• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get to know your fellow poster/collector

53 posts in this topic

Speaking of Survivor, I am a total fanatic and have applied five times. I am as much of a Survivor junkie as a comic fan. Yeah, I have all the Survivor DVDs.

You most likely guessed by my forum name that I play bass guitar. I've been playing over 25 years and am in both a cover tune band an an orginal band. Not trying to "make it in the biz" anymore, but still having fun.

BassG, my wife and I are total Survivor junkies too! And I play bass too, although I haven`t played in a band in years. I just jam with a friend who`s a guitar player every now and then. What do you play? I`m a Rickenbacker man, because I worshipped Geddy Lee when I was growing up and love that twangy sound.

I am a kick [!@#%^&^] rock guitarist who can play anything.

Can you play Yngwie Malmsteen`s version of Flight of the Bumblebee?

I'm always happy if I can hear an accurate version of the guitar solo from the live version of UFO's Rock Bottom. Many have tried, many have failed.

OK, bye dudes, I'm off to meet a few of ya' at the Chicago con. Signing out.------Sid

I enlisted in the AF out of high school and have been a programmer ever since, although now I'm a contractor (the pay is MUCH better grin.gif). Comics are my passion and I really enjoy setting up at conventions around the country and geeking out over cool high grade books. Just being a part of the industry is fun for me!

How long were you in the AF and where were you stationed?

Jim

Speaking of Survivor, I am a total fanatic and have applied five times. I am as much of a Survivor junkie as a comic fan. Yeah, I have all the Survivor DVDs.

You most likely guessed by my forum name that I play bass guitar. I've been playing over 25 years and am in both a cover tune band an an orginal band. Not trying to "make it in the biz" anymore, but still having fun.

BassG, my wife and I are total Survivor junkies too! And I play bass too, although I haven`t played in a band in years. I just jam with a friend who`s a guitar player every now and then. What do you play? I`m a Rickenbacker man, because I worshipped Geddy Lee when I was growing up and love that twangy sound.

OK, had to reply to one more post, thanks. Yup, wifey and I watch each episode, at least twice. I love Survivor trivia too. Got that down pretty good. Total Boston Rob fan. And yes, I don't care what anybody says, Jonny Fairplay was a cool guy and should have won Pearl Islands (I talked to winner Sandra on the phone once for 30 minutes- that was cool).

I grew up with Fender basses, mostly the Jazz. I wanted a Rickenbacher, but only really because Geddy played one. I never bought one though. Then I wanted Kubicki Ex-Factor basses because Stu Hamm (used to play with Satriani) played them. Bought two, one fretless. Then I became my own man and went Carvin all the way. Now I have a Carvin 1000 Watt double stack, two Carvin six-string basses (one fretless) and am about to receive my newest Carvin, a 5-string, from UPS anyday now. I am a total Carvin fan as they make the most beautiful instruments and are fairly inexpensive for their high quality as they sell direct only (www.carvin.com) without marking up for music stores. I still like Geddy, but I am more impressed with the session player Pino Paladino who is a fretless master and has played all the best fretless bass lines I have ever heard. He got his start with the Paul Young band and has since played with the biggest names in the business. -----Sid

I enlisted in the AF out of high school and have been a programmer ever since, although now I'm a contractor (the pay is MUCH better grin.gif). Comics are my passion and I really enjoy setting up at conventions around the country and geeking out over cool high grade books. Just being a part of the industry is fun for me!

How long were you in the AF and where were you stationed?

Jim

I did a 4 year tour. After basic training, I went thru tech. school in Biloxi, Ms. at Keesler AFB (Air Force Base) and then my first and only duty station was Montgomery, Al. at Maxwell AFB. I applied for overseas tours but my career field doesn't have many overseas options tongue.gif

I grew up with Fender basses, mostly the Jazz. I wanted a Rickenbacher, but only really because Geddy played one. I never bought one though. Then I wanted Kubicki Ex-Factor basses because Stu Hamm (used to play with Satriani) played them. Bought two, one fretless. Then I became my own man and went Carvin all the way. Now I have a Carvin 1000 Watt double stack, two Carvin six-string basses (one fretless) and am about to receive my newest Carvin, a 5-string, from UPS anyday now. I am a total Carvin fan as they make the most beautiful instruments and are fairly inexpensive for their high quality as they sell direct only (www.carvin.com) without marking up for music stores. I still like Geddy, but I am more impressed with the session player Pino Paladino who is a fretless master and has played all the best fretless bass lines I have ever heard. He got his start with the Paul Young band and has since played with the biggest names in the business. -----Sid

I`ve always wanted to get a fretless, because the sound is so cool. Is Paladino the bass player on "Every Time You Go Away?" I`ve always thought that song had the coolest fretless bass sound. Must be a bass player thing, because when I mention that to "normal" folks, they just look at me like I`m some kind of nut. Okay, actually they do that to me all the time anyways...

