• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top 5 "collectible" moderns?

32 posts in this topic

Daredevil #354 (Daredevil and Spider-Man confess to knowing each other's IDs)

They've known each other's ID's much longer than that. It was during the "Death of Jean DeWolff" arc in SPECTACULAR # 107 - 110.

Daredevil # 354 was just a weird moment for both of them because DD had just recently stopped pretending to be "Jack Battlin" and Spidey was Ben Reilly at the time.

Right, I remember the issue being a confrontation over IDs, but forgot the context.

Still an enjoyable issue (Kesel and Nord brought a lot of fun back into Daredevil, fun that had been lacking since Miller made him so serious - not that I've complaining - I love Miller's DD).

My bad. Sorry 'bout that.

Kev

For specific issues, I'd submit the League of XG recalled "Marvel" ad issue, as well as the Superman 204 RRP (which appears to be rarer than the Batman RRP that so many people got horny for and then it cooled off, as we all predicted). USM White still seems strong.

USM White... still strong??? It's INSANE!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=70963&item=2261023685&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=70963&item=2259899785&rd=1

foreheadslap.gif

You DON'T want to buy this book at these prices... Biggest mistake people make is buying relatively new keys when they are all of the rage.

Think of the great Silver Age books you could get for the same amount of money...

It's extremely hard to point to something that's not even out yet and say,"that will be valuable." I mean, MY comic will be valuable as I completely foresee a movie coming out of it that will gross billions. My comic isn't written, drawn, or even really thought of yet, though, so the print run is really low.

But since this is the Internet and anyone can be an expert, I'd have to go with the titles that already have had 200 issues published, the real icons like Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, etc. The key ingredient in raising prices, it seems to me, is increased hobby and mainstream interest in a book, plus the presence of strong key issues around which to build a collection. The general public didn't know Enid & Rebecca, or Hellboy, or Witchblade, so despite decent movies/TV shows being made, the public didn't swarm comic shops looking for them. But they do know the big guys. A new movie could completely revitalize Superman. With newer books, not only is it hard to spot a key issue right away, it's hard to predict if the series will be well-liked enough for anyone to care about a key. Jessica Jones' origin is (somewhat) revealed in Alias #22, but who cares? We finally saw Yorick's girlfriend, Beth, in Y The Last Man, but is that going to be really important? Like someone else pointed out, Y has gotten a lot of play in the mainstream media and it could develop into an important book, though the permanence of the increase is debatable. I'd love to be reading Powers #200 someday. I think a movie (did I hear The Rock as Christian Walker??) or TV show, if done right, could be huge. Powers Vol. 2 #2, the return of Calista? That's a MHDB. So many people keeping so many copies in top shape is the other undeterminable factor for long-term evaluation. How many is too many?

My list:

Spider-Man

Superman

Y The Last Man

Brit (this is a longshot, but I like it)

Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose (a much longer shot, but I think there's an huge, untapped large-breasted Wiccan market out there)

Well I guess that's just one of my personal favorites. It looks pretty grim for the next 20 years doesn't it?

Cool book. Great story. But, pretty much only graded copies in 9.8 sell for anything significant.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it looks pretty grim." The prospects for Thor #337 or something else?

Just a general statement when I look at all the drek that has been produced the last 15 years and how people struggle to name modern day keys and only come up with X-Men 266 (Gambit apperance). It makes wonder what kids today will be excited about collecting 10-15 years from now. Continuity is out the window and more importantly quality of art and story writing needs a shot in the arm. I hope I am wrong.

I cannot make a list of modern books that will be valuable.. but. let me just mention that I was in college in 1970, so I read all the seventies books as a "grown up" and to me, by then, they all sucked. Total crapola! awful art and stories.... And yet, these same (old tired run of the mill) comics are now very valuable!! So my point is who knows what will be sought after 10 and 20 years from now? 98% of all new comics suck, or appear to suck dont they?

let me just mention that I was in college in 1970, so I read all the seventies books as a "grown up" and to me, by then, they all sucked. Total crapola! awful art and stories.... And yet, these same (old tired run of the mill) comics are now very valuable!! So my point is who knows what will be sought after 10 and 20 years from now? 98% of all new comics suck, or appear to suck dont they?

The major difference being that far less people are actually READING comic books these days. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

you are correct blowout... I bought and read Werewolf By Night #32 & #33 earlier this year and the -script was so littered with awful 70's slang as to make it almost unreadable.

comic collectors seem to be drawn to 1st appearances and origins of characters that go on to be staples of their particular continuity... whether the stories were a good read or not...

let me just mention that I was in college in 1970, so I read all the seventies books as a "grown up" and to me, by then, they all sucked. Total crapola! awful art and stories.... And yet, these same (old tired run of the mill) comics are now very valuable!! So my point is who knows what will be sought after 10 and 20 years from now? 98% of all new comics suck, or appear to suck dont they?

The major difference being that far less people are actually READING comic books these days. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought that since the 90s correction all we had left buying comics were readers...and that was one reason why the sales plummetted. When the total available readership of comics was cut down to just the 100,000 or so regular hard core readers, sales plummetted to the bare minimums, bur at least every copy sold was taken home and read. Which was ironic cause as the bubble was about to burst even the publishers warned againt buying multiples and expecting to make money with them. So they got what they "wanted" - -- -resulting in tiny sales.

Here's a modern, non-variant from 1992... Harbinger #1.

Surely it qualifies as just a "regular comic"

without all the "variant this" and "Ultimate that" bells-and-whistles...

Since the publisher (Valiant) is totally dead (since 1996),

it's not even a "hot first issue" from an active title.

Let's see what happens with this 9.8 on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2263433785

I'm betting the final minutes (seconds) of this auction will be exciting...

(The bids are at $112.50 as I post this...)