• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get to know your fellow poster/collector

53 posts in this topic

alright well i am just collecting the side stories right now like excalibur and x-force but i will probably start working on uncanny x-men in like a month or two. I will let you know when i do.

oh and what is the bottom line i would be looking at on a raders copy of x-men #1? I dont want a HG i want like a nice cheap one. Just as long as it is not falling apart, spine is at least intact and there arent any chunks missing.

What are the cheapest you have seen one of these go for? Anyone have any LG early X-men let me know.

I was the 1976/1977 Miller Intercollgite(sp?) Beer Guzzling champ-winning 16 consecutive challenges of swigging a 48 ounce pitcher of brew.

Have participated in several "cannonballs",mostly from NYC to Las Vegas,and have never finished in top three of any.

Once took a canoe from Buffalo to NYC,following the Erie Canal.

Still working on becoming a professional Blackjack player.

I've base-jumped and bungi-jumped but the Big Shot on top of the stratosphere kicked my [!@#%^&^].Maybe when I was younger,but no way I'm trying that now.

After growing up in England, I ponced around the world for a few years, met my wife in a night club in Melbourne - we then ponced around together for a while before getting married and settling down in her home country New Zealand.

Mate, I love this place - it's about the same size of Britain but we only have 4 million here, poor old blighty is squeezing in 60 mill shocked.gif

Well....

First comic I remember reading was FF #105 or Captain Venture #1. I probably had read some before that but have no recollection. Knew who Spider-Man, FF, Batman, and Superman were probably from Saturday morning cartoons or in the case of Bat from Adam West TV show. I was hooked on comics....

Continued collecting until around 1978 when my step-mother persuaded me that comics were for kids and I sold my collection, to include a FN Adventure #247, to A&M Comics in Miami for a grand total of $7.

The most curious thing that happened before then non-comicswise was making the final cut when they were casting the New Mickey Mouse show in 1977(?). Didn't go through, 5 of us were cut, but remember it fondly. Say what you want about corporate Disney but they treated us very well.

Bought very few comics until I restarted collecting in 1987. One I did specifically go out and buy was Man of Steel #1. I was curious that DC was willing to rewrite the history of their most iconic character.

During the time before, I was lettered 3 years in football as a Defensive Back (last year 2nd team all-Dade county) and basketball (guard), graduated HS, spent two years at Mississippi State University (a huge eye opener for this Miami city boy), worked at the local cable company as first a dispatcher and finally as a service technician before joining the military in late 1986. Need a cable box "fixed"? I'm your man.... grin.gif

And essentially have traveled the world since then; collecting all the while. Of course I got married to a former AF girl and have a healthy son that can give a wit about comics.

Oh...and have had the privledge of watchign two shuttle launches from Cape Canaveral. One day launch and one night. You want to see an experience that'll give you religion? I highly recommend making it to the Cape for a night launch. Nothing touches it.....

There you go....

Jim

I was a DJ dj.gif during 4 years at the beginning of the 90's.

Nothing spectacular, and i was not able to live with this job but with the money i bough some LPs and CDs (I had given up my collection of comics at this time grin.gif).

unique, hmmm

I'm average height, average weight, & average looks...not much unique there.

I spend way too much time and money on comics...not much unique there.

Okay, here's one, in my early 20s worked as a tour guide at a place call the "Lost Sea" which is registered as the "world's largest underground" lake. You'd take about a 1 mile trek underground and ride on an infamous "glass bottom" boat to see the rainbow trout that was stocked in the water. Rainbow trout, yeah right, since they lived underground with no sunlight they would all turn white by the time their were adults.

Live a typical southern life...which means saying alot of "howdys" to others folks, going to church, raising kids, and just trying to make ends meet.

I'm an Eagle Scout...

I spent a month and a half backpacking around Costa Rica surfing...

In High School I had a guitar class with Ken Block, lead singer of Sister Hazel...

I lived and went to school in England when I was 13...

Both my parents read comics in the late 40's/early 50's and my dad still has some of his...

My mother-in-law is a travel agent, and as a result my 7-year old has vacationed in Miami, NYC, San Francisco, Denver...

Hulk is my favorite comic character and for a while I collected Hulk-related toys until I ran out of room to display them...

I like using ellipsis when I post as they convey a pause, or a sense of informality...which is a nice break from my job as I do a lot of technical writing full of legal mumbo-jumbo...

In High School I had a guitar class with Ken Block, lead singer of Sister Hazel...

Sister Hazel is a great band - saw them a few years ago here in Montgomery.

I enlisted in the AF out of high school and have been a programmer ever since, although now I'm a contractor (the pay is MUCH better grin.gif). Comics are my passion and I really enjoy setting up at conventions around the country and geeking out over cool high grade books. Just being a part of the industry is fun for me!

How long were you in England for, Doc? Enough time to pick up an accent?

No, we lived in Cambridge for six months while my dad was on sabbatical. I always thought it was odd though that my classmates (esp the girls cloud9.gif) told me they "...loved my accent!". Didn't they realize it was not me, but them, who talked funny?? 27_laughing.gif

I am a kick [!@#%^&^] rock guitarist who can play anything. I have a PRS guitar limited Shaman Painted Santana guitar given to me by Carlos and Company. I am a ex Navy Helicopter Squadron guy who loves comics. I once sat in a food court in Denver having a soda with a stranger at my table. I introduced myself. " He said glad to meet you my name is Chris Claremont I write comics."

I am a kick [!@#%^&^] rock guitarist who can play anything. I have a PRS guitar limited Shaman Painted Santana guitar given to me by Carlos and Company.

Cool...got a picture of your baby? cloud9.gif