• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Key Issues...

52 posts in this topic

You may cruise the Modern section and post there for better results. I cruise it routinely to get info on what to look for on my trips to the comic shop.

And welcome to the boards!

I just assumed you cruised the forum to pick up chicks.

This forum? No way. This place has got more sausage than a Hickory Farms store at Christmas.

I need to start paying more attention to screen names then. doh!

Yeah. And I don't think Comicdonna is really a girl.

good points sir but I think if one is careful they can make some money in today's moderns. For those who purchased SAGA #1 in CGC 9.8 a couple of months ago they can sell them today for three times the price. I purchased 9 NoWhere Men #1's at cover two months ago and just sold 4 of them for $150. One good rule for people that buy multiples is once the price doubles sell one copy for every two you purchased and now you have all your money back. For people who just purchase IMAGE #1's, not mini-series, they would have been way ahead if they were doing this.

IMO if an investor just sticks to IMAGE titles with low print runs and don't go crazy(purchasing 100 + issues of an issue) they will be fine as long as they flip their extras once they title doubles in value. That way they are playing with house money.

There are so many IMAGE #1's(not mini-series) that have come out the last year that have made significant profits. SAGA, Thief of Thieves, and Peter Panzerfaust are now over $200 in CGC 9.8. Revival is approaching $100 and I'm pretty sure Manhattan Projects has been selling for around $70. I know there are some recent titles that have not taken off yet(Blackacre, CLONE, Bedlam) but if an investor picked up 10 of every IMAGE #1 title this year, again not mini series, they would be WAY AHEAD. Of course the "bubble" could pop but if these investors were selling half their inventory when prices went way up they would have all of their original investment back.

Please re-read your post and you see why I disagree with you because you are stating a short-term model as opposed to long-term value.

Nothing about your counter argument shows any long-term modern investment value insight.

Your telling him how to make a small profit in the short-term. OP is asking about about Modern Key Issues. Most of the books you have mentioned would not be considered keys as of yet.

Bedlam and Revival I have a feeling will down 50% by this time next year if they are even collectible.

By the norm of today, until books such as Saga, Invincible, Chew, or ToT get a TV/movie deal they will never be valued higher than they are right now.

Just look at Sandman and Preacher. Because of lack of new material and/or media on screen publication they have tapered off for years now.

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 before TV deal: $500-600

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 after TV deal: $2000-3000

Now will WD #1 sustain its value after the show ends, probably not as much. However WD #1 is now and for the foreseeable future the AF 15 of the modern age.

Image again has done an amazing job over their competitors for introducing new and different characters unlike Marvel & DC, but to give advice to invest in every Image #1 is a recipe for disaster long-term. Short-term yeah you can feed all the sheep of clones we have in this world, but long-term you are probably investing in junk.

If the OP wants my advice I would say buy an WD #1 2 and 19 after the show ends because that ship has already sailed, and if you want a book that has intense upward easy money potential if the book ever gets a movie/TV deal is Y: The Last Man #1.

Again Modern Comics with the word investment is next to it is not a good view to have.

I would have assumed you all learned from the Return/Reign of Superman clone mentality. (I get a pass since I was only 12 :grin: )

Collect what you enjoy and have a nice cold glass of vodka and everything else usually takes care of itself. ;)

The convenient part of the entire discussion that always gets forgotten is how many other #1s are you buying that don't do a damn thing? I'm talking about Alpha Girl, Butcher Baker, etc.

If you buy $60 worth of #1s and one makes it to $50, you're still behind... How much drek did a speculator buy at the cost of a Saga, Bedlam or Revival #1? How many months of #1s do buyers get piled up before they get to a $200 Peter Panzerfaust? That part of the conversation never seems to get aired.

The convenient part of the entire discussion that always gets forgotten is how many other #1s are you buying that don't do a damn thing? I'm talking about Alpha Girl, Butcher Baker, etc.

If you buy $60 worth of #1s and one makes it to $50, you're still behind... How much drek did you buy at the cost of a Saga, Bedlam or Revival #1? How many months of #1s do buyers get piled up before they get to a $200 Peter Panzerfaust? That part of the conversation never seems to get aired.

:gossip:the trick is only buy the ones that are going to increase in value! :gossip:

REefidQ.jpg

:roflmao:

If you buy $60 worth of #1s and one makes it to $50, you're still behind... How much drek did you buy at the cost of a Saga, Bedlam or Revival #1? How many months of #1s do buyers get piled up before they get to a $200 Peter Panzerfaust? That part of the conversation never seems to get aired.

