• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: THE INCREDIBLE HULK 181 (YES, ANOTHER ONE)

50 posts in this topic

Can you tell us the seller? Obviously the resto wasn't disclosed.

At the risk of looking like an even bigger noob, here's the link to the Ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140911374722?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Since winning that auction, I've sent two messages to the seller indicating the concerns expressed here. I basically said I'd take a looksie at the comic when it arrives, but if it appears that there's been any form of resto....it's coming back immediately for a refund. There is a 14 day period as stated in the auction, but considering I've expressed concern even prior to having recvd. the item I feel that I can expediently resolve any problems.

I got heated in the last minute of an auction that I hadn't been watching for very long. Had I done due dilligence, I would have posted it up here for everyone to peruse previously. My bad, and you can be sure that won't happen again.

All I can say is thanks again to everyone who's contributed.

OH MY! I was looking at the same book but back out after seeing the 1 negative feedback. I actually messaged the guy and asked about his experience on the seller! He wrote this:

"I would think all of his books are mass produced or all restored. Mine had a new cover, new staples. Edges trimmed and color touched, because the ink bled through.

I asked for a return, sell threw a fit, eBay intervened, and had me send package back. Seller refused to accept package, so he would not have to issue a refund.

I highly recommend never buy from this seller.

Thanks

Jim

- cornfield-comics"

Glad I stayed away but sorry you got suckered in.

Can you tell us the seller? Obviously the resto wasn't disclosed.

At the risk of looking like an even bigger noob, here's the link to the Ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140911374722?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Since winning that auction, I've sent two messages to the seller indicating the concerns expressed here. I basically said I'd take a looksie at the comic when it arrives, but if it appears that there's been any form of resto....it's coming back immediately for a refund. There is a 14 day period as stated in the auction, but considering I've expressed concern even prior to having recvd. the item I feel that I can expediently resolve any problems.

I got heated in the last minute of an auction that I hadn't been watching for very long. Had I done due dilligence, I would have posted it up here for everyone to peruse previously. My bad, and you can be sure that won't happen again.

All I can say is thanks again to everyone who's contributed.

Glad I was able to help you.

Well, here is what I see based on the scans. As etanick already pointed out, there is some discoloration on the left back cover, probably light staining. I believe this book was exposed to a fair amount of moisture. I think the book had rusted staples and rust stain migration to the surrounding paper. The majority of the restoration is on the back cover. There is white color touch at both staples. I believe the staples have either been cleaned or replaced. I would assume (and check) that the cover has been reinforced as well.

It also appears that there is white color touch at the spine corners, back cover, as those areas have the same look as the paper by the staples. After seeing that, it made me look real close at the top & bottom edges for trimming. It's extremely hard to see if a book has been trimmed by looking at scans, but I certainly have my suspicions.

On the plus side, the front cover looks nice! (thumbs u

PS. Picture #15 shows the restoration better than the other pics.

I was looking mainly at the front and the only thing I thought maybe was trimming because it looks so perfect. Also there is a closeup of the bottom that looked funny.

I see what you mean with the area around the staples. I didn't notice it on first look.

Glad there are people out there that are experts! I certainly am not!

Funny this seller is being discussed. I was looking at this book last night and

I think it was under $300 with less than an hour left. I kept looking at it thinking

how does this NOT LOOK TRIMMED???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-17-2nd-Green-Goblin-Appearance-Human-Torch-App-NM-9-6-/140911373723?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20cef8ed9b

I knew this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed when I saw the pictures. He's out of VA and has 4 or 5 accounts he switches between.

Someone else had a bad experience with him under a different name; was a NM 98 I believe.

There was a thread about it too.

I think it was under $300 with less than an hour left. I kept looking at it thinking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-17-2nd-Green-Goblin-Appearance-Human-Torch-App-NM-9-6-/140911373723?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20cef8ed9b

I've looked the pics over and I'm not really spotting a trim on the book. At first glance the pages and cover do look flush, but if you look again you might notice the cover overlaps the internal pages and I think I spotted a center bulge from the interior. It's a little hard to tell and my image may not be on a good display.

Still, it's bad the seller did not disclose the Hulk 181 resto.

HOLY SH*TCICLES BATMAN!!!

You're not gonna f-ing believe what just happened....