I took a year off of college between sophomore and junior year. I spent six months earning money -- taking any job I could get. I worked grounds crew at a resort, was a maid for a week, worked at the Carnation Co. in the factory for a month, then spent several months as a finisher of fiberglass snowmobile hoods, working 3rd shift.

I took the money I earned and went to Europe with 2 friends. We spent 6 months backpacking, hitchhiking, and taking trains, traveling throughout the continent. The highlight was when we went to Norway and stayed in the house where my grandfather was born. I met lots of members of my Norwegian family, and even found out that my picture was in their photo albums. An amazing experience to travel halfway around the world only to meet a bunch of people who looked just like me.

We had many incredible adventures on the trip, some scary, many fantastic. Three 21-yr-old American girls thumbing around Europe, well, you can imagine.

After the trip, I returned home and finished college. Two weeks later, by myself, I moved to Los Angeles. I knew I wanted to live here since I was 11.

-- Joanna

Well I guess that answers that age old question,...."Paladin, Paladin,...where do you roam ?"

Yep! I bet that rascal roams far, far from home!

...that post was taylor made for you Pov...everyone else is like ... confused.gif

uh - not really!!!!!!!

how's this from memory - "have gun will travel reads the card of a man"

"a knight without armor in a savage land"

"his fast gun for hire he's the calling wind"

"a soldier of fortune is a man called, Paladin......" grin.gif

oh, and i'm retired for over 2 years now, have a kickA$$ original purchase collection of SA marvel and DC's, was drafted at 19 into the army in 1966 and wound up getting commisioned and got out three years later as a 1st Looie.

used to teach ambush drills, village search techniques, immediate action drills, mountaineering/rappelling , patrolling and map reading classes.

and i just brought home a brand new chocolate lab puppy cloud9.gif

Well I guess that answers that age old question,...."Paladin, Paladin,...where do you roam ?"

Yep! I bet that rascal roams far, far from home!

...that post was taylor made for you Pov...everyone else is like ... confused.gif

uh - not really!!!!!!!

how's this from memory - "have gun will travel reads the card of a man"

"a knight without armor in a savage land"

"his fast gun for hire he's the calling wind"

"a soldier of fortune is a man called, Paladin......" grin.gif

oh, and i'm retired for over 2 years now, have a kickA$$ original purchase collection of SA marvel and DC's, was drafted at 19 into the army in 1966 and wound up getting commisioned and got out three years later as a 1st Looie.

used to teach ambush drills, village search techniques, immediate action drills, mountaineering/rappelling , patrolling and map reading classes.

and i just brought home a brand new chocolate lab puppy cloud9.gif

Question? Airborn or Ranger's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good luck with the demon-pup. Mine will be two in October. Is just now rounding into a really nice dog.Shes always been lovable and eager,but quite the thief.

Heres a hint- If you don't want a really large Lab,switch to adult food at about six months. My sister and I got two [!@#%^&^] from same litter. She fed hers puppychow for ten months,I switched at six. Her dog is about two inches taller,mine is more brawny. thumbsup2.gif

Good luck with the demon-pup. Mine will be two in October. Is just now rounding into a really nice dog.Shes always been lovable and eager,but quite the thief.

Heres a hint- If you don't want a really large Lab,switch to adult food at about six months. My sister and I got two [!@#%^&^] from same litter. She fed hers puppychow for ten months,I switched at six. Her dog is about two inches taller,mine is more brawny. thumbsup2.gif

hey, thanks - that's pretty interesting. i'm hoping for tall so i'll go the puppy food route and hope for the best. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

actually niether airborne or ranger. they lost our airborne training application papers when we were down in Ft Benning just after graduating from OCS. so i lucked out BIGTIME and got sent to Korea where i became the Commandant of the 7th Infantry Divisions Counterguerrila Warfare School.

because of my 13th month stint in Korea (during which the TET Offensive hit in NAM) i was sent back to the states to finish my mandatory service requirement.

wound up teaching Map Reading in Indiantown Gap, PA. to ROTC candidates, while i was actually assigned to Ft Knox with an Armored Infantry Battalion.

closest i got to the Rangers is when they gave us our 3 week Patrolling exercise in OCS. Georgia swamps at night in the middle of summer is no where to be..... grin.gif