:gossip:the trick is only buy the ones that are going to increase in value! :gossip:

REefidQ.jpg

:roflmao:

Well, damn. I should have realized it was that easy to make money flipping moderns, what with all the Corvettes parked in front of the comic shop.

Please re-read your post and you see why I disagree with you because you are stating a short-term model as opposed to long-term value.

Nothing about your counter argument shows any long-term modern investment value insight.

We have no idea what the long term will bring. Same with silver age books. But if the modern investor sells in the short term and gets his initial investment back there really is no risk. Nobody can honestly say what will happen to titles like SAGA, Revival, and Peter Panzerfaust in the long term. SAGA and Revival could be 100 + issue titles and maybe get a TV show. On the other hand they could tank but if you got your original money back there is no gamble.

What I have learned on these boards is there seems to be some collectors who only collect golden/silver comics for investment. Of course there are some who only invest in the modern age. What's great about our hobby is there is something for everyone. Personally I collect from all ages and IMO there is plenty of modern issues that one can make money on. Like anything in life if people are disiplined and not afraid to sell when they have made a nice profit there is very little risk if you stick to titles with great stories and low print runs.

I thought I brought that up but if not I'm sorry. If in the last year a collector only purchased IMAGE #1 titles, say 10 of each issue and did not purchase mini-series, they would be way up. If someone purchased 10 issues of I LOVE TROUBLE that would have cost around $30-$35. I don't remember seeing more than 10 new titles in the last year that have not gone up in value but let's say there have been. That would be about $300 invested in titles that have not gone up. The profits from 10 issues each of Thief of Thieves #1, SAGA #1, Revival #1, Peter Panzerfaust #1 would easily pay for that.

Just dumping one PP #1 and Revival #1 would pretty much get the $300 right back. Plus there is a chance that the IMAGE titles that have not taken off still could. Bedlam #1 could become a $15 - $20 a year from now. The story is pretty good.

I thought I brought that up but if not I'm sorry. If in the last year a collector only purchased IMAGE #1 titles, say 10 of each issue and did not purchase mini-series, they would be way up. If someone purchased 10 issues of I LOVE TROUBLE that would have cost around $30-$35. I don't remember seeing more than 10 new titles in the last year that have not gone up in value but let's say there have been. That would be about $300 invested in titles that have not gone up. The profits from 10 issues each of Thief of Thieves #1, SAGA #1, Revival #1, Peter Panzerfaust #1 would easily pay for that.

Just dumping one PP #1 and Revival #1 would pretty much get the $300 right back. Plus there is a chance that the IMAGE titles that have not taken off still could. Bedlam #1 could become a $15 - $20 a year from now. The story is pretty good.

Well by all means, go ahead and jump in head first.

We have no idea what the long term will bring. Same with silver age books. But if the modern investor sells in the short term and gets his initial investment back there really is no risk. Nobody can honestly say what will happen to titles like SAGA, Revival, and Peter Panzerfaust in the long term. SAGA and Revival could be 100 + issue titles and maybe get a TV show. On the other hand they could tank but if you got your original money back there is no gamble.

What I have learned on these boards is there seems to be some collectors who only collect golden/silver comics for investment. Of course there are some who only invest in the modern age. What's great about our hobby is there is something for everyone. Personally I collect from all ages and IMO there is plenty of modern issues that one can make money on. Like anything in life if people are disiplined and not afraid to sell when they have made a nice profit there is very little risk if you stick to titles with great stories and low print runs.

Once again you are not saying anything about long-term.

Making money in the short-term any hack can do it.

Real Estate bubble in our over taxed and phony socal state comes to mind.

Since 2000 there is only around 3-4 books that have a chance for blue chip probability.

Pre-1965 that are a decent amount of long-term comic books that one can make safe returns on a book you buy at today's current market values.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I will take buying AF 15's over and over again as better long-term investment appreciation that Saga or ToT.

If you believe a Saga or ToT #1's (which ever #1 or variant etc, etc) is a good long-term investment than state your reasons.

The OP is I am assuming asking what is wort buying today that will have a decent return 10+ years from. So IMO every book Image you mentioned until they get a movie or TV deal would have a big time probability of long-term depreciation than growth.

