• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High shipping on CGC books on ebay

45 posts in this topic

I've gotten used to $10 shipping for CGC books on ebay, and typically people ship CGC in bubble wrap in boxes. $10 seems high, but I've never shipped them myself so maybe it's the right number. Anyway, $10 seems the norm.

But sometimes sellers have shipping at up to $15 a book, shipping within the US. I've just been browsing some books on ebay where this is the case. For people who sell and ship CGCs -- Is there really a justification for shipping to be so high?

it used to cost less than $10 for medium priority box 3 years ago and most people used that box but that cost has climbed to around $13.50 ($50 insurance included) so I think $15 might be a tad high but anything around $13.50 is good I say. On books $250 and higher, sellers tend to also include signature and that send the cost over $14.

I've gotten used to $10 shipping for CGC books on ebay, and typically people ship CGC in bubble wrap in boxes. $10 seems high, but I've never shipped them myself so maybe it's the right number. Anyway, $10 seems the norm.

But sometimes sellers have shipping at up to $15 a book, shipping within the US. I've just been browsing some books on ebay where this is the case. For people who sell and ship CGCs -- Is there really a justification for shipping to be so high?

If somebody is shipping you a slab for $10 they're losing money on shipping.

And most likely not insuring it.

It's $12.35 for a medium flat rate USPS box.

Just to have insurance it cost 1.95 to start.

When I shipped a $500 slab it cost $7.40 to insure it from SF to NYC

If I am paying top bucks for a slab they better come secure and insured.

Ok, didn't know that

Makes me think that the listings with shipping at $5 or even free are even better deals

Depending on how they are shipped, those deals may not be so hot. A slab mailed to you in a used envelope for $5 is not such a great deal when it arrives broken, with postage due, or both.

You generally get what you pay for.

And most likely not insuring it.

Bingo....and Bongo.

Especially with Ebay taking a fee on the shipping cost the buyer pays.

I just shipped a slab in a priority box from Boston to Arizona my cost $8.19 w/ Tracking

I'm rarely satisfied with simple tracking, anymore, unless it's a real low-value book. I almost always use signature confirmation, which adds about $2.50.

$10 is cheap, maybe too cheap. I double-box slabs so it ends up weighing 2 pounds and dont ship in a Flat rate box. If the buyer is close, it costs less to ship. If to the East coast, costs really goes up. The more expensive books require sig conf and insurance which all adds up.

Usually $10 now just covers the shipping of the book, not the insurance.

A $500 book with a shipping cost of only $10.00 means either the seller is nice by eating the extra costs or is dope that trusts the USPS will deliver the package and the buyer will not rip them off.

BTW With gas prices, shipping materials, and eBay's disgraceful final value fee they charge the sellers now on the shipping cost you should feel every time you receive an item on eBay you are not paying enough shipping. :baiting:

I just shipped a slab in a priority box from Boston to Arizona my cost $8.19 w/ Tracking

Doesn't seem possible. You got the weight under a pound? My packed slabs approach 2 pounds. 2 pounds coast to coast is $11.25 at the counter with no insurance.

It's $12.35 for a medium flat rate USPS box.

A slab can fit in one of those?

Medium Flat Rate Box dimensions = 13 5/8" x 11 7/8"

Slab dimensions = 13" x 8 1/4"

Unless you have almost no padding at each end of the slab (the top and bottom), I don't see how you can ship it in a Medium Flat Rate box. Any significant amount of pressure at either end of the box might crack the case.

134714.jpg.7a18d7fb199c9a96e8b68d73fae14320.jpg

Doesn't seem possible. You got the weight under a pound? My packed slabs approach 2 pounds. 2 pounds coast to coast is $11.25 at the counter with no insurance.

2 lbs FL (should be the same as Boston) to Phoenix $8.27 under the TRS rates