• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uber from Avatar

1,083 posts in this topic

No because Uber doesn't have a movie in the works and also its a marvel title vs avatar title. With this many variants and discouraged collectors/completionist hype on this title is doomed. With no secondary market comes no speculation.

Morning all.

Jeff and Andy in agreement shocker!

There's a first. lol

I think that a lot of people have to realise that this forum is ALL about the secondary market.

CGC is about money.

There are 2 books for sale on here at this very moment for over $100,000.

So wether GA or modern, money plays a huge factor.

With Uber - my sorrow - and that is the right word - is that marketed properly,this book could have been a smash hit.

Now buyers walking into a LCS just see a wall of Uber covers - and move onto the next book.

Avatar must have the worlds biggest returns warehouse and they don't seem to sell out of anything - look at Crossed - they have had to resort to putting the comic on the web for free to drum up interest (ironically - it's the best Crossed written) - and even then release 5 covers per issue when its free on the net.

I mean who is going to buy 5 covers of a free book - I just don't get the Avatar mindset.

As I have said ad-infinitum - First print,second print etc etc.

Speculators and collectors get what they want - and people who have never heard of the book can see 'Uber #0 - 7th print" and immediately think - 'popular book' I will give it a go.

I feel sorry for KG - years to write and destroyed by greed in 2 issues.

Thats 3 books now, totally trashed upon release by dumb marketing/variants.

Someone quoted the 'Golden Goose' parable.

How very apt.

I guess it's back to being creative and finding those little hidden gems again.

Thanks everyone for keeping this discussion civil as well. (thumbs u

How is a book trashed by releasing multiple covers.

Although #0 was a hard read, #1 was solid and had a very nice ramp up. I don't see why you use such hyperbole and already claiming a death knell for this book just because of multiple covers.

According to your logic, Guardians of the Galaxy should have almost zero readership because of the number covers that were produced.

The examples are right in front of you. If you choose to ignore them that's up to you. (thumbs u

No because Uber doesn't have a movie in the works and also its a marvel title vs avatar title. With this many variants and discouraged collectors/completionist hype on this title is doomed. With no secondary market comes no speculation.
I agree with your assessment, I was responding to Zacrew. I'm interested to hear a take as to how variants help this book or are at least neutral.

I agree with your assessment, I was responding to Zacrew. I'm interested to hear a take as to how variants help this book or are at least neutral.

Did I say help or even neutral?

My complaint is using the term "trash". If a book has a sound story/concept and good art, multiple variants may hurt the book, but it won't trash it.

I guess we will see in the coming months.

People like historical based books, and as disturbing as they were, people also like Nazis. Give them super powers and it's a bonus.

GotG does have almost zero readership.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 $3.99 Marvel 88,184

And what was the count for #1? Double that? You have to remember that LCS order there books 2-3 months in advance to be able to get the variants. What will #3 and #4 be?

Obviously not that many and certainly not dedicated enough to by umpteen covers. lol

There are many that read Crossed as well. How is that doing on the secondary market?

I think that a lot of people have to realise that this forum is ALL about the secondary market.

CGC is about money.

Yes, with the new wave of people since the start of 2012 :gossip:

CGC is a value added third party grading system, its always been about the money. As for the moderns section of the boards, 2012/2013 is just a symptom.

The origin is when people started paying crazy prices for Walking Dead, and it "redefined" what a modern book could be "worth". That pre-dates 2012 by a lot. People chasing the next Walking Dead, only exist because of the actual Walking Dead.

WD going white hot can be held responsible for some of what we're seeing now but I don't credit it with revolutionizing modern speculation.

My complaint is using the term "trash". If a book has a sound story/concept and good art, multiple variants may hurt the book, but it won't trash it.

People like historical based books, and as disturbing as they were, people also like Nazis. Give them super powers and it's a bonus.

Yeah, can all the band wagon jumping speculators who have suddenly soured on this book within the last 12 hours just leave this thread already? True fans want to enjoy the afterglow of a great #1 and get pumped for a promising run! (thumbs u

Yeah, can all the band wagon jumping speculators who have suddenly soured on this book within the last 12 hours just leave this thread already? True fans want to enjoy the afterglow of a great #1 and get pumped for a promising run! (thumbs u

I think people have universally respected the book in this thread. People "talk up" the secondary value of books all over the place on these forums. Having people expressing different opinions is always good for discussion, and message boards.

Lots of inexperienced people stumble on to these board from google. I'll take saving just one person from getting hosed and quitting the hobby, over 100 hoarders/flippers who are worried about not being able to offload their gambles.

No need to try and squelch discussion. It's a good book, cool covers, nice art. I recommend everyone try it out and give it a read. I also recommend no one pay more than cover for it...

I've always said it's a great read - nothings changed that.

But Avatar are extracting the urine.......they came on here and said 'NO MORE VARIANTS' and then released another 10!

Having a 'pre-release' exclusive of HMH Collossus for $30 when it will be in #3 is just a joke!

It will put loads of people off - thats the tragedy.

A story deserving to be enjoyed by a large audience will only be read by a small one.

I've been bullish about this book from day 1 mate.

I flip to get my SA keys - so as a secondary book - its dead, and I will not financially add to its demise by buying another issue.

I will still read it though.

GotG does have almost zero readership.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 $3.99 Marvel 88,184

And what was the count for #1? Double that? You have to remember that LCS order there books 2-3 months in advance to be able to get the variants. What will #3 and #4 be?

I know I'm only a humble retailer but GotG is probably third biggest Marvel seller behind Superior and All New in our shop. People are loving this book as well as Nova. Even now with number two out for a while we probably sell 20 copies of 1 every day, ( it was selling in the hundreds just after release), Customer feedback on this is very positive.

GotG and Nova both sell well across the age ranges as well, which is not something that can be said for all current books.

When teasers/trailers for the movie start to surface, issue 1 will be in big demand. It may never be a big value book per copy which isn't good for speculators, we retailers who rely more on volume sales on the other hand have (and will continue to) done very well out of GotG.

In fact with our store variant of 1 included I am pretty confident in saying that GotG will buy me a new car. But hey, what do I know?