• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Marvel keys ready to plateau in value.

59 posts in this topic

It's really tough to say.

I think a lot of the SA keys have skyrocketed because of the movies. Just look at TOS39. Iron Man was a B character in Marvel for a while... the movies really vaulted him to A status.

Eventually the movie novelty will wear off. Eventually people will say "do we REALLY need ANOTHER Spider-Man origin/reboot story?" Eventually, Marvel/DC flicks won't be the "in" thing at the box office. It's at that time that I see the books plateauing.

Let's face it, a lot of them saw big bumps pre-movie hype. Look at Iron Man 55 (1st Thanos). That book was $100 book until the 5 second clip of Thanos at the end of the Avengers movie...

I just feel the comics values are greatly weighted by the movies and that eventually, those same movies MAY become redundant.

I think a lot of the SA keys have skyrocketed because of the movies. Just look at TOS39. Iron Man was a B character in Marvel for a while... the movies really vaulted him to A status.

Let's face it, a lot of them saw big bumps pre-movie hype. Look at Iron Man 55 (1st Thanos). That book was $100 book until the 5 second clip of Thanos at the end of the Avengers movie...

I just feel the comics values are greatly weighted by the movies and that eventually, those same movies MAY become redundant.

I agree. And I don't think the movie fan crowd are the long-term comic collectors that sustain values for an issue or title.

(shrug)

Some have already settled in, some have a ton of room for growth. Given the Iron Man movies, the popularity of the Avengers, the cheapness of Daredevil, there are several that have plenty of room to continue to escalate. I think X-Men still has plenty of room to go up too, based solely on the popularity of the franchise.

Key word was a B character. He now will always be an A character. The leader of the Avengers. More Iron Man action figures and toys were sold than Spider-Man and Superman action figures and toys these last few years.

Tos 39 is the best pick,with X-men 1 not too far behind.

Key word was a B character. He now will always be an A character. The leader of the Avengers. More Iron Man action figures and toys were sold than Spider-Man and Superman action figures and toys these last few years.

I'd definitely throw dd1 in the mix with both of those. The right movie with the right cast would do the same thing for dd that Favreau and Downey jr did for iron man.

I'd definitely throw dd1 in the mix with both of those. The right movie with the right cast would do the same thing for dd that Favreau and Downey jr did for iron man.

So many DD1s around though. They don't have any type of scarcity. Not saying other books have much more but it seems like DD1 has the most in 8.0+

So many DD1s around though. They don't have any type of scarcity. Not saying other books have much more but it seems like DD1 has the most in 8.0+

That is true. 200 dds to about 90 xmen 1s.

Some have already settled in, some have a ton of room for growth. Given the Iron Man movies, the popularity of the Avengers, the cheapness of Daredevil, there are several that have plenty of room to continue to escalate. I think X-Men still has plenty of room to go up too, based solely on the popularity of the franchise.

.....these are all the books that the next generation is lusting over. ....and availability is actually a plus for market growth. David Bowers. a very famous coin dealer. made an observation early in his career that influenced his decision to make it his full time occupation... # 1, there was considerable demand for vintage, and most importantly, # 2, there was adequate supply to meet the demand. That is the way a success story utilizes "big picture" thinking. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree with the TOS #39 and X-Men #1 suggestions based on the strength of the franchises, but Iron Man is riskier to me especially if Favreau and Downey Jr. ever leave the films. The X-Men are popular enough to withstand weak movies, but I do not believe that Iron Man will be able to.

I agree with the TOS #39 and X-Men #1 suggestions based on the strength of the franchises, but Iron Man is riskier to me especially if Favreau and Downey Jr. ever leave the films. The X-Men are popular enough to withstand weak movies, but I do not believe that Iron Man will be able to.

I beg to differ.Iron Man is now far from a risky character,ToS 39 will be just fine. (thumbs u

I beg to differ.Iron Man is now far from a risky character,ToS 39 will be just fine. (thumbs u

TOS 39 and a couple of other keys in that run (48 for instance) were substantially undervalued five years ago. For decades, Iron Man has been a consistent seller with a lot of collectors. TOS 39will as Oak said be just fine. For that matter IM 1 is going to be fine, since for a lot of collections that is the starting point.

