• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Key Issues...

52 posts in this topic

Listen to what other people are saying, read what the original poster is asking and you will go a bit further.

I am listening and I'm not trying to win some discussion. Purchasing 10 issues and selling 5 and keeping five is still investing IMO. If you want to call it flipping that's fine. My only point is there is money to be made in the modern era if one sticks to low print runs with good stories. Again in the last year if someone just purchased IMAGE #1 titles (not mini-series) they would be way ahead. In regards to long term I have no idea if they will continue to see a profit.

To each his own guys. I read this board daily for almost 6 months before I started collecting again. I was out of the hobby from 91 to the summer of 2012. I enjoy purchasing and reading comics. The system I described in my posts was suggested to me by someone who I have lots of respect for and who is making a good living by doing it. If you guys disagree that's fine as I'm not trying to win any argument. I'm just giving my opinion.

Again in the last year if someone just purchased IMAGE #1 titles (not mini-series) they would be way ahead.

And in the year previous you would have lost the same amount that you'd be ahead this year.

The guy who is being successful in this model, would have lost money the previous year.

If you are going to "invest" in modern's I agree that it a better model than speculating on Marvel or DC books (as far as a hit to miss ratio), but its still 50/50.

Like the Merril Lynch add say at the end "past results are not an indicator of future performance" or whatever.

Using your "flip extras once they double in value approach" here's the outcome:

Can you list the 18 losers that came out in 2012 that were not mini-series please.

Also you claim I would net $216 by selling half of the winners. A "raw" PP #1 is selling for over $200 currently. Since you said I purchased 5 that would mean I would get at least $400 for the two I sold. Selling two SAGA and 2 Revival would bring in at least another $300. That's 700 right there without counting the other titles.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, which is possible, I think your numbers are off.

So right now you have a remaining "spend" of $189 and still have 1 copy each of the 9 winners to show for the spend. Those 9 winners would currently be worth $543 or a net profit of +354.

If I purchased 5 copies and sold 2 I would still have 3 copies left correct?

Like the Merril Lynch add say at the end "past results are not an indicator of future performance" or whatever.

Using your "flip extras once they double in value approach" here's the outcome:

Can you list the 18 losers that came out in 2012 that were not mini-series please.

Also you claim I would net $216 by selling half of the winners. A "raw" PP #1 is selling for over $200 currently. Since you said I purchased 5 that would mean I would get at least $400 for the two I sold. That does not even take into account the money I would make on selling two Saga #1's, two TOT #1, and two Revivial #1's. Raw Saga #1's are selling for at least 100 each.

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, which is possible, I think your numbers are way off.

I was using your model of cashing in the extras once the book doubles in value as you described.

So When you bought 3 Saga #1s, you sold 2 of them when they doubled to $6. And held one (that continued to increase).

The books that are not trading at an "over retail rate" (from my ebay search, so maybe they were at some point earlier) were:

WHISPERS #1

ALPHA GIRL #1

NO PLACE LIKE HOME #1

HELL YEAH #1

SECRET #1

DANGER CLUB #1

MIND THE GAP #1

DANCER #1

EPIC KILL #1

PLANETOID #1

CREATOR OWNED HEROES#1

HOAX HUNTERS #1

IT GIRL & THE ATOMICS #1

GUARDING THE GLOBE #1

CLONE #1

GREAT PACIFIC #1

I LOVE TROUBLE #1

(sorry for the caps)

Im sure there are a few that at some point were going for more due to early speculation, but that just speaks to the volatility. And some newer ones could still increase (obviuosly) but I guess the same could be said for any book.

And Ive got PeterP valued at $200 based on a ballpark of last half dozen sales I saw on ebay.

I could certainly tweak the model to hold books longer past the "double" selling point.

So right now you have a remaining "spend" of $189 and still have 1 copy each of the 9 winners to show for the spend. Those 9 winners would currently be worth $543 or a net profit of +354.

This means you spent $189 to bring in $543 of value on the "hold" copies of each of 9 winners. Thats a good return. Im agreeing with you on that.

good points and thanks for the info.

I was off in the numbers because in your example you said 5 of each issue would be purchased.

(thumbs u No worries I love a good research project....

I wonder if 2012 was lightning in a bottle, or if something systemic changed...

hm

This means you spent $189 to bring in $543 of value on the "hold" copies of each of 9 winners. Thats a good return. Im agreeing with you on that.

That's assuming that those issues are held until they reach their highest value....