• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Key Issues...

52 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to comic collecting, and I mainly buy ASM for my personal collection. I'm trying to branch out with some newer key issues that have potential to increase in value. I was wondering, with all of the Marvel Now #1s being released this week and the next, which first issues would be good to pick up? There are so many, so I'm not sure which ones are worth getting. Please give me any help/advice you have. I knowno modern #1 is going to shoot up to $100+. For example, the Nightwing and Batman New 52 #1s are like $20-30. So thanks for any help you can offer!

Chase

You may cruise the Modern section and post there for better results. I cruise it routinely to get info on what to look for on my trips to the comic shop.

And welcome to the boards!

If your talking about investment potential I would stick with comics with low print runs and good stories. Most of them are being produced by IMAGE. The hottest one's right now are:

The Walking Dead

SAGA

Thief of Thieves

Peter Panzerfaust

NoWhere Men

Revival

All of the above had low print runs and are currently super hot on EBAY. Hope this helps.

You may cruise the Modern section and post there for better results. I cruise it routinely to get info on what to look for on my trips to the comic shop.

I just assumed you cruised the forum to pick up chicks.

This forum? No way. This place has got more sausage than a Hickory Farms store at Christmas.

This forum? No way. This place has got more sausage than a Hickory Farms store at Christmas.

I need to start paying more attention to screen names then. doh!

If your talking about investment potential I would stick with comics with low print runs and good stories. Most of them are being produced by IMAGE. The hottest one's right now are:

The Walking Dead

SAGA

Thief of Thieves

Peter Panzerfaust

NoWhere Men

Revival

All of the above had low print runs and are currently super hot on EBAY. Hope this helps.

NO. :facepalm:

lol

What did I say that you disagree with?

Nothing about hot moderns on eBay and Investment potential should ever be said in the same post.

WD #1 is without a doubt the best and most important book of the Modern-age, so if I had to pick from your list I would say that is the only major book to own (Honorable mention to #2 and #19). However buying any book while the market is red hot only leads to buyers remorse once the hype has died down. WD #1 is a great book (I own 2 copies), but it is still way to early to call that book a blue chip investment book jussssssst yet. Solid and desired book forever probably, right time to buy it though? That I would take the ladder.

All the rest are still suspect.

Every new Image #1 title book that comes out is instantly hoarded and the price is artificially raised.

I do give Image a lot of credit for introducing new characters and interesting story-lines compared to the house of broken ideas & re-boot city publishers Marvel/DC. However to give someone advice on "investment modern issues" is IMO leading down a money lose trail.

The list I would say includes a comic book as a solid investment is a short one.

My advise to the OP is collect what you like and everything else will take care of itself. (thumbs u

My advise to the OP is collect what you like and everything will take care of itself. (thumbs u

My advise would be to stick to proven keys from past ages of collecting. I understand that perhaps modern comic fans don't want to do that, but speculating in comics just released has always been a shoot.

My advise to the OP is collect what you like and everything else will take care of itself. (thumbs u

My advise would be to stick to proven keys from past ages of collecting. I understand that perhaps modern comic fans don't want to do that, but speculating in comics just released has always been a shoot.

We agree 2 times so far in the same year. :fear:

marvel print runs for main titles are pretty high, so its hard to 'speculate' but I guess you can catch try for an 'off' title like morbius, or thunderbolts. Hawkeye got hot because the early print run was low.

I had hopes for X-force and Cable...

I'm hoping they do a new Runaways...

good points sir but I think if one is careful they can make some money in today's moderns. For those who purchased SAGA #1 in CGC 9.8 a couple of months ago they can sell them today for three times the price. I purchased 9 NoWhere Men #1's at cover two months ago and just sold 4 of them for $150. One good rule for people that buy multiples is once the price doubles sell one copy for every two you purchased and now you have all your money back. For people who just purchase IMAGE #1's, not mini-series, they would have been way ahead if they were doing this.

IMO if an investor just sticks to IMAGE titles with low print runs and don't go crazy(purchasing 100 + issues of an issue) they will be fine as long as they flip their extras once they title doubles in value. That way they are playing with house money.

There are so many IMAGE #1's(not mini-series) that have come out the last year that have made significant profits. SAGA, Thief of Thieves, and Peter Panzerfaust are now over $200 in CGC 9.8. Revival is approaching $100 and I'm pretty sure Manhattan Projects has been selling for around $70. I know there are some recent titles that have not taken off yet(Blackacre, CLONE, Bedlam) but if an investor picked up 10 of every IMAGE #1 title this year, again not mini series, they would be WAY AHEAD. Of course the "bubble" could pop but if these investors were selling half their inventory when prices went way up they would have all of their original investment back.

Just remember one thing though. Even these shorter print Image books are still being horded and kept it pristine shape. If the print run is 5000 for instance, what percentage of that is going to be in the top grades? Quite a few I think.