• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if you can get one of the envelopes that Frank gave out on Sunday if your SDCC set was from Saturday? I am assuming they made envelopes for all 50 sets.

WTTB! I think the only person who would have the answer to your question would be Frank. Congrats on getting one of the sets!

Unfortunately I won't be selling/providing envelopes.

I know that might seem like a bummer, but I assure you--they are simply just plain paper envelopes with an image printed on the front (the vitruvian man/Fabian mash-up).

You could probably even make your own ;).

The comics didn't fit inside them so they seemed kind of pointless...just threw them in with the sets on day two because I had 'em.

Sorry!

I bought my brother a set and he just finished them. He loved the story and the art and like a lot of us said it has that awesome 70s feel. He told me he even liked the feel of the paper ( so do I ) and said hes in for the long haul. So another joins our growing ranks.

You guys are rocking it !

Thanks so much, Authority. We're hoping to get a lot of new readers on board with the next arc and having the collection out in September.

Clearly everyone here is amazing and a great supporter--but certainly make sure to pre-order your issues and the trade from your LCS! It helps us immensely!

Also, I'll be sharing fun stuff as it rolls in--if you're digging the book now I can't wait for you all to see issue 6 with Garry and the next arc with Chris--LOST COASTLINES!

Also, to anyone I have to ship stuff to--all packages will be out this week!

Thanks again for everything!

-Frank

Frank: truly stunning OA!!!

I've always wondered about the creative process. Do either Garry or Chris use actual pictures/structures to draw inspiration from? Or are they pulling stuff out of the ether and imagination?

I especially like the details in Garry's japanese bldgs. above!

On that note, here's Garry Brown's amazing splash page to FIVE GHOSTS #6--it'll be in stores October 30th!

tumblr_mr0su5Hr181ran91go1_1280.jpg

Great-looking art. I love Chris's stuff and I'm really digging Garry's take. However (and this is something I've talked about with Chris)...it bugs me when artists fake the Chinese characters. I know most readers can't tell, but for those who can, the faux Chinese writing sticks out like a sore thumb. It's lazy. It cheapens the page. A personal bugaboo, I admit. But really, not that hard to research online. There are artists who make the effort (such as Eric Powell) and it makes all the difference in the world in the finished product.

(As well, I believe Garry has a convenient resource at his disposal!)

Anyhow, still a big fan of the book, as you know. See you at NYCC!

To be fair, it's not supposed to be Chinese; it's Japanese. I don't speak or read Japanese myself, but Garry's wife is of Japanese descent, so I wouldn't put it past him to research it. Just saying.

Ah-so!!! :wink:

To be fair, it's not supposed to be Chinese; it's Japanese. I don't speak or read Japanese myself, but Garry's wife is of Japanese descent, so I wouldn't put it past him to research it. Just saying.

The traditional Japanese writing system (kanji) consists of Chinese characters. The literal translation of "kanji" is "Chinese characters". What's depicted here is neither Chinese nor Japanese. It's gibberish. So the comment still applies.

As for Garry's wife...that's who I meant by "convenient resource"! Presumably, it wouldn't have been too difficult for him to run this by her.

Again, I don't expect artists to be language experts nor do I demand 100% accuracy in everything that's drawn. But this, to me, is no different than consulting any other reference material when something unfamiliar needs to be drawn. A simple search yields this resource:

http://jisho.org/

It's, as I said, a minor detail and one that will go unnoticed by the vast majority of readers. This is just my opinion as a fan.

To answer your question Access:

Artists use reference all the time. We use our imaginations all the time, too. However, the two aren't mutually exclusive, as we try and mix our reference and our own idea when putting it on paper.

For example:

In this splash page, Garry probably got some reference for that building in the background, and even the little street scene in the foreground. Chances are he got several different shots and styles of both 'grounds', and mixed, matched, took, and discarded different ideas from all of them, until he came up with something wholly original.

That's what we do to keep things believable. At the same time, our job as the artist is not to be as accurate as possible. Our job is to get the point across in a timely manner, so that we keep the story in a fluid motion. Constant movement is key. If a reader stops for too long to ogle one particular panel or drawing, it ruins the flow of the narrative and takes the reader out of the story.

So while Nexus does have a good point in that finding reference is easy, it may not necessarily be the point of the piece to be as accurate as possible. Sometimes the point is to just get the idea across without being too specific. That idea applies in all aspects of narrative art. From a single line, to an entire scene.