• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Opportunity (Sketch/Sig Events) Standards?

232 posts in this topic

So how much longer before CGC just makes all opps an in-house action? Everything has to flow through FL be distributed to the artist/writer/etc for whatever you are having done and they cut themselves in for an ever increasing fee?
With all due respect to my more experienced SS brethren, this would be an absolutely ludicrous result. The event driving the creation of this thread was nothing more than bad communication and really lax shipping times. The calls for no more public opps or people quitting the opp business or whatever, is a good ole case of CGC SS hysteria!!!

There's not much wrong with the system the way it is right now. Nothing a little more public discourse or transparency couldn't fix, anyways.

So how much longer before CGC just makes all opps an in-house action? Everything has to flow through FL be distributed to the artist/writer/etc for whatever you are having done and they cut themselves in for an ever increasing fee?

interesting idea, but i think for the forseeable future they don't have the bandwith to deal with all the creators/agents directly. This might actually result in lower rates from the artists who want the publicity of being associated with CGC, as they are a BIG name with comic fans with $$

Honestly I meant it in more of a ludicrus tone, but I COULD actually see something like that happening. All it takes is enough artists getting turned off to the idea of CGC that it actually begins to affect the brand.

But that road goes both ways. You talk to someboyd like Sayger about CGC and he loves it and GoT specifically. Who else is he going to get to shoot his books?

But let's say an up and coming artist hears about CGC opps and wants to do one for his/her fans but doesn't know anything about them. Who does that artist probably contact? Probably walks over to the CGC booth at a show maybe? How does that work? Somebody just randomly picks representation for this artist from that point forward?

Adonis you should continue to contribute to the boards as you have been. Very few critiques are from other facilitators or your own customers

I was going to slow down or go completely private with opps, but due to this I've decided to go even harder and do more opps(with SS approval). Thanks guys! :headbang: If you don't like opps or how they operate please ignore them(and me)

If I have offended or done any of the boardies wrong please pm so we can discuss

When my "invisible"opp project is complete I'll let all hardcore sketch collectors know (thumbs u

I'll add my 2c since we are talking about standards.

If you are facilitating at a show and soliciting sigs sketches, please get those done before you go off and get your own stuff done. This will prevent the "Oh, sorry, didn't get it done...." and then you post XXX amount of sigs and sketches you did get done for yourself or resale at the same show. I know people have gotten butt hurt about this in the past.

Also, since I'm sure a lot of SS regulars are going to be reading this thread....

If CGC hires you to work a show - pays your airfare, hotel, compensation - don't take that as a free pass to run around and get your own stuff done or setup future sketch ops while paying customers are waiting. I know everyone is trying to make a little extra coin, but at this point I've given up on "the paid for show" employees and stick to a regular CGC employee or someone I know is a professional and knows what they are there for.

I shouldn't have to wait around while you're setting something up, picking something up, or staring at toys and wandering off. Be a professional and do the job you've been hired to do at the show.

Amen Brother!!

The program works great when everyone tries to help each other out. Everyone gets what they want. Watching some guys taking care of their own stuff when their supposed to be helping get books signed can your blood boil. I've seen it more than once.

I'm curious if/when CGC is going to crack the whip on this.

With all due respect to my more experienced SS brethren, this would be an absolutely ludicrous result. The event driving the creation of this thread was nothing more than bad communication and really lax shipping times. The calls for no more public opps or people quitting the opp business or whatever, is a good ole case of CGC SS hysteria!!!

There's not much wrong with the system the way it is right now. Nothing a little more public discourse or transparency couldn't fix, anyways.

with all due respect, its not hysteria

its being fatigued from the down-playing

I don't have the sickest collection of SS slabs

I don't collect SS books(well some)

I don't like most creator signings that much, not much of a fan

But I love sketch covers. Love the awards, love the opps, love the friends i've made. And guess what? I'm not alone. Is this acceptable enough? Can people with different focuses in their hobbies respect each other? Does one have to be better than the other? Am I a noob or underclass because i don't collect what you collect? There are different facets to the hobby, we all love CGC books whether they are sigs or sketches. Sorry for the rantrant Done

Adonis you should continue to contribute to the boards as you have been. Very few critiques are from other facilitators or your own customers

I was going to slow down or go completely private with opps, but due to this I've decided to go even harder and do more opps(with SS approval). Thanks guys! :headbang: If you don't like opps or how they operate please ignore them(and me)

If I have offended or done any of the boardies wrong please pm so we can discuss

When my "invisible"opp project is complete I'll let all hardcore sketch collectors know (thumbs u

Mike.. Thanks.

I think I will follow your lead.

Hopefully I'll hit hardcore status by that time. I'm just a small fry now.

I think the opps personally are wonderful things. I hit maybe one con a year and always volunteer so getting sketches can be a challenge. All the ones I have been a part of have been incredibly professional. Everything clearly laid out and great communication .

Hopefully I'll hit hardcore status by that time. I'm just a small fry now.

I think the opps personally are wonderful things. I hit maybe one con a year and always volunteer so getting sketches can be a challenge. All the ones I have been a part of have been incredibly professional. Everything clearly laid out and great communication .

:cloud9:

Maybe more responsibility needs to be placed on the artists themselves...
This will never happen. Some of the most unprofessional people that I have ever had to deal with were artist. They have no concept of time it seems.

Maybe more responsibility needs to be placed on the artists themselves...
This will never happen. Some of the most unprofessional people that I have ever had to deal with were artist. They have no concept of time it seems.

[font:Book Antiqua]At least they still understand the concept of Money very well...[/font]

:/

In all this, I'm sure it's been said before, but I'd like to say it myself:

A HUGE thank you to ALL facilitators of sketch opps - regardless of the ocassional nitpicking that might go on, I am very thankful people do sketch opps on the board. I live in the middle of nowhere in Montana, and going to any show requires a sizeable financial committment - so having Boardies offer sketch opps is an amazing opportunity for me to get OA that I would not be able to get otherwise.

So, thank you to those facilitators who make this stuff happen! :applause:

Brown nose.