• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing Pens

61 posts in this topic

Hi all, I know this has been discussed before but as things evolve I wonder if there is anything new people have found.

I worry about some pens being acid-free, and permanent. Who wants there sigs fading in 20 years?

Last time we used the paint pens those looked really nice and are great for remarks. Any other suggestions? Everyone uses sharpies so those must be safe?

Please share brands, prices, etc.

I like these Sharpies, they do not drip and dry fast. Within five seconds you can rub your finger over it and not smear it.

http://m.sharpie.com/enus/pages/metallic-fine-point-marker.aspx

Hmm I like those. Have your tried various colors? I searched the boards for old posts and I see some talk of red metallic pens but I never saw what came of it.

I am looking to get the spectrum of colors, with all the books I am getting done I want the sigs to look awesome.

I've got a silver marker I picked up at Michael's that I really like and have been using for a year or so. I think it was like $5 and I like it a bit better than the Sharpie silver pens I have seen. I will get the make/model tonight when I get home and try to add a photo.

It takes a second to dry, but it really pops.

EDIT: Can't seem to find the damned thing, but when I buy another will post the brand. Here is what the writing looks like.

ASM297CGCss.jpg

SpideyPoster.jpg

Hmm I like those. Have your tried various colors? I searched the boards for old posts and I see some talk of red metallic pens but I never saw what came of it.

Metallic red like this?

DHP_Aliens_1_A.jpg

I think the pen was actually Lloyd's. He might be able to help with identifying the brand.

This book helps show the contrast:

Totleben and Veitch are metallic Gold Sharpie (not Paint)

Bissette is metallic Bronze Sharpie (not paint)

Yeates is Gold Paint.

Thanks for that, very helpful.

Hey everyone Im getting a couple of my comics signed and just wanted to know your opinion one what kind of marker or other writing untensil i should get to make my comics really stand out.

Harbinger #1

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac #1

Amazing Spider-man #39

Negative Burn #16

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Reprint)

I was thinking gold on the amazing fantasy but just wanted some input. Thanks

This will sounds crazy, but the best way to see if a pen will work well is to test it. We all have junk laying around. Find a crappy book that has a similar color layout to the book that you want to get signed. Take your marker. Write something on it. Does it look good? If I'm worried about how a sig will look, that's what I do.

This will sounds crazy, but the best way to see if a pen will work well is to test it. We all have junk laying around. Find a crappy book that has a similar color layout to the book that you want to get signed. Take your marker. Write something on it. Does it look good? If I'm worried about how a sig will look, that's what I do.

I know how the ones I have used before work. But there are so many different options out there I was wondering what others could say form experience. There should be no place better to find this out.

It seems paint pens are the consensus favorite (they are what I have used before as well). Looking at the book Sean posted the paint pen is the most opaque. But the risks with the paint pens are also well known. Is there a thicker paint pen that works well that does not contain a paint well?

Also even if something look great, it could possibly fade, bleed through, lighten etc. Most of which would be hard to see right away.

I see a distinction between acid free, archival, pigment markers, etc... so there is so many different things that I feel might not get the proper attention.

I've got a silver marker I picked up at Michael's that I really like and have been using for a year or so. I think it was like $5 and I like it a bit better than the Sharpie silver pens I have seen. I will get the make/model tonight when I get home and try to add a photo.

EDIT: Can't seem to find the damned thing, but when I buy another will post the brand. Here is what the writing looks like.

ASM297CGCss.jpg

SpideyPoster.jpg

I like those! This thread was prompted by my looking through the Micheal's pen isle and being utterly confused what is 'safe' permanent etc.

I saw some great metallic markers but they did not say 'acid free'!

I got the pen in the scrapbook supply aisle, and that stuff tends to be acid free. I wish I could find it as my brother and I are going to the Dallas Sci-Fi show this weekend. I'll find it and post the info when I can. I will do a side by side with a silver sharpie I also have (assuming I can find that...).

ASM297CGCss.jpg

SpideyPoster.jpg

I like those! This thread was prompted by my looking through the Micheal's pen isle and being utterly confused what is 'safe' permanent etc.

I saw some great metallic markers but they did not say 'acid free'!

We just bought one at Michaels on our way to Sci-Fi Expo. It is a Sakuria Pen Touch silver 1 mm fine point. It doesn't say acid free, unfortunately, but I checked the Sharpies and they don't say acid free either...