended!

It's already worth the price just for the complete SpM #121. If you also have the cover, splash and a key interior page from #122, and other complete issues by Kane and Giacoia/Romita, it's a steal.

My only deception was that I expected the prelims of #121 which were posted for a long time in CAF. But anyway, this won't spoil the fun.

Again, I want to thank you publicly Scott Dunbier and the production team behind this high quality book, and all the collectors that made this possible, specially Mike Burkey.

Ferran

Thanks for the kind words, happy you enjoyed the book.

As for the layouts, yes, it would have been a treat to put them in but the book was already 216 pages, our biggest yet in page count. I would not have known where to cut anything, and adding that many more pages would have pushed the price from $125 to $150—which I did not want to do. Sorry!

No need to apologize, Scott. Although I would gladly pay $25 more for the extra pages including the prelims, I perfectly understand that the wiser publishing move was to keep the price and pages as you did. I wouldn't sacrifice the awesome ten pages sequence with action to include the prelims, either. Or the cover gallery.

This was incidental, and it doesn't diminish the quality or the value of your wonderful book.

Keep the great work coming!

Best,

Ferran

I like this layout more than the final page! thanks for sharing.

You're welcome!

In the scan of the original art published in the book, you can see traces of the finished blue pencils by Kane with the arm in the position of the layout, and how Romita embellished the original drawing, leaving his trademark style.

Imho, Kane and Romita are one of the best creatives teams in Marvel history, and it's a thrill that the book contains two complete books by them.

Hey Ferran,

Thank you so much for including the prelim links - those are fantastic!

Luckily, I do own one of the original Kane prelims from ASM #102 featuring Morbius, The Lizard and Spider-man:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=770963

I had never heard about the hard bound prelim book that was once offered for $10,000. That is interesting.

You're welcome!

In the scan of the original art published in the book, you can see traces of the finished blue pencils by Kane with the arm in the position of the layout, and how Romita embellished the original drawing, leaving his trademark style.

Imho, Kane and Romita are one of the best creatives teams in Marvel history, and it's a thrill that the book contains two complete books by them.

Agreed. Romita's finish over Kane's dynamic camera angles were fantastic. Each artist supplied something the other lacked.

Hi Scott! This book looks great. I have been trying to hold out on buying it until I hear what's in the limited/special edition. Do you have any information to share about that yet? Keep up the excellent work! Best regards, Lee Benaka

Thank you, Lee.

We should due announcing soon, less than a week.

Best,

Scott

Hi Scott! This book looks great. I have been trying to hold out on buying it until I hear what's in the limited/special edition. Do you have any information to share about that yet? Keep up the excellent work! Best regards, Lee Benaka

Darkened detail of the last page of ASM #121, where it's clear the change in SpM's arm and how much Romita added to the Kane's pencils.

The originals in the complete books by Kane/Romita are juicy, because you can see the Kane's pencils under Romita's embelishment, and how much Romita retouched his own work using corrective white paint.

romitaasm121lastpagedet.jpg

Waiting for my Kane Spidey and MAD Artist's Editions to arrive. They're sitting at Canada Customs, waiting to be reviewed. :mad:

Meanwhile, my Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson Artist's Edition Portfolios arrived this past week, and the art and packaging of both are gorgeous.

As usual, first rate production values from IDW: the design and materials used for the portfolio sleeve are excellent. :applause: