• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Opportunity (Sketch/Sig Events) Standards?

232 posts in this topic

Hi all.

We've been having a spirited discussion over in the Marketplace probation list thread about Sig Series facilitation standards and expectations.

I was wondering (because I dont see anything stickied, nor can find anything via a search for it) if there is a community standard for acceptable SS Op practices?

The marketplace has a set of a dozen or so agreed upon rules for buyers and sellers to try and ensure that the marketplace is as fair and upfront an experience as possible, and that when there are problems there are guidelines to fall back on and 's a forum to discuss the issues and resolve it (hopefully to everyone's reasonable satisfaction).

Is there anything her in The Signature Room forum that states the SS Op guidelines. I know that Facilitators have their own flavors, and some parts of the process are fluid depending on the artist in the event, but general guidelines are all I'm looking for...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction if you can. :grin:

Interesting topic.

Facilitators do sign an agreement with CGC.

If a facilitator fails to meet your expectations (that should be stated at the beginning of the Op.) Then you have the right to formally report or complain about them to CGC.

Then it is up to CGC to maintain their own SS Facilitator Probation List.........based on complaints they may or may not recieve from customers.

So SS customer, what details do you think Facilitators should be stating in their events?

I would imagine....

1. Payment options. Method (paypal, check, MO), timing (when amount is due), and amount (rate).

2. Eligibility (are Probation Listers eligible to participate?), minimum post count, any restrictions?

3. Book timings-Inbound: when do inbound books need to arrive?

4. Book timing-Outbound: what is the facilitators default ship-out practice? (Weekly, Monthly, only upon 100% completion of event).

5. Communication Updates: We all know these things take time, and are at the whim of the artist who could take months or years to finish the orders. What will your update method be (no updates, monthly to the event thread, via PM as people ask for status).

what else?

I don't want to turn this into a negative thread. We can always learn from other people's mistakes, as well as our own:

I'm going to make things clear:

1. In no way shape or form, have I ever used intimidating or fear remarks against anyone at any time.

2. In regards to the satement made by the complainant that research was made about me, and I'm "An Enforcer" is ridiculous. Anyone that's met me knows that I'm passive. I do get irritated from time to time though.

3. The ability, or inability to ship out this book was none other than my fault. I've had issues in the past with this (branget's deal) and have managed to somewhat correct the problem. I can assure that from now on, any book subbed to CGC, will ship from CGC - UNLESS, at the request of the owner, the book be held pending future or current events.

4. Facilitators are held to a higher standard, which I hope to continue to deliver. Again, there are plenty of services out there to choose from. If you're not happy with the services given, there are other facilitators or dealers that would be more than happy to have you business.

5. PL List: If the terms are that I would be placed on the PL list untill the OP receives his book, then I'm willing to accept that. The OP agreed to make notification as soon as the book is received, granted I did not damage the slab intentionally.

If anyone can make any other suggestions on how to further remedy this, please let me know. I'm willing to listen.

with the fact that the big boys have their own sites i think it would be hard to really push rules through the boards on this.

my experience here has been that a facilitator could take your book and smash the slab on the pavement. you can have proof that they did it. due to the money that they bring to them cgc will not care.

if you stand up and try and post anything about it here even with proof your posts will be deleted and you may be put on a vacation from the site.

Interesting topic.

Facilitators do sign an agreement with CGC.

If a facilitator fails to meet your expectations (that should be stated at the beginning of the Op.) Then you have the right to formally report or complain about them to CGC.

Then it is up to CGC to maintain their own SS Facilitator Probation List.........based on complaints they may or may not recieve from customers.

Here's the problem I have. I agree that CGC is one avenue where complaints should be lodged. The problem with that is that does nothing to warn anyone about potential problems. I think the probation list in the sales forum is a great tool for bad actors, sellers/buyers for SS or otherwise.

To a certain extent, drops in grade and long times with an artist are outside the control of a facilitator. However, the recent hubbub was that a facilitator sat on someone's book for 2 months or more after receiving it from CGC.

Please read the above post.
It's not all about you. Your example is driving this conversation, but we're not debating the specifics of your circumstance.

The SS program has always suffered from a lack of transparency. The question is whether problems should be discussed publicly or not.

with the fact that the big boys have their own sites i think it would be hard to really push rules through the boards on this.

That's probably true, except for the ones that solicit business on this board. Stumping for customers for any portion of a signing or sketch opportunity would seem to be voluntary acquiescence to the jurisdiction of the boards and agreement to come under the purview of the CGC forum's disciplinary track as well as its various rules, regulations and customs.

Dealers with their own sites will only be affected as it pertains to the amount of business they choose to do here.

