• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The following books are changing their monthly/non-monthly status

19 posts in this topic

Hiya, I got this list today it maybe of some interest blush.gif

The following books are changing their monthly/non-monthly status, and/or are changing formats/title/publisher.

ALL CROSSGEN BOOKS—All Crossgen books are being changed to non-monthly status as of August 27th, since the company has suspended its publishing schedule due to Chapter 11 bankruptcy re-organization. Please be sure to check that your subscription account will still meet the 15 monthly title minimum once this change takes effect.

BATMAN ADVENTURES—This series is being canceled and replaced with BATMAN STRIKES, based on the new animated Batman series. All subscriptions will be automatically transferred over.

JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES—This series is being canceled and replaced with JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, based on the new animated JLA series. All subscriptions will be automatically transferred over.

CSI: DEMON HOUSE—This series is continuing with a new subtitle, DOMINOS. All subscriptions will be automatically transferred over.

AUTHORITY—This series is being re-launched as “Authority Revolution”. All subscriptions will be automatically transferred over.

NO LONGER AVAILABLE

The following titles have either been discontinued and/or cancelled by the publisher or have ended their run, and will no longer be valid subscription titles as of August 27, 2004. Please check your account to ensure that once these changes take effect, you still meet the minimum 15 monthly book requirement.

MONTHLY – removal may affect the status of your subscription

Aleister Arcane

Captain Marvel

Dracula’s Revenge

G. Romero’s Dawn Of The Dead

Go Boy 7

Hellhounds

Shield Spotlight

Silent Hill: Dying Inside

Thanos

Wildcats Version 3.0

X-Treme X-Men

NON-MONTHLY – removal will not have any affect on thestatus of your subscription

Batman: Harley & Ivy

BPRD A Plague Of Frogs

Cisco Kid

Common Grounds

David & Goliath

Desperate Times

Dictators: Hitler

Dreamland Chronicles

El Zombo

Hellboy: Weird Tales

Hellspawn

JLA: Another Nail

Lupin III

Midnight, Mass: Here There Be…

Seaguy

Superman: Birthright

Ultraman Tiga

Underworld: Red In Tooth…

Wolverine Punisher

Interesting. For all those DC'ers that bash Marvel for renaming titles (not that I agree with it) looks like DC is following suit. blush.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif They're tying specific comics into specific television shows. Would you have a comic that was tie-in to a television show on the shelves with a different title?

There isn't anything new or surprising about the DC announcements (and these were announced months ago):

Batman Strikes is based on the new cartoon series. It looks different, and has a different continuity from the previous Batman Animated cartoons. It makes complete sense to launch with a new #1 because this is a completely different series.

I could see JL Animated just becoming JL Unlimited without cancelling it, but there is a logical break between season 1 (JLA) and season 2 (JLU). JLA was about the core 7 members. JLU is about the Animated DC Universe and could feature any character they want to spotlight. So yeah, I could see this as okay.

And you may not be aware of this, but DC has cancelled and restarted their Animation-based comics with regularity, and it is usually based on a title change or a design change on the cartoons being aired. Batman Adventures was cancelled to be relaunched as The Batman and Robin Adventures (when the cartoon was renamed by Fox), then that was cancelled and relaunched as Batman: Gotham Adventures (when WB started to air new episodes), which was then cancelled and relaunched as Batman Adventures (when the Cartoon Network started to show Batman reruns).

--------------------

The Authority move is very much like something Marvel would do. But technically Authority is a WildStorm book and they do cancel and restart books all of the time, including the original Authority and WildC.A.T.s.

WildStorm wanted to do something to push the new creative team, particularly artist Dustin Nguyen (fresh off of Batman). I don't care for this cancel and relaunch tool just to sell books myself... I remember the days when people would start reading a book when the new creative team came on board, even if it wasn't a new #1... but I think that there a lot of people who don't care becaue they "wait for the trade" on these books anyway. If a new #1 helps then so be it.

When Marvel cancels and relaunches a book that has hundreds of issues behind it, like Avengers then it's more annoying than logical. Why ditch decades of history just to grab the cash gained from a new #1? As an old school reader it's annoying.

You don't see DC cancelling it's core titles like Marvel does: Action, Batman, Detective, and Adventures of Superman, are the core of DC Comics. You will see Action Comics hit issue #1000. You likely won't see Amazing Spider-Man or Fantastic Four do it because Marvel will likely cancel and relaunch it again if they feel sales merit it.... as they are (once again) with The Avengers.

The Authority move is very much like something Marvel would do. But technically Authority is a WildStorm book and they do cancel and restart books all of the time, including the original Authority and WildC.A.T.s.

WildStorm wanted to do something to push the new creative team, particularly artust Dustin Nguyen (fresh off of Batman). I don't care for this cancel and relaunch tool just to sell books myself... I remember the days when people would start reading a book when the new creative team came on board, even if it wasn't a new #1... but I think that there a lot of people who don't care becaue they "wait for the trade" on these books anyway. If a new #1 helps then so be it.

I believe they're also officially doing the same thing Sleeper does- twelve issue arcs, then a short hiatus and a new twelve issue arc (with a new subtitle) to follow. So The Authority won't really be an "ongoing" series anymore, just an endless series of minis. Basically what the 30 Days franchise is doing as well.

Fine by me as long as they pour this level of talent into it.

Yes. They aired the first episode last weekend. Next weekend's episode is the adaptation of Moore and Gibbon's "For the Man Who Has Everything" from Superman Annual 11.

Wish we got the Cartoon Network up here in the Great White North.

Titles that I read that will be affected:

Crossgen: El Cazador

MONTHLY

Silent Hill: Dying Inside

Thanos

X-Treme X-Men (I thought this was already cancelled when Astonishing came out and that whole X-men reloaded month took off)

NON-MONTHLY

Superman: Birthright

Wolverine Punisher

I thought these were limited maxi- or mini- series all along anyway confused-smiley-013.gif

Darth,

The e-mail was meant to notify customers that the titles in question were undergoing a status change.

Most of the titles he mentioned were mini-series that had ended (Like JLA Another Nail and Superman: Birthright) or regular series that had been cancelled. If you were following the news regularly and reading your previews there wasn't anything really new in his e-mail, but it was meant to benefit those customers who don't pay such active attention to what's coming and going.

For example... Thanos. A lot of people aren't fully aware that Thanos has been cancelled as there wasn't really a major announcement made by Marvel, we knew about it here because the creators involved were passing along that information to the fans. I don't recall whether or not Marvel made mention of it in Marvel Previews or not.

Got it and appreciated the effort. I just thought it was old news and was confused by too much info tongue.gif

I don't recall if Marvel Previews said anything specific about Thanos, but the lack of an issue 13 being solicited may have done the same thing. All I remember about 12 was that it had "Part 4 of 6" on the cover foreheadslap.gif

I don't recall if Marvel previews said anything specific about thanos, but the lack of an issue 13 bring solicited may have done the same thing..all I remeber about 12 was that it had "part 4 of 6" on the cover foreheadslap.gif

I saw that too! Had to check and then double check against #11. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy... foreheadslap.gif

Interesting. For all those DC'ers that bash Marvel for renaming titles (not that I agree with it) looks like DC is following suit. blush.gif

Please. This is in no way similar to Marvel relaunching any number of long-running series for no reason other than to make a quick buck on a new number 1. The new Batman series is as organic as it gets.