• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing Survey Says . . .

14 posts in this topic

For several years now, there has been a continuous running debate regarding pressing. Without going into the ethical practice of the technique to drive up grades, I would like to ask a question and have participates reply with their answer.

How many collectors buying comics today are even aware of pressing to inflate CGC grading?

A. Greater than 90%

B. 80-89%

C. 70-79%

D. 60-69%

E. Less than 60%

How many collectors buying comics today don't care that the comics they are purchasing has been pressed?

A. Greater than 90%

B. 80-89%

C. 70-79%

D. 60-69%

E. Less than 60%

Much of the collecting community isn't actively seeking slabbed books - and probably doesn't care that much about pressing if they are aware of it, but among those collectors with a preference for slabbed copies, and who are wiling to pay the high premiums often associated with incremental grade increases, I'd think awareness of pressing is vey high. Whether people care or not is more likely a function of how much they care about a book's "potential" or a personal conviction that anything deliberately done to a comic to improve it's appearance is restoration.

D: around 70% and A 90% look at the blue label and do not give a hoot about pressing...only "old school" might object, but NO COLLECTOR in the early 80's protested when people began to "restore" comics. Pressing is a necessity along with a regrade.

For several years now, there has been a continuous running debate regarding pressing. Without going into the ethical practice of the technique to drive up grades, I would like to ask a question and have participates reply with their answer.

How many collectors buying comics today are even aware of pressing to inflate CGC grading?

A. Greater than 90%

B. 80-89%

C. 70-79%

D. 60-69%

E. Less than 60%

I would say less then 10 percent ever heard of pressing, and of that 10 percent most think pressing is sticking a pile of hardcovers on comics to press them. lol

No average comic book collector would believe that a cgc 3.5 to cgc 4.0 slight press bump would net thousands of dollars in profit. :o

Most have trust and good faith that somebody would be a watch dog over this. :(

Yes

the strength of pressing is that people will not believe in or know what pressing really is.

Its Ingenious. :devil:

Respectfully CC

Who cuts thru all the gobs of bs,and calls it like he sees it.

;)

Pressing is a necessity.

Explain.

[font:Times New Roman]I think Mitch is just saying that IF you're having a book regraded, pressing is a necessity.

Otherwise, any potential grade bump would call into question the veracity of earlier grades. Pressing allows plenty of wiggle room for plausible deniability.[/font] hm

Much of the collecting community isn't actively seeking slabbed books - and probably doesn't care that much about pressing if they are aware of it, but among those collectors with a preference for slabbed copies, and who are wiling to pay the high premiums often associated with incremental grade increases, I'd think awareness of pressing is vey high. Whether people care or not is more likely a function of how much they care about a book's "potential" or a personal conviction that anything deliberately done to a comic to improve it's appearance is restoration.

Well stated.

Pressing is a necessity.

Explain.

[font:Times New Roman]I think Mitch is just saying that IF you're having a book regraded, pressing is a necessity.

Otherwise, any potential grade bump would call into question the veracity of earlier grades. Pressing allows plenty of wiggle room for plausible deniability.[/font] hm

Interesting outlook on it. Makes me feel less guilty about doing it :angel:

All along I was just helping CGC to save face.

After lurking about on this subject for several years now, I've come to this conclusion:

Sayre's law states "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."

By way of corollary, pedantic discussions about comic book pressing is the most vicious and bitter, because no one outside of CGC Forums cares.