• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Colletta Problem

135 posts in this topic

but I've no wish to be rude.

says the guy with the middle finger avatar? hm

:insane:

Something else I don't feel the need to explain to you. lol

First you question my liking for a Kirby cover . . . now you question my choice for an avatar . . .

What is it with you . . . have I upset you for having an opinion? hm

It's not as if we're poles apart on this . . . we all seem to like Jack's work on this thread (which isn't quite the same as me being aghast at the McSilly price paid for a McAwful McFarlane McSpidey cover). (shrug)

This thread seems to be running it's course. I'm very pleased with how long it's lasted! And it even turned up one or two interesting things. I haven't been able to confirm much in the way of younger artists wanting to be inked by Colletta, except Alan Kupperberg on Thor, he was psyched to get the classic look. Another talented youngster, whose name momentarily escapes me, had some pages given to Vinnie, and described it in an interview as a "typical punishment for missing your deadline". And then in an Amazon reviews forum I found a COMPLETELY unsubstantiated rumor to the effect that Neal Adams resented Colletta for advising Jenette Kahn to break off her affair with Adams (!?).

Yeah seriously... I never knew about that!

You still don't! I have NO evidence to support this anonymous internet claim. Anybody?

Someone earlier said Rich Buckler liked being inked by Colletta. I haven't found confirmation of that yet, but I have found out that RB was a giant Kirby Swiper! whole panels, even two panels in a row from FF 19 recycled into FF 153:

http://twogirlsaguyandsomecomics.blogspot.com/2009/01/family-matters-fantastic-fours-triumphs_23.html

Yeah seriously... I never knew about that!

You still don't! I have NO evidence to support this anonymous internet claim. Anybody?

Someone earlier said Rich Buckler liked being inked by Colletta. I haven't found confirmation of that yet, but I have found out that RB was a giant Kirby Swiper! whole panels, even two panels in a row from FF 19 recycled into FF 153:

http://twogirlsaguyandsomecomics.blogspot.com/2009/01/family-matters-fantastic-fours-triumphs_23.html

I'm not surprised by that at all.

I guess those Colletta inks are not hurting those 16 Thor pages offered on Comiclink . They are at $130,000 as of this posting. I'm thinking that maybe those "Soul Love "pages might be a steal for somebody!

Of course they are. Imagine the price if Sinnott or Giacoia inked them.

I guess those Colletta inks are not hurting those 16 Thor pages offered on Comiclink . They are at $130,000 as of this posting. I'm thinking that maybe those "Soul Love "pages might be a steal for somebody!

Thinking again, I wonder if this is true or not. On the regular panel page level I think it's clear that Sinnott pages command a premium and Colletta's are perhaps the least valued, all other factors being equal. But do the big money investors and dealers think the same way about major character pieces? Maybe having the biggest (I think?) Galactus image by the King is so valuable that the inks are a minor consideration.

Thinking again, I wonder if this is true or not. On the regular panel page level I think it's clear that Sinnott pages command a premium and Colletta's are perhaps the least valued, all other factors being equal. But do the big money investors and dealers think the same way about major character pieces? Maybe having the biggest (I think?) Galactus image by the King is so valuable that the inks are a minor consideration.

The inker matters in my opinion.

Scott

Scott

.....I can understand this in your case, as your OWN inking style is so polished and carefully crafted....quite the antithesis to Colletta. I only like Colletta on Thor and early Heck Iron Man....mainly because I always got a kind of wood block impression on Thor....kind of archaic and suited to the theme.....and on Heck because it seemed a good fit for Heck's spontaneous and sketchy style. You always had a knack for improving the pencils....even those of the best. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Scott

Made me laugh. [by the way, I agree.]

I presume Scott is saying the inker matters to the final price of this particular auction (Thor story), as well as that the inker matters in general!

I think so too. This story is obviously going to go high. It is full of spectacular panels and two great splashes. But when I imagine the majesty of these pages with Sinnott inks I can't believe it wouldn't go much higher.

The Soul Love pages I'm guessing will go for around 800.-1100. If they were inked by Royer, I would guess about 1800.