• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how long was yours?

47 posts in this topic

A recent post in CG had me remembering the lines I had to stand in to see Star Wars way back when, before Lucas dared dream of referring to it as "Episode IV". I would stand in line at the Century Theaters in San Jose, CA- 5-6 people wide out the parking lot, down the street and around the corner- often through 2 viewings before finally getting in. And these lines were there every weekend for about 2 years IIRC.

I'm sure this isn't unique to me, so where did you first see it, and what were the lines like for you?

I saw it in Cheyenne, WY. Me and my brother went. It was a couple of weeks after it opened. Line wrapped around the block. I can't remember how long we waited but the time went by fast because me and my brother were talking. We sat down in front and I remember my back never touching my seat the entire movie. Probably the closest I will ever come to having a religious experience. Funny, now I am not a huge fan of the saga. Still like it but not a nut. My son on the other hand ...

Saw it in Memphis, TN at the first showing on opening day. We got in line at around 8am that morning and were almost the last people they let in for that showing.

Good times. :cloud9:

A recent post in CG had me remembering the lines I had to stand in to see Star Wars way back when, before Lucas dared dream of referring to it as "Episode IV". I would stand in line at the Century Theaters in San Jose, CA- 5-6 people wide out the parking lot, down the street and around the corner- often through 2 viewings before finally getting in. And these lines were there every weekend for about 2 years IIRC.

I'm sure this isn't unique to me, so where did you first see it, and what were the lines like for you?

Norridge Theater. Norridge Illinois....Northwest Side of Chicago.

Sunday, June 19th, 1977. I got my father to take me to the first movie I EVER got him out of the house to see. He stood in a line that stretched 2 city blocks past the theater to see it with me. I've only got him out of the house to see 2 films in my life, so you bet your I remember every detail about that one.

The film ran over over 7 months in it's initial run at that theater.

I saw it first time in Kolkata, India (at that time it was called Calcutta). I was a bit late to the whole STAR WARS thing as I was essentially focusing on music. I went to Kolkata with a few students and our music teacher in 1979 to get a newly made custom sitar and take lessons from my teacher's teacher. . Saw this STAR WARS thing on the marquee and said "OK!". Loved it, as did the rest of the audience. But not a line there.

The Eastwood Theater had it in Indianapolis. It was a fairly small theater, I think maybe two screens. It seems like they were the first theater in town that had Dolby sound. The line would spiral around and around the building many times. It had been in the theater 4 or five weeks before I saw it, and I saw it twice that summer.

I have much more vivid memories of seeing Superman the movie and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Great story to share here... It is fragmented but one of my earliest memories. Some of the gaps have been filled in by relatives.

I do not know who is actually going to read this but...

My Aunt is eighteen years older than I am. I was a youngin.. so I saw it on one of the rereleases in either 1978 or 1979. My Aunt was supposed to babysit for me and I remember it being very hot. She decided that she wanted to see a movie and I remember her taking me to what I recall as the coldest theater I have ever been in. I can honestly say that the movie changed a lot of things for me. This was a movie that sparked my imagination. The special effects the story... they became ingrained upon me.

Now... once I got home I was brought back to reality. My mom was crying and panicked. Keep in mind that this was before cell phones and my mom never found the note my Aunt left. She was flipping out as I was her first born and my Aunt and I disappeared for a number of hours without any idea where I was.

Basically I remember one of the most amazing things a three or four year old can see and one of the most epic screaming arguments that have ever taken place in Brooklyn.

I saw it on vacation with my parents. We saw it at a drive-in theater somewhere near Philadelphia. There was no line. It was the only time I've been that far north and it was the only time I ever met two of my cousins. I liked the movie, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't sit around thinking about how glorious or inspiring it was.

DG

I saw it around 15 times in the theater (I think Sycamore Mall) in Iowa City. I don't remember lines. But I do remember that they had to do enough splicing by the time the run finally ended that the film must have been about 10 minutes shorter.

I worked as a projectionist for a while. We once received a used print that had been badly damaged and not returned. 20 minutes were missing from the middle which cut out an important scene. We ran it like that for a week before someone complained.

Also I might be showing how young I am but I didn't see it until I was about 14 and it was on DVD. I had seen pieces before that but never the whole movie. I did not enjoy it.