• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon -- May 17-19, 2013 -- Romita Jr, Shatner, Steranko, Fillion

156 posts in this topic

I'll be going but I'm not too impressed with the guest list either. I'm hoping Brooks or Noto have some Uncanny X-force pages for sale. This will be my 3rd year going and last year I went on Saturday only and it was a disaster. I bought some comics but to be a comic convention there didn't seem to be that many comic vendors. Hopefully one of these years they'll move it to Dallas Convention Center and try to compete or at least be in the same league as the big cons, Dallas sure is big enough to handle it.

We've been saying all these things for years. Hell, you could have practically plaigarized half this post from my con reports the past couple of years.

I'm pumped for Steranko and Wein for SS, and the rumors about the potential mystery guest they've been chatting up on Facebook would be huge if it happens.

I'll be going but I'm not too impressed with the guest list either. I'm hoping Brooks or Noto have some Uncanny X-force pages for sale. This will be my 3rd year going and last year I went on Saturday only and it was a disaster. I bought some comics but to be a comic convention there didn't seem to be that many comic vendors. Hopefully one of these years they'll move it to Dallas Convention Center and try to compete or at least be in the same league as the big cons, Dallas sure is big enough to handle it.

It looks like a great list to me. (shrug)

It is ok, and hopefully still growing.

It is a matter of perspective. My way of seeing this is a comparison to Emerald City, which provides a nice example because it is going on this weekend. That con is huge with an excellent guest list, taking place in something like the 15th largest metropolitan area in the US. Dallas is the 8th largest metro area, roughly double the size of Seattle, and the 9th largest metro area (Houston) is a half days drive away to draw additional fans (meaning a potential fan base roughly 4 times the size of Seattle). Texas is the second most populous state in the country, roughly 3 times the population of Washington and Oregon combined, and around 6-7 million more people than New York state. Most of the other top populated states (California, New York, Illinois) also have what anyone would consider to be major destination comic conventions. DFW is a major air hub with direct flights from everyplace. Dallas is also centrally located, so it is a shorter drive for dealers than having to schlep stock to either coast. So if Seattle or Charlotte can put on such great shows with their level of resources, what is holding Dallas back from becoming a major player of that level too? It should be a destination con circled on everyone's calendar, but isn't. They also manage to schedule the same weekend as Big Wow seemingly every year, and look at the guest list for Big Wow compared to Dallas, and see which con you think would be stronger based on that.

Basically, Dallas manages to be a B- level convention for guests (and compare the media guests to the comic creators so far and see which list is longer), and about a C level con for buying vintage comics (not a slam at the fine dealers to do attend, but there are never as many dealers here as there should be), despite all the things it should have going for it. That is where our frustration lies.

It is a matter of perspective. My way of seeing this is a comparison to Emerald City, which provides a nice example because it is going on this weekend. That con is huge with an excellent guest list, taking place in something like the 15th largest metropolitan area in the US. Dallas is the 8th largest metro area, roughly double the size of Seattle, and the 9th largest metro area (Houston) is a half days drive away to draw additional fans (meaning a potential fan base roughly 4 times the size of Seattle). Texas is the second most populous state in the country, roughly 3 times the population of Washington and Oregon combined, and around 6-7 million more people than New York state. Most of the other top populated states (California, New York, Illinois) also have what anyone would consider to be major destination comic conventions. DFW is a major air hub with direct flights from everyplace. Dallas is also centrally located, so it is a shorter drive for dealers than having to schlep stock to either coast. So if Seattle or Charlotte can put on such great shows with their level of resources, what is holding Dallas back from becoming a major player of that level too? It should be a destination con circled on everyone's calendar, but isn't. They also manage to schedule the same weekend as Big Wow seemingly every year, and look at the guest list for Big Wow compared to Dallas, and see which con you think would be stronger based on that.

Basically, Dallas manages to be a B- level convention for guests (and compare the media guests to the comic creators so far and see which list is longer), and about a C level con for buying vintage comics (not a slam at the fine dealers to do attend, but there are never as many dealers here as there should be), despite all the things it should have going for it. That is where our frustration lies.

Being close to Houston is irrelevant if Houston keeps having Comicpalooza the week after the Dallas con. Waiting a week for a similar con is a lot easier than driving to Dallas.

Being close to Houston is irrelevant if Houston keeps having Comicpalooza the week after the Dallas con. Waiting a week for a similar con is a lot easier than driving to Dallas.

Understandable, especially since there are likely as many comic dealers at that show as there will be at Dallas. That is another scheduling problem that has plagued the Dallas show.

I would love for the DCC to grow to just half the size of ECCC.

I don't think they have ever had a publisher present have they?

I wonder why that is? There has to be a reason right? It's almost like they avoid them like the plague. I'd love for a publisher to set up shop at the DCC.

I would love for them to do more to attract more comic dealers. The floor is often like 30% comic dealers and 70% other, which makes the promotors money I'm sure but does little for the comic fans attracted to a show touted as a Comicon. I usually go to this show for the autographs, and if I can get a book or two that is a bonus. That should not have to be a mentality I take to an alleged comic show.

In looking at the DCC forums, Mark Walters mentioned Terry Moore being a guest, but I don't see it anywhere else on their site.

It was also on the Facebook page... DCC Facebook page

They only update the guest webpage about once a week, maybe, so check the Facebook feed for the up to date info on guests.

:bump: for the thread even though there has been absolutely NOTHING of interest to come out of their newsfeed in nearly 2 weeks. Way to "focus on their growing list of comic creators" as they promised.

So I'm curious about this one, because the Walking Dead 109 blank sketch cover is coming out for this show as I was informed yesterday. Is it possible that Charlie Adlard could be showing up?

So I'm curious about this one, because the Walking Dead 109 blank sketch cover is coming out for this show as I was informed yesterday. Is it possible that Charlie Adlard could be showing up?

Is that announced?

Is that announced?

Yeah, please provide a link as it hasn't shown up on their Facebook page (which would be odd as this would be big).

Is that announced?

Yeah, please provide a link as it hasn't shown up on their Facebook page (which would be odd as this would be big).

I looked at the comiclist extended forecast list, and there is indeed a WD blank for 109, but it's not an exclusive. It's apparently a normal nationwide release.

Which is cool. WD blanks are cool. But it doesn't seem like an exclusive.

haha, exclusive.

New "comic guests" posted, but nobody you've ever heard of in this latest round. Glad they got Wein and Steranko, but the rest of this "comic guest" list is a yawnfest, at least for me. Hopefully someone else will be more stoked.