• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To tape, or not to tape...

35 posts in this topic

I'm in need of advice. I have a question about two golden age books I'm considering purchasing. The first looks about a 6.5 to 7.0 but has a minor cover spine split on the spine near the top staple probably about an inch. The pages are unaffected.

Q1)

How much will that affect the grade? Will it appreciate more if I tape it? I'd be really happy with a 6.0 but fear the slight cover split might bring it down more...

Q2)

The other book is probably a 2.0 but looks more like a 6.0. Again....due to a more severe multiple spine splits through not only the cover, but the pages as well. I could upgrade this 2 book to maybe a 5/6 with tape?

In full disclosure, as a collector I don't care about tape on Golden age books if I can't see it. I care more about the blue label and how it presents.

Thanks for your help!

Don't put tape on a comic.

I know you didn't like that answer, but it's the correct answer.

Purist! :baiting:

Putting tape on a comic for the sake of a grade now, even though the tape will cause great damage to the comic 20 years from now, is grounds for depenisification if I've ever heard it.

Don't put tape on a comic.

I know you didn't like that answer, but it's the correct answer.

Purist! :baiting:

Putting tape on a comic for the sake of a grade now, even though the tape will cause great damage to the comic 20 years from now, is grounds for depenisification if I've ever heard it.

I would never knowingly purchase a book with tape on it.

I'm in need of advice. I have a question about two golden age books I'm considering purchasing. The first looks about a 6.5 to 7.0 but has a minor cover spine split on the spine near the top staple probably about an inch. The pages are unaffected.

Q1)

How much will that affect the grade? Will it appreciate more if I tape it? I'd be really happy with a 6.0 but fear the slight cover split might bring it down more...

Q2)

The other book is probably a 2.0 but looks more like a 6.0. Again....due to a more severe multiple spine splits through not only the cover, but the pages as well. I could upgrade this 2 book to maybe a 5/6 with tape?

In full disclosure, as a collector I don't care about tape on Golden age books if I can't see it. I care more about the blue label and how it presents.

Thanks for your help!

Tape can do significant damage to a book in the long run, so you should avoid it. In the cases you are discussing, I don't think you are going to receive a grade bump from taping spine splits. My impression is that grade bumps typically come from taping a detached cover to a book or from taping together a completely split cover.

CGC does consider tape a defect, it's just that in some cases it amounts to less of a defect than a completely detached or split cover.

ok let me rephrase - archival quality sealing of the splits. Is that different than tape? Would that count as restoration?

PS

Thanks Dice and Sqeggs for intelligent answers that respect the intelligence of the poster while giving valuable insight into the why, rather than blanket opinionated statements that offer absolutely nothing,

Q1)

Typically, taping a 1" spine split will not trump the small split it seals. I would leave it alone if you buy the book.

Q2)

You are not likely to get even close to a 6.0 by taping a comic with multiple splits to the cover, and interior pages.

And right or wrong, this comment is why you were met with a lot of snark. Even if you cannot see the tape, does not mean it isn't harmful. And why people questioned that you even brought up taping books for a Blue label.

Thanks for your help!

And right or wrong, this comment is why you were met with a lot of snark. Even if you cannot see the tape, does not mean it isn't harmful. And why people questioned that you even brought up taping books for a Blue label.

Thanks for your help!

My middle name is Snark.

I own taped books from the 50's that do not show any damage. Was the tape used back then safer? Or do I have to wait another 50 years to see damage? (this is not snark)

Thanks for your help!

My middle name is Snark.

I own taped books from the 50's that do not show any damage. Was the tape used back then safer? Or do I have to wait another 50 years to see damage? (this is not snark)

doit-1.gif