• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High shipping on CGC books on ebay

45 posts in this topic

I just shipped a slab in a priority box from Boston to Arizona my cost $8.19 w/ Tracking

I'm rarely satisfied with simple tracking, anymore, unless it's a real low-value book. I almost always use signature confirmation, which adds about $2.50.

How is it possible that you shipped a slab from Boston to Arizona? The cheapest I could find was $9.88.

Edit: "Your cost" here had to have been discounted under the TRS rates - which a normal seller on eBay wouldn't have access to.

I've gotten used to $10 shipping for CGC books on ebay, and typically people ship CGC in bubble wrap in boxes. $10 seems high, but I've never shipped them myself so maybe it's the right number. Anyway, $10 seems the norm.

But sometimes sellers have shipping at up to $15 a book, shipping within the US. I've just been browsing some books on ebay where this is the case. For people who sell and ship CGCs -- Is there really a justification for shipping to be so high?

Expect higher prices...everyone has jacked up their prices. As a seller I'm no longer subsidizing eBay's profits...seller pays or they don't buy.

Oh wait...I don't use eBay.

As you were.

It's $12.35 for a medium flat rate USPS box.

A slab can fit in one of those?

Medium Flat Rate Box dimensions = 13 5/8" x 11 7/8"

Slab dimensions = 13" x 8 1/4"

Unless you have almost no padding at each end of the slab, I don't see how you can ship it in a Medium Flat Rate box. Any significant amount of pressure at either end of the box might crack the case.

I guess if you dont care about it coming to you in pieces I guess it would work.

im actually shipping slabs right now for ebay purchases. to california, from georgia is under $9.

plenty of bubble wrap inside a 1092 flat rate box then inserted into a 1095 shipping box is around 1lb 13oz. but after adding insurance and signature its at right above $14, like 14.50 or something.

edit:shipped priority mail, not flat rate.

I just shipped a book to CGC because it had a wrong labeled.

I spent $15.95.

Shipping from California.

Here's the break down...

(Priority Mail) $11.30 + (Insured $100) $2.45 + (Signature Confirmation) $2.20 = 15.95

That's not including my time and material.

Anything around $16 is fair.

The price of gas has double in the past few years. I'm surprised that people complain about $10 or $15 to ship something.

Sometimes I think we lose sight of what we're getting for our money.

We're getting an item shipped and safely arriving 1000's of miles away within a few days.

$10 or $15 is a small price to pay for that IMO.

I have no problem paying north of $15 for that.

The price of gas has double in the past few years. I'm surprised that people complain about $10 or $15 to ship something.

We're getting an item shipped and safely arriving 1000's of miles away within a few days.

I hear what you're saying, but it depends on the book. If I'm buying a cgc book that's over $200, then 10% of the price to ship is worth it.

But if I'm buying a cheap CGC ($30 and below), then any shipping price over $10 is going to turn me off from buying, unless it's a book I'm really looking for (ie, modern books that for one reason or another I like, and I'm waiting for someone to cgc and offer for sale). Which begs the question why people cgc non-key / non-hot modern books, unless it's for their personal collections.

(thumbs u I'd charge more if I were in charge.

I ship over 100 CGC books a month via my eBay store. I ship via USPS priority mail and double box to ensure that they arrive without any damage. Use of the double box increases the weight and limits the use of the odd shaped flat rate boxes.

The weight of MOST packages I send out are around 2.4-2.8 ozs and prices range based on location (around $7 for South East coast to over $15 for Hawaii and some areas such as CA)

Because USPS shipping ranges based on location and weight of the shipment you will find ebay sellers located closer to you will probably have less expensive shipping costs.

I hear what you're saying, but it depends on the book. If I'm buying a cgc book that's over $200, then 10% of the price to ship is worth it.

But if I'm buying a cheap CGC ($30 and below), then any shipping price over $10 is going to turn me off from buying, unless it's a book I'm really looking for (ie, modern books that for one reason or another I like, and I'm waiting for someone to cgc and offer for sale). Which begs the question why people cgc non-key / non-hot modern books, unless it's for their personal collections.

Just remember, when it comes to shipping, you literally get what you pay for. If you only want to pay less than $10 to have a slab shipped to you, you should be prepared for a lot of broken slabs being sent to you.

I totally get where you're coming from and was going to edit my post to sympathize after I realized that I'd left that point out.

While you are still getting a reasonably well priced service in the grand scheme of things, it does make collecting more expensive.

Just remember, when it comes to shipping, you literally get what you pay for. If you only want to pay less than $10 to have a slab shipped to you, you should be prepared for a lot of broken slabs being sent to you.

Yup.

Sellers are still responsible for getting the product to the customer as advertised for any paypal/ebay purchase.

Also seemingly appropriate shipping charges are no guarantee of adequate shipping practices. However, I would agree that woefully inadequate shipping charges are more likely to engender woefully inadequate shipping practices.

Yep. Cry me a river for the guys who are worried about that. eBay shipping to Aus is minimum $50. So, if you win a slab for $26 - you pay double that to get the book.

Gotta be keen on your comics!! (thumbs u

I just shipped a slab in a priority box from Boston to Arizona my cost $8.19 w/ Tracking
That sounds bare bones.

Be careful. If you cut corners with packing materials or padding, you'll get returns, customer complaints, or you may simply lose the customers who never say anything at all, but don't come back.

i started to include some of my shipping costs within my initial bid and lower overall shipping to $10. i dont cheap out on the shipping materials. i know it will cost around 15 so i add 5 to my initial bid and keep shipping at 10. if i know the book will sell for around $100 i just give free shipping.

I ship Fed Ex ground, signature required, insured for the exact amount if over $500, and the average cost is around $18-$20. I now ask $14.95 for shipping.

I’ve all but lost faith in the U S postal system. There online tracking is a joke. I just recently shipped 4 books using fedex. We’re both in Calif, so no great distance. It was shipped ground, insured, signature required. It cost just over $14 and they got the books the next day. On the other end, I shipped a single book to New Hampshire, the exact same way and it cost $21. They paid $800 for the book, so I didn’t hear any complaints. Just let them know up front how you plan on shipping. They’ll either buy from you or they won’t. Anything under $100, I usually don’t ask for a signature and if it’s a single book, I can get it shipped to most places for about $12 or $13. Bottom line, when I ship an item, I want to know where it is every moment until it reaches the buyer. The Fedex system does that. The U S postal system…DOESN’T!!!!

There has never been a lost shipment.

I ship Fed Ex ground, signature required, insured for the exact amount if over $500, and the average cost is around $18-$20. I now ask $14.95 for shipping.

I’ve all but lost faith in the U S postal system. There online tracking is a joke. I just recently shipped 4 books using fedex. We’re both in Calif, so no great distance. It was shipped ground, insured, signature required. It cost just over $14 and they got the books the next day. On the other end, I shipped a single book to New Hampshire, the exact same way and it cost $21. They paid $800 for the book, so I didn’t hear any complaints. Just let them know up front how you plan on shipping. They’ll either buy from you or they won’t. Anything under $100, I usually don’t ask for a signature and if it’s a single book, I can get it shipped to most places for about $12 or $13. Bottom line, when I ship an item, I want to know where it is every moment until it reaches the buyer. The Fedex system does that. The U S postal system…DOESN’T!!!!

Were these 4 books CGC books? I may switch to FedEx for multiple books if they are.

Were these 4 books CGC books? I may switch to FedEx for multiple books if they are.

Yes all 4 were cgc graded.