I don't want to turn this into a negative thread. We can always learn from other people's mistakes, as well as our own:

1. In no way shape or form, have I ever used intimidating or fear remarks against anyone at any time.

2. In regards to the satement made by the complainant that research was made about me, and I'm "An Enforcer" is ridiculous. Anyone that's met me knows that I'm passive. I do get irritated from time to time though.

3. The ability, or inability to ship out this book was none other than my fault. I've had issues in the past with this (branget's deal) and have managed to somewhat correct the problem. I can assure that from now on, any book subbed to CGC, will ship from CGC - UNLESS, at the request of the owner, the book be held pending future or current events.

4. Facilitators are held to a higher standard, which I hope to continue to deliver. Again, there are plenty of services out there to choose from. If you're not happy with the services given, there are other facilitators or dealers that would be more than happy to have you business.

5. PL List: If the terms are that I would be placed on the PL list untill the OP receives his book, then I'm willing to accept that. The OP agreed to make notification as soon as the book is received, granted I did not damage the slab intentionally.

If anyone can make any other suggestions on how to further remedy this, please let me know. I'm willing to listen.

GoT, understand this thread in no way is about you. My point and this thread is about general standards, your particular situation (to which you are referencing,and I am not) only provided some illumination to the greater topic of SS standards, and that having some agreed to guidelines may benefit the community (similar to the marketplace guidelines).

Again, the query on my part was not intended to point to you, is not about you specifically, and if anyone would like to continue discussing GoTs specific comments/concerns/thoughts I think your own thread (which can be found HERE) would be the place to continue that specific discussion.

Back to the topic at hand... what other general expectations should be set in a SS op?

That's probably true, except for the ones that solicit business on this board. Stumping for customers for any portion of a signing or sketch opportunity would seem to be voluntary acquiescence to the jurisdiction of the boards and agreement to come under the purview of the CGC forum's disciplinary track as well as its various rules, regulations and customs.

Dealers with their own sites will only be affected as it pertains to the amount of business they choose to do here.

Absolutely true. CGC has their guidelines/expecations for facilitators (and I dont know what those are) and they can manage that part. Its no different than if a seller has his own website to sell books. On his site he makes the rules, but here in the community, there are community guidelines (like in the marketplace).

GoT, understand this thread in no way is about you. My point and this thread is about general standards, your particular situation (to which you are referencing,and I am not) only provided some illumination to the greater topic of SS standards, and that having some agreed to guidelines may benefit the community (similar to the marketplace guidelines).

Again, the query on my part was not intended to point to you, is not about you specifically, and if anyone would like to continue discussing GoTs specific comments/concerns/thoughts I think your own thread (which can be found HERE) would be the place to continue that specific discussion.

Back to the topic at hand... what other general expectations should be set in a SS op?

As a customer/or potential customer, what expections do you think should be met or should be set?

i may be wrong but i think trying to put forth a set of rules for facilitators that may take money from the cgc coffers would not be allowed.

if it was allowed then the rules would be like most other rules here. they would not apply to certain people.

in the market place it is different because a ban that prevents someone from selling doesnt matter to cgc one way or the other.

As a customer/or potential customer, what expections do you think should be met or should be set?

See my above post here

I mentioned a few, but also put to the community the question of other areas where transparancy of expectations either for buyer or facilitator should be set at the onset of an Offering.

And as I said elsewhere, many Facilitators do this already, and do it well. The benefit here is to set a standard so that all facilitators meet the same expectation in their offering that many already do, and that Facilitators are also given some protection from post-purchase change requests that dont meet their own expectation on buyer behavior.

If any customers in any of my sketch opps have problems/issues/concerns, they usually contact me by PM or in the group thread PM I create for all opportunities

Not perfect by any means, but really do my best and go above and beyond for the boardies. This is from paying extra for shipping, giving out free blanks for people that miss deadlines, doing international bank transfers, paying extra fees, etc. No one has ever fell through the cracks(no books have ever been lost/unaccounted for)

But boardies that participate in an opp have a group pm thread that gives out specific instructions per opp. I update the group threads as soon as I get updates from the artists

And I've been a customer in opps that took 2+years...this isn't something I wanted, but I knew that I would eventually get my book. I also knew the books were in the possession of the artist. I kept :baiting: about my book from time to time but I eventually got it

Anyways, my 2c

The standard should be open communication. I know that some opps take longer than others, and I go into it knowing that (I think most people do). What I don't appreciate are facilitators/artists who don't communicate about the status. I'm an easy going dude, as long as I know what is going on. Communication is always a good thing.

It doesn't take much for a facilitator to assure me that they are on top of the sketch opp - as long as I feel they are paying attention to business, I can live with delays.