My advice would be forget the Modern age and go into characters that are already established in American and Worldwide society.

All the books you have mentioned (besides WD #1) again are suspect till proven stable. Most of these Image books long-term are still speculative with an uncertain future. I mean listen Saga #1 could be the next big think if they made the movies, but till then I have seen countless examples of hyped up new books then a year later they are junk.

You are not investing or collecting. You are flipping. There is nothing wrong with it, but a spade is a spade. The guy didn't ask how to quick flip for money. He started talking about investing in modern keys. The books you listed were awesome for quick flips and dubious to the point of being perilous for the long hold. Listen to what other people are saying, read what the original poster is asking and you will go a bit further.

Or you could keep banging your shoe on the table re: quick Image #1 flips, which would also be awesome sauce.

It's my opinion that *investing* in anything beyond 1980 or so is a losing proposition, due to large print runs, larger supply in high grade due to collectors taking better care of them, better paper quality, etc.

For quick flips, moderns may be fine for the short-term, but for long term sustainability in terms of value, Golden, Silver and Bronze age comics will win every time.

Also a low print run is the most over hyped sales tactic probably ever. (shrug)

I know countless book that have low prints run, and I could owe every single copy of it.

If there is no demand for the book it doesn't matter how low the print-run is.

ASM 300 is all over the place, but yet they always sell in any grade at consistent prices.

The perfect storm of course is a low-print run mixed with high demand, but to assume just because a new #1 has a low print that should get you all excited is dumb.

Who are you barking at? You are replying to your own posts.

Just my little rant. :foryou:

Also I never consider a reply until you quote someones exact words.

Well, I agree with you, so you are right this time.

IMO if an investor just sticks to IMAGE titles with low print runs and don't go crazy(purchasing 100 + issues of an issue) they will be fine as long as they flip their extras once they title doubles in value. That way they are playing with house money.

There are so many IMAGE #1's(not mini-series) that have come out the last year that have made significant profits. SAGA, Thief of Thieves, and Peter Panzerfaust are now over $200 in CGC 9.8. Revival is approaching $100 and I'm pretty sure Manhattan Projects has been selling for around $70. I know there are some recent titles that have not taken off yet(Blackacre, CLONE, Bedlam) but if an investor picked up 10 of every IMAGE #1 title this year, again not mini series, they would be WAY AHEAD. Of course the "bubble" could pop but if these investors were selling half their inventory when prices went way up they would have all of their original investment back.

Like the Merril Lynch add say at the end "past results are not an indicator of future performance" or whatever.

Using your "flip extras once they double in value approach" here's the outcome:

Image had 27 books in 2012 that met your "#1s not miniseries" criteria.

If you bought 5 of each you would have ended up spending $405 on the books retail (so you could go thru the stack and pick out the best copies).

There are 9 winners and 18 "losers" in terms of value appreciation.

Selling the doubled value of the extras of the nine winners would net you $216 back on your $405 spend.

You'd take a loss on the $270 you spent on the "losers" that you couldn't sell anywhere.

So right now you have a remaining "spend" of $189 and still have 1 copy each of the 9 winners to show for the spend. Those 9 winners would currently be worth $543 or a net profit of +354.

So you are right looking back that would have worked. For 2012. Wonder what 2011 looked like...

33 books that met the criteria.

No big hits from what I can see. And only a few that are going for $10+ on the market. So a $390 investment would have lost nearly all of that in books that are readily available at $1.

So between 2011 and 2012 you would have at about even for the 2 years (if you sold off all your earners today and didnt worry about them losing or gaining value in the future).

that was fun!

Flip a coin for 2013!

Who are you barking at? You are replying to your own posts.

Just my little rant. :foryou:

Also I never consider a reply until you quote someones exact words.

Well, I agree with you, so you are right this time.

Grenade!!!!

You are not investing or collecting. You are flipping. There is nothing wrong with it, but a spade is a spade. The guy didn't ask how to quick flip for money. He started talking about investing in modern keys. The books you listed were awesome for quick flips and dubious to the point of being perilous for the long hold. Listen to what other people are saying, read what the original poster is asking and you will go a bit further.

Or you could keep banging your shoe on the table re: quick Image #1 flips, which would also be awesome sauce.

The OP also specifically mentioned the new Marvel #1s that are coming out right away. If you want to talk about perilous...