• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man #1

21 posts in this topic

Ok have a couple of questions....

I just recently purchased my first ever copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1. I picked up this copy for about $900 and was overall pretty happy with the condition, but am nervous to find out that I may have overpayed. Here are the problems...

1 - The front and back cover are detached

2 - Some pieces from the front and back are missing and staining along the spine of the comic.

Here are several scans of the comic. The comic is complete with no pages missing or cutouts. Please be as honest as possible and tell me if I overpayed and/or what type of grade this would get.

NOTE: I will not ever think about taping the cover back on as it can destroy the integrity of the comic. I know its like a get out of jail free card with CGC grading, but I'd rather stay in jail than apply tape to an original spidey #1.

2v7uubr.jpg

29urehu.jpg

2wdubv8.jpg

dtvz5.jpg

alnaxt.jpg

Congrats on owning your first ASM #1! As long as the book is complete as you mentioned, I think you did alright on the acquisition. I'm going to call this one a 0.5, 1.0 at best. But the more experienced graders on the board will chime in and give you

a more accurate assessment. Only doubt I have is whether a book with detached cover(s) can receive a grade over 0.5.

I'm sure you are looking at a 1.0

Whether you paid too much or not depends on you.

If you are happy as heck to own it then you did not pay too

much. I mean it is a Spidey #1.

DO NOT TAPE IT and keep it until maybe you can buy a

better one!!

Do you guys think this is worth getting signed by Stan Lee? All my ASM comics from #11 and under are signed except for #1...well because I just got it.

If you are happy as heck to own it then you did not pay too much. I mean it is a Spidey #1.

Yea I should mention that I was very excited to be able to acquire this comic. I have wanted a Spidey#1 since I was 11 years old (when I first started collecting ASM comics with my dad). I'm 25 now and feel pretty honored to own such a milestone in Spidey history.

Do you guys think this is worth getting signed by Stan Lee? All my ASM comics from #11 and under are signed except for #1...well because I just got it.

If you are happy as heck to own it then you did not pay too much. I mean it is a Spidey #1.

Yea I should mention that I was very excited to be able to acquire this comic. I have wanted a Spidey#1 since I was 11 years old (when I first started collecting ASM comics with my dad). I'm 25 now and feel pretty honored to own such a milestone in Spidey history.

IMO getting keys signed is like graffiti on a comic.

I'd also grade this at a .5/1.0 range

I'm not a huge fan of getting key books signed but since you've built a collection of early Spidey signed books, it would make sense for you to get a #1 signed. If you're happy with this copy get her signed.

.5 tape the cover back on for a 1.0+. You over paid a bit if it gets a 0.5 (GPA is 800) but got a good deal if it gets a 1.0 (GPA is 1600).

I am really hoping for a 1.0, but I am extremely reluctant to tape the comic.

What do you guys think about possibly paying to get it restored? Would it be worth the investment? I know restored comics are less desirable though.

I would leave it as is, including not putting any tape on it.

As far as getting it signed, I say go for it. One thing you could do is have Stan sign the interior rather than the cover. I'm not a big fan of Stan's giant marker scrawl on the cover of a key, but on the inside a sig could be nice. I had him sign my Avengers #1 on the inside front cover (well, it was supposed to be on the splash, but, you know, Stan does what he wants) and I am very happy I did.

I'm down with a 0.5/1.0 here. It doesn't sound to me like you overpaid. If the going rate if $800 for a .5 and twice that for a 1.0, then your price is fine considering we don't have any consensus which it is.

I leave the grading at the experts, but it seems you already get a good response.

My advice would be: if you plan to keep it, have it signed, by jove! :)

The only thing which prevents me from having a book signed is if I have an intention to upgrade it. I had my FF #8 signed by Jack Kirby, and it’s a book I would have loved to have in better grade, but no way: it‘s signed by Jack with a dedication, so it will stay! (thumbs u

About the tape you are entirely right: split and detached covers annoy me enormously, but again it all depends on whether you plan to keep this copy or not.

In Italy we do not have the phobia surrounding restoration that you have with comic books, so if it was mine I would repair it with some archival material or period paper, but having it restored is a "transfiguration" of the book, there are people which don’t mind, personally I don’t like restored books.

Great to have your Spidey #1 at 25. Must have been a tough decision! :)

Congrats on the ASM #1!

I'd venture a 1.0 grade.

If you are happy with the book, that's all that really matters and you didn't overpay. Even if you thought you paid more than guide, it's not unusual to pay a little more for keys, anyway.

Like everyone else has suggested, don't apply tape and having Stan sign inside the book is great advice.

A restore can run you up $500 and more for the work. Because this is a desirable key, a restore is an option.

You can always send it to CCS for a restore quote. My guess is that they will advise you to consider the quoted cost of restore work + initial cost of book versus a potential market value for an Apparent whatever (insert CCS estimated restore grade).

Oh, and if you do decide to restore, maybe wait for restore work to complete before Stan signs.

No resto (tsk)

This book is well loved, it's lived it's life being read and crammed into back pockets, so respect it enough not to give it a face lift or tit job.

I respectfully disagree.

Yes, this book has been well loved but it's in new hands, now. It seems this collector is trying to preserve the book before it falls apart further or restore it to bring the book more in line with the others in the ASM collection.

Either way, I don't see a problem with a resto for this book and it would be nice to see another low grade copy brought back to life.

No resto (tsk)

This book is well loved, it's lived it's life being read and crammed into back pockets, so respect it enough not to give it a face lift or tit job.

lol

What about some conservation? Just having it slabbed might help prevent some more damage.

I don't advocate the tape either. Especially as you need to use nonarchival tape to avoid the plod. I was just saying is all...

Thanks everyone for the advice. Currently with my financial situation I don't see being able to upgrade this comic for a minimum of about 5 years if possible. Between college loans, getting engaged (in 2 more years and saving up for that just dont tell the GF we've been together for 6 years already lol) and possibly starting my doctoral degree next year finances are a bust at the moment. I just really wanted to own a Spidey #1 before I am not able to afford one for a while. (Teacher salaries kinda stink in the beginning haha)

After reading all of your comments my intentions are to get this signed and slabbed as suggested. No tape and no resto. I love comics for what they are and to be honest as we all try to collect for value, I can't help but read it once before it gets slabbed (with cotton gloves of course) its just the comic book geek in me and the nostalgia of such a great comic. Thank you all for your input and once it gets slabbed I will be sure to report back with the grade and some pictures to share!

I can’t really get what prompts a person to "slab" a comic, unless it intends to sell it, and that is a warranty of professional grading.

If I had a Spidey #1, or any other important book for what matters, I would never keep it in a state where I can’t browse or read it.

In fact, I always regretted my only slab purchases, which are three. I have already replaced one, now the other is a golden age book but as I have the opportunity I will purchase a raw copy and sell that.

I keep value into account as I buy a book, with valuable books you have to consider it, but if this becomes a burden in accessing the book itself, no way. ;)