I got a full refund with no explanation or further communication from Ebay or Paypal.

Earlier there was tracking information thru Ebay stating that the shipping process has begun. Now if I look at the auction there's no longer tracking information available.

My Paypal cofirmed a payment of $2500 to Comic Books Unlimited yesterday....and shortly after those two emails I sent about my concerns today a total refund was issued a few moments ago...no questions asked.

The note just stated: PayPal account limited for no reason.

Maybe the buyer got sketched out after I came back with such specific criticisms of potential restoration? It wasn't lacking in the "I'm worried about department" and certainly made my intentions clear about my expectations and actions as a result.

Timely: I think I owe you at least a gift card or something bro. You helped me dodge a bullet matrix style. Holy mackerel....I feel like I almost got hit by a truck and someone pushed me out of the way at the last second. I gotta be more careful when looking at raws....

I've looked the pics over and I'm not really spotting a trim on the book. At first glance the pages and cover do look flush, but if you look again you might notice the cover overlaps the internal pages and I think I spotted a center bulge from the interior. It's a little hard to tell and my image may not be on a good display.

Still, it's bad the seller did not disclose the Hulk 181 resto.

Oh, and by the way - that ASM book DOES have resto work on it! Look at the rear cover at staples, spine center and bottom right spine corner. Wonder if that was even the original cover.

So he just changed his name to cornfieldcomicbooks

and made his feedback PRIVATE! WTH??

I also appears he has taken his pics down from AUCTIVA. That or there is something wrong with my computer. I think this was a scum artist.

Err.. Scam.

I also appears he has taken his pics down from AUCTIVA. That or there is something wrong with my computer. I think this was a scum artist.

Err.. Scam.

Private feedback = someone with something to hide

HOLY SH*TCICLES BATMAN!!!

You're not gonna f-ing believe what just happened....

I got a full refund with no explanation or further communication from Ebay or Paypal.

Earlier there was tracking information thru Ebay stating that the shipping process has begun. Now if I look at the auction there's no longer tracking information available.

My Paypal cofirmed a payment of $2500 to Comic Books Unlimited yesterday....and shortly after those two emails I sent about my concerns today a total refund was issued a few moments ago...no questions asked.

The note just stated: PayPal account limited for no reason.

Maybe the buyer got sketched out after I came back with such specific criticisms of potential restoration? It wasn't lacking in the "I'm worried about department" and certainly made my intentions clear about my expectations and actions as a result.

Timely: I think I owe you at least a gift card or something bro. You helped me dodge a bullet matrix style. Holy mackerel....I feel like I almost got hit by a truck and someone pushed me out of the way at the last second. I gotta be more careful when looking at raws....

I'm glad you got your dough back. The boards help yet another boardie out. (worship)

I'm glad you got your dough back. The boards help yet another boardie out. (worship)

I can't overstate how this has been as close to a religious experience as one can achieve on a forum....LMAO! $2500 land mine eliminated by a coupla key strokes. I had no idea some of these folks had such Yoda like prowess and wisdom. I think if you were a sketchball with something heinous to hide in your auction....and someone exposed every single occult and hideous flaw in your plan without omitting one detail.....it might be best to cut your losses, lick your wounds and move on. How can you argue with Timely's surgical breakdown of potential work? My new impressions: If you're not looking for it (ie-restoration)...it can appear like any number of flaws that evolve over the course of time, exposure and aging. This obviously was something different.....and thanks to the discussion in retrospect looks like clumsy attempts to alter the comic to make it appear in higher grade. Having the comic in hand would undoubtedly reveal more detail.

Well, you learn something new every day. I've redacted my buying strategy and I've gotta take a much more critical look at any offerings before pulling the trigger. The assistance from this peanut gallery however has proven invaluable...

Err.. Scam.

No no cornfield-comics is the buyer that left the negative feedback trying to warn people.

Err.. Scam.

Private feedback = someone with something to hide

I'll never understand why ebay allows private feedback. Such a stupid policy :facepalm:

You might want to read this thread.

You're dealing with a crook, there. It's the same guy from the linked thread.

Buyer beware.

Yep, that's the doushebag I was thinking of.

Don't worry, he'll be back with another ID he created awhile ago and pumped up with feedback from bs accounts.