• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well my first try at comic buying was not good lol

34 posts in this topic

thats not fair everyone has to start somewere

Of course you can sell them but probably at a loss. My suggestion

1. Let the board know who you bought them from so others can avoid the seller (assuming they didn't call them out as restored).

2. Buy books already CGC graded

3. Don't use comics as an investment plan if you don't know what you are doing.

I fixed #3 for you.

That's true. However, you can begin by buying blind off ebay (and getting what you got)

Or you can spend some time on the boards, soak in some knowledge and then buy from several reputable dealers who can grade properly. Boardies can help you identify those types of dealers.

I'm not trying to pile onto your misfortune, just saying is all. I truly hope your next buy works out better

While that's true, the smallest amount of research would have told you that buying raw late silver/ early bronze keys on eBay from all but the most trustworthy sellers is akin to gambling. The odds are not in your favor. CGC has leveled the playing field so you don't have to be a comic grading expert to buy a nice book.

So, why submit them after you bought them raw? Was it a money thing - you thought you got a deal on the raw books - or were you checking up on the seller?

1. Let the board know who you bought them from so others can avoid the seller (assuming they didn't call them out as restored).

I fixed #3 for you.

I fixed #3 for you.

Welcome to the boards.

You've gone to ebay and learned your first lesson. Most books are overgraded and sellers may not disclose restoration. Since you thought the grades were reasonable and you didn't spot the restoration it's obvious that you aren't skilled in grading and restoration detection. You're a babe in the woods and the big bad wolf is hunting you.

I'd suggest that you invest in CGC graded books and use the heritage auction's archived sales information to make sure you don't overpay

http://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+790+231&Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=iron+man+1

I fixed #3 for you.

Congratulations on your first earned lumps. Stick it out and earn some more or bail and cut your losses.

They're much easier to handle when you earn them by reading about the experiences of others, so put your wallet back in your pocket and educate yourself with time and research.

...or you can charge mess wildly on your credit card and earn those hard lumps. hm

While we're all generally a bunch of nice guys, we do get a little entertainment out of reading tales of woe, such as yours.

Welcome to the boards, by the way. :foryou:

If you're going to buy CGC graded books, buy from reputable people!

and

"If you're going to buy CGC graded books, buy CGC graded books."

Don't submit random raw books to be slabbed until you've really got an eye for grading and restoration detection.

Ya the guy had great feedback so i figured i was safe i have thousands of comics this was my first ebay buying lol. i guess ill just stick to the board from now on

There are reputable dealers on ebay. These days though, they seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Ya the guy had great feedback so i figured i was safe i have thousands of comics this was my first ebay buying lol. i guess ill just stick to the board from now on

Most of the eBay scammers keep their good feedback by 1) hoping you don't find out their books are restored until its too late to file a case and 2) refunding if someone does fast track a book and catches the resto in time.

Most of the eBay scammers keep their good feedback by 1) hoping you don't find out their books are restored until its too late to file a case and 2) refunding if someone does fast track a book and catches the resto in time.

Or never CGC it, and the undeclared restoration is never discovered.

As long as all their sales fall into one of those three catagories they come out ahead both in $$ and positive feedback.

I think a lot of us, here, have paid the high tuition costs at the fabled University of Comic Book Collecting Experiences. :sorry:

It won't get you a diploma on the wall but, after a few years, it will earn you a collection of which you can be proud.

If you still want to buy 'in the wild' perhaps stick to moderns until,as others far more knowledgable than I have already said, you learn to spot this type of stuff, or at least specific wording in the listings that are ambiguous enough to let a dodgy seller off.

Buying moderns lets you examine a book in hand that is almost certainly 9.2+ if you buy distributor direct.

Perhaps purchase a 9.0 slabbed SA comic - doesn't matter which one,but it gives you a reference point as to what a 9.0 silver age book should roughly look like in that grade.

You are still going to take a hit every now and then (we all do) but keeping things simple whilst you are learning will help you minimise those 'lumps'..

Research,read and learn - welcome.

Yeah maybe - but you have no business submitting books to CGC if you can't tell a 9.0 from a 5.0. Most people start elsewhere.

I fixed #3 for you.