• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Lynch's vision of Dune. Yes...I am still a fan.

51 posts in this topic

Lynch Dune is f***** awesome! I care not what anyone else thinks.

So much better than the sci-fi channel version.

Imagine if Geiger would have taken up the invitation for set design? Fuuuuuu....

and imagine Dali's vision.

So many places this film could have gone. It needs cinematic justice...

although I think the best thing that could happen is a super high-budget mini-series or HBO seasonal treatment.

It's easy to criticize people who have tried tackling the Dune project because doing so has proven to be no easy task. It's a complex story...hard to cram all the necessary knowledge into a three or four hour package.

But coming from a guy who has read all of the Frank Herbert novels...Lynch had an awesome vision. Fantastic casting. The film LOOKED and FELT awesome. Call me silly but I loved the Toto soundtrack. haha

But yes the plot was horribly confusing because of all the stuff that had to be cut. If you haven't read the novels, then you are totally lost.

And the cheesy gun effect of the so called "weirding modules" was cheezy. Really cheesy.

So was Paul and Gurney's battle...two warriors reduced to 2-bit rendered cubes of gellatin. Looked like you were watching the fight through a glass window smeared with vaseline.

But despite that...it's very endearing. Love it.

I know the very latest attempt was cancelled by the studio before pre-production. Probably a good thing. This story needs onscreen justice...complete.

Dear newshane,

Oldshane called and said for you to get your back to 1984. Your critiques are needed for a Dungeons and Dragons tournament being held in his mother's basement.

That is all.

xoxo,

Dice

Paging Blowie

I'd thought I'd let you start. :foryou:

I'm in love with this movie.

I would have this movie's babies.

I love making sweet, sweet watch to this movie.

It is nigh perfect (tonally, not necessarily otherwise).

And yes, I've read the Frank Herbert series many, many times. And yes, still like the Lynch Dune. (I even like the two novels his kid wrote to "finish off" the series, but refuse to read the other novels co-written by his boy.)

Being a die-hard fan of the novels, I agree as well. The movie is near perfect despite the accelerated plot.

I also agree that as a movie for the masses, it is a complete disaster. There is little hope for anyone who had not read Dune. The little one-page glossary they handed out at the movie nonwithstanding.

Lynch Dune is f***** awesome! I care not what anyone else thinks.

When I was a teenager, I had a tendency to fixate on things - books, movies, t.v., comics - that nobody else around me liked, understood or cared about.

Dune was one of those movies and I'm still very fond of it. Own it on blu-ray! :grin:

FYI while the blu-ray has the same packaging artwork as the DVD, it does NOT have the extended Smithee version of the film. It does have deleted scenes though....which I actually prefer over the extended cut.

So much better than the sci-fi channel version.

AMEN!

Imagine if Geiger would have taken up the invitation for set design? Fuuuuuu....

I thought Geiger actually did do some concept art for one of the previous attempts to get Dune on film. I distinctly remember Starlog advertising a portfolio of Geiger's Dune concept art.

I don't know it to be a fact, but it certainly seems like Lynch borrowed from that previous concept art because there's parts in the movie - the interiors to Atreides castle, Geidi Prime exteriours, etc. - that really look Geiger influenced.

So many places this film could have gone. It needs cinematic justice...

Yes, I think one of the things that really spoils the cinematic presentation of film is the decision to tint all of the desert scenes orange. I know it's to give the impression they're on an alien planet and the presence of the spice, but it really spoils the beauty of those shots. The desert shots during the opening credits, by comparison, look great.

It's easy to criticize people who have tried tackling the Dune project because doing so has proven to be no easy task. It's a complex story...hard to cram all the necessary knowledge into a three or four hour package.

It's amazing that this film can hit all the high points of the book and yet still feels less than the sum of it's parts. It's so frustrating that they can take Lord of the Rings - equally long, complex and potentially confusing for those not in the know - and successfully translate it to film in a way that satisfies both hardcore fans and general audiences. But with Dune, it's elusive....

But coming from a guy who has read all of the Frank Herbert novels...Lynch had an awesome vision. Fantastic casting. The film LOOKED and FELT awesome. Call me silly but I loved the Toto soundtrack. haha

I felt the casting was spot-on too! When I read the books, I picture those actors in my minds eye. I LOVED the costumes and set designs - even though I know many of them weren't true to the book.

But yes the plot was horribly confusing because of all the stuff that had to be cut. If you haven't read the novels, then you are totally lost.

And the cheesy gun effect of the so called "weirding modules" was cheezy. Really cheesy.

Yeah, the effects for the worms wasn't quite up to snuff either. Mid-80's was a tough time for effects-heavy sci-fi movies. Effects had made a huge leap with Star Wars....but just wan't quite there yet to pull off stuff like this convincingly.

So was Paul and Gurney's battle...two warriors reduced to 2-bit rendered cubes of gellatin. Looked like you were watching the fight through a glass window smeared with vaseline.

Put in context, though, this was one of the early attempts - along with Tron and The Last Starfighter - to integrate CGI with live-action. It looks lame now but at the time I thought it was a pretty cool way to execute the shield effect.

But despite that...it's very endearing. Love it.

Me too. (thumbs u I also love the Marvel Super Special adaptation, thought it was one of the few that didn't looked phoned in. Bill Sienkewicz (sp?) art really complimented the look and tone Lynch was going for.

book was beter than movie

My friend...that's the greatest understatement I've heard in a long time.

The book is a masterpiece.

The little one-page glossary they handed out at the movie nonwithstanding.

They really did that? wow!

I'd love to have one of those. heh

The little one-page glossary they handed out at the movie nonwithstanding.

They really did that? wow!

I'd love to have one of those. heh

In the book Space Adventure Collectibles by T. M. Tunbusch there's a small, b&w picture of it on page 50, upper right corner.