• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Marvel keys ready to plateau in value.

59 posts in this topic

While Marvel keys have benefitted from dramatic increases in value over the last 40 years, if memory serves it hasn't always been steady. They seem to double in value in a fairly short period and then flatten for a while before the next run up. I'm not talking about the truly high grade stuff, which has also enjoyed a steady and spectacular increase in the multiples they fetch over low-mid grade copies, but the 2.0-8.0 books most collectors tend to acquire.

So over the next 3-5 years, do folks here think they'll go up steadily or barely if at all?

Honestly I don't think they will, there's too many copies. I have personally owned 5 different AF15s it seems for the silver age there is plenty of supply for anyone. That is my big issue. Now if we get more collectors In the market that would make it harder to get a key then yes they will go up in price.

I think ST 110 has already seen a big bump it might see another run up if the movie is done right...Sgt Fury seems to be up to a point but kind of levels off..Plus the movies sort of skipped right over Sgt. Fury. It was more Like Dum Dum and the Howlers

DD#1 is another under rated key I hope they do a great movie and bump that 1 up..

I do agree though nice keys hold there value or go up...What is a money market at less than 1 %...I look at my Keys as long to short term Bonds...Beats just money away I have something liquid I can move without any penalties if i need the cash. Tricky part is holding them for the long run.

I sold my AF 15 I bought last year for a nice profit I just couldn't keep on looking at 10K + starring me in the face when I needed the cash. But it worked nice as a short term investment went up 10% in the time I held it

Honestly I don't think they will, there's too many copies. I have personally owned 5 different AF15s it seems for the silver age there is plenty of supply for anyone. That is my big issue. Now if we get more collectors In the market that would make it harder to get a key then yes they will go up in price.

Anecdotally I see a lot of young kids in my LCS, which bodes well for the hobby. I think this is especially true since in Australia comics have been a fringe hobby with a very very small demographic ever since I started collecting as a kid (mid 90s).

has anyone else noticed this?

I'd wager that the SA keys will do better than the average money market for the next 3-5 years.

As a matter of fact, I have already placed that bet.

Shad do you work in the money markets? Just curious to get the opinion of someone with quantitative skills.

I see my comics.....as my comics. If they are worth more a year from now....cool. If they are worth less....cool. I am not investing in my comics. People ask me all the time (people who do not collect comics...but know I collect) and I tell them I have no idea what the total guide value of my stuff is worth. People dont understand that. Any one wanna grade and add up 18K books for me? :popcorn: It's not like I am selling any of them any time soon.

I see my comics.....as my comics. If they are worth more a year from now....cool. If they are worth less....cool. I am not investing in my comics. People ask me all the time (people who do not collect comics...but know I collect) and I tell them I have no idea what the total guide value of my stuff is worth. People dont understand that. Any one wanna grade and add up 18K books for me? :popcorn: It's not like I am selling any of them any time soon.

Aaaaaahhhhh. But this isn't a thread about people who aren't interested in worth. The questions asks for speculation about future prices.

Aaaaaahhhhh. But this isn't a thread about people who aren't interested in worth. The questions asks for speculation about future prices.

Ahhhhhhhh. Speculators...I did that on X-Force #1. I did not get rich quick from that bright idea. Buy the books. Enjoy the books. If your looking to retire from your hobby. You might be in the wrong hobby. I think a lot of books should be valued more. Years go by and those books never go up as much. Rawhide Kid 17 and Two Gun Kid 60... :sumo:

Ahhhhhhhh. Speculators...I did that on X-Force #1. I did not get rich quick from that bright idea. Buy the books. Enjoy the books. If your looking to retire from your hobby. You might be in the wrong hobby. I think a lot of books should be valued more. Years go by and those books never go up as much. Rawhide Kid 17 and Two Gun Kid 60... :sumo:

My point was that your comment isnt helpful. Every time someone starts a thread about price trends some one chimes in to dissuade everyone against investment. Well the question wasn't if they would make good investments but how prices will behave in the future.

I am personally interested in this information because I want to own these books. And if consensus is that sa keys are going to spike in the near future I will make sure to prioritize them over BA keys so I can afford them. This might not be a perfect plan but it is better than buying blindly. Especially when I am trying to build a large collection.

So thanks for the financial planning advice but it wasn't helpful. :)

For my investments I stick to derivitatives, equity, bonds and cash. Comics and cars are for fun.

My point was that your comment isnt helpful. Every time someone starts a thread about price trends some one chimes in to dissuade everyone against investment. Well the question wasn't if they would make good investments but how prices will behave in the future.

I am personally interested in this information because I want to own these books. And if consensus is that sa keys are going to spike in the near future I will make sure to prioritize them over BA keys so I can afford them. This might not be a perfect plan but it is better than buying blindly. Especially when I am trying to build a large collection.

So thanks for the financial planning advice but it wasn't helpful. :)

For my investments I stick to derivitatives, equity, bonds and cash. Comics and cars are for fun.

Right. And the boards are for fun. Take that crying to the school yard. :blahblah:

I’d definitely say that TTA #27 HAS hit its potential. :sick:

At least for me, I would not feel like spending so much for that, I’d rather save for a FF #1. :sorry:

Honestly, I agree with The-Collector. Most of the silver age prices are insane from a foreign collector viewpoint , and it helps to know which priority you should give if you’d really love to have a book.

Considering you collect for enjoying the books is right, but knowing how prices can change is helpful. That is why I dislike movies: not only they provide what to me is a largely inadequate depiction of the characters (but Marvel has been increasingly doing the same in comics), but they also cause speculation waves which have nothing to do with the actual comics' content.