• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uber from Avatar

1,083 posts in this topic

Morning all.

Jeff and Andy in agreement shocker!

There's a first. lol

I think that a lot of people have to realise that this forum is ALL about the secondary market.

CGC is about money.

There are 2 books for sale on here at this very moment for over $100,000.

So wether GA or modern, money plays a huge factor.

With Uber - my sorrow - and that is the right word - is that marketed properly,this book could have been a smash hit.

Now buyers walking into a LCS just see a wall of Uber covers - and move onto the next book.

Avatar must have the worlds biggest returns warehouse and they don't seem to sell out of anything - look at Crossed - they have had to resort to putting the comic on the web for free to drum up interest (ironically - it's the best Crossed written) - and even then release 5 covers per issue when its free on the net.

I mean who is going to buy 5 covers of a free book - I just don't get the Avatar mindset.

As I have said ad-infinitum - First print,second print etc etc.

Speculators and collectors get what they want - and people who have never heard of the book can see 'Uber #0 - 7th print" and immediately think - 'popular book' I will give it a go.

I feel sorry for KG - years to write and destroyed by greed in 2 issues.

Thats 3 books now, totally trashed upon release by dumb marketing/variants.

Someone quoted the 'Golden Goose' parable.

How very apt.

I guess it's back to being creative and finding those little hidden gems again.

Thanks everyone for keeping this discussion civil as well. (thumbs u

How is a book trashed by releasing multiple covers.

Although #0 was a hard read, #1 was solid and had a very nice ramp up. I don't see why you use such hyperbole and already claiming a death knell for this book just because of multiple covers.

According to your logic, Guardians of the Galaxy should have almost zero readership because of the number covers that were produced.

It's not about readership. It's about cash money... Full Stop. That's all most people care about on here and that's the REAL problem. Not variants and print runs.

GotG does have almost zero readership.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 $3.99 Marvel 88,184

And what was the count for #1? Double that? You have to remember that LCS order there books 2-3 months in advance to be able to get the variants. What will #3 and #4 be?

I know I'm only a humble retailer but GotG is probably third biggest Marvel seller behind Superior and All New in our shop. People are loving this book as well as Nova. Even now with number two out for a while we probably sell 20 copies of 1 every day, ( it was selling in the hundreds just after release), Customer feedback on this is very positive.

GotG and Nova both sell well across the age ranges as well, which is not something that can be said for all current books.

When teasers/trailers for the movie start to surface, issue 1 will be in big demand. It may never be a big value book per copy which isn't good for speculators, we retailers who rely more on volume sales on the other hand have (and will continue to) done very well out of GotG.

In fact with our store variant of 1 included I am pretty confident in saying that GotG will buy me a new car. But hey, what do I know?

You know quite a bit about the primary market I would imagine. We are talking about the secondary market. Great to hear you're doing well!

And what was the count for #1? Double that? You have to remember that LCS order there books 2-3 months in advance to be able to get the variants. What will #3 and #4 be?

I know I'm only a humble retailer but GotG is probably third biggest Marvel seller behind Superior and All New in our shop. People are loving this book as well as Nova. Even now with number two out for a while we probably sell 20 copies of 1 every day, ( it was selling in the hundreds just after release), Customer feedback on this is very positive.

GotG and Nova both sell well across the age ranges as well, which is not something that can be said for all current books.

When teasers/trailers for the movie start to surface, issue 1 will be in big demand. It may never be a big value book per copy which isn't good for speculators, we retailers who rely more on volume sales on the other hand have (and will continue to) done very well out of GotG.

In fact with our store variant of 1 included I am pretty confident in saying that GotG will buy me a new car. But hey, what do I know?

You know quite a bit about the primary market I would imagine. We are talking about the secondary market. Great to hear you're doing well!

And you know a lot more than the guys that have been around here for less than 12 months and think they're experts on all things comic books

It may never be a big value book per copy which isn't good for speculators, we retailers who rely more on volume sales on the other hand have (and will continue to) done very well out of GotG.

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 211,310

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 88,180

% change in one month -58%

Those numbers are based off of diamond distributors, if things like your store variant arent shipped by them, the drop is even higher.

And you know a lot more than the guys that have been around here for less than 12 months and think they're experts on all things comic books

Yup, cause a number on a user profile is the only way to truly know how long a person has been around "here", and then, when it is accurate, there is no other place else a person could be involved with comics...

Yup, cause a number on a user profile is the only way to truly know how long a person has been around "here", and then, when it is accurate, there is no other place else a person could be involved with comics...

How dare you speak this blasphemy! :devil:

It may never be a big value book per copy which isn't good for speculators, we retailers who rely more on volume sales on the other hand have (and will continue to) done very well out of GotG.

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 211,310

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 88,180

% change in one month -58%

Those numbers are based off of diamond distributors, if things like your store variant arent shipped by them, the drop is even higher.

Sure, but there are lots of variables. As I say, when the movie starts to come on the horizon, I will be more than happy to be sitting on a few of these. Also, our sales of issue two certainly buck that trend. We often find that people will come in and pick up the first few issues of a series a few months in.

I can't argue with the Diamond data. But I can argue with people saying no one is reading the book, because I Know that not to be the case.

Well, in this instance I was merely responding to comments that GotG is not being bought and read but I know what you mean. :foryou:

Ok, as I have contributed to getting this thread off track, I guess I should try to get it back.

This is the only Avatar book I am reading as I find the rest of their output questionable at best. I like the premise and subject to some editorial tightening here and there Gillen is off to a good start.

I should declare a personal prejudice against anything even tangentially connected with Rich Johnson who I consider to be a first class d-bag.

All that aside, I really hope this series lives up to it's potential and I look forward to reading the next issue.

Maybe I could hit 12k posts today. hm

Take the day off!

And how would I catch you in under 5 years???

Comic's General but post counts from there, are like Barry Bond home run records.

45,550*

big old asterick lol