There's too much worry about the market right now for the Marvel keys plateauing. Taking a long term view, the cycle of hot and then cooling down has gone on since collecting was a recognized hobby. In stocks, the people making money are the ones that buy during the dips. I can't say what the market is going to be for run books in average condition 10 years from now. But I'm pretty certain that key issues in nice condition are going to be worth more in 10 years. Big keys in high grade probably more still.

That said, there are some SA key issues by DC and even Gold Key/Archie that it might be wise to have on the want list.

I am not saying that TOS 39 will tank, but if those two leave the franchise and the new teams' movies bomb then it will likely plateau and stagnate for a bit before rising again. It was not that long ago that IM #1 and TOS #39 were not fast movers at full guide. I can remember having 6+ copies of IM #1 and Cap #100, as well as a couple of copies of TOS #39, sit for 2-3 years at guide before finally selling them all. Granted, that was pre-IM 1 movie, but it was not that long ago either.........

I agree with the TOS #39 and X-Men #1 suggestions based on the strength of the franchises, but Iron Man is riskier to me especially if Favreau and Downey Jr. ever leave the films.

Favreau is already gone (he left as producer/director after IM 2), so we'll see what people think of IM3 without him at the helm shortly.

He's still playing Happy in IM3, but obviously that's not the key ingredient of his involvement.

Coincidentally, there's rumors in the air about Downey Jr. right now as well. He's hinting that the character may go on without him, and his contractual involvement has concluded with IM3 and he has not yet signed on for Avengers 2.

edited to add -- thinking about it, I bet they won't sign him for Avengers 2. I bet IM3 is it for him. They'll want to sign someone for a long stint again (Avengers 2 and 3 plus more Iron Man down the road... stuff that would likely stretch into 2020 or so), and that's a long stretch for one actor to devote to one character/franchise.

Avengers 2 is going to be a monster anyway, so they can bring someone else into the role then, and then do a soft reboot on the IM franchise in 2016 or 2017, with someone new in the role.

What do you guys think of the upside to books like Strange Tales 110 and Fantastic Four 52? They have already announced a Dr. Strange movie and I don't think Black Panther can be far behind, although I wouldn't be surprised for the name to be changed to just Panther. I think these minor keys could really take off in the next couple of years.

What do you guys think of the upside to books like Strange Tales 110 and Fantastic Four 52? They have already announced a Dr. Strange movie and I don't think Black Panther can be far behind, although I wouldn't be surprised for the name to be changed to just Panther. I think these minor keys could really take off in the next couple of years.

I think both books still have significant upside. Strange Tales 110 is hurt by the fact that it's the worst intro cover for a hero intro ever, but Doc Strange is the more significant character in the marvel mythos. FF52 has been flying under the radar for years, so a movie rumor would cause it to leap up in value significantly.

IMO,

DD 1 will never hit the levels of the other major Marvel keys. Too many around. Yes, you can say the same thing about AF15 but Spiderman will ALWAYS trump DD easily in both popularity and demand. DD 1 should grow somewhat. The questions is how much?

TTA 27 - C'mon, it's freakin' Ant Man.

Say it with me people, Ant Man. How much higher can it possibly go?

While superhero movies are a natural fit for the CGI intensive films of today, they won't always have the box office dominance they currently enjoy. The genre will remain a presence, and both Batman and Spiderman have had successful reboots, but at some point the general audience interest will wane, and keeping franchises alive may not seem worth the investment. Downey's portrayal of Stark is such a big part of Iron Man's success as a movie character, that even if they replace him for another couple of Avengers movies, I wouldn't count on an Iron Man reboot. Sure the character remains reasonably popular, but he is currently being outsold by Aquaman.

IMO,

DD 1 will never hit the levels of the other major Marvel keys. Too many around. Yes, you can say the same thing about AF15 but Spiderman will ALWAYS trump DD easily in both popularity and demand. It should grow somewhat. The questions is how much?

TTA 27 - C'mon, it's freakin' Ant Man.

Say it with me people, Ant Man. How much higher can it possibly go?

It's got scarcity on its side and its one of the key marvel 10centers.