• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me???

8 posts in this topic

I have been looking through the CGC Batman collection on Comiclink. It seems several of these books are WAAAYYYY over graded. Maybe it is just me, but they just seem to be real loose on the grading. For example, look at this one:

Batman 4

The top left edge is missing a huge chip, and look at the bottom edge of the spine.

I don't know about WAYYYY overgraded, despite the corners the book looks pretty sweet, but I agree, if that was sold as a raw 8.0, the seller would be accused of not knowing how to grade. 7.0, maybe 7.5 at best is probably more accurate.

I have been looking through the CGC Batman collection on Comiclink. It seems several of these books are WAAAYYYY over graded. Maybe it is just me, but they just seem to be real loose on the grading. For example, look at this one:

Batman 4

The top left edge is missing a huge chip, and look at the bottom edge of the spine.

I wouldn't call that top chip huge. Also, these scans(at least on my monitor) are larger than the actual book. Objects may be smaller than they appear.

I keep looking at the 20 & 55. Nice, nice books.

You know, I never have had much luck grading a comic book from a scan. I have always had to look it over in person and very carefully, and then I can form an opinion.

I could not agree with you more. In fact, I would take it a step farther and say that you can't accurately grade a book that's sitting in mylar or a plastic bag.

My thoughts:

1) I'm probably the biggest proponent (on this board) of saying "it's impossible to grade accurately from a scan".

2) The Batman #4 looks accurately graded to me assuming there are no other defects. It is my opinion that CGC looks at the TOTAL amount of DEFECTS, more than the SEVERITY. This book looks to have THREE total defects (none of which are so drastic to reduce the grade below 8.0). If you remember, Burntboy had his FF #2 CGC'd. The book had a HUGE piece missing from the top (maybe 3/4" by 3/4"). Yet CGC still gave the book a 6.5, probably because the rest of the book was so nice.

3) Lastly, and something that I think is very important. We see a large scan of a book, with one or two very faint stress lines that is a CGC 9.0. Therefore, the ASSUMPTION is that a book with MORE than two faint stress lines must be graded LESS than CGC 9.0. When in fact the two stress lines might be the only VISIBLE flaws, but there might be four or five other non-color breaking creases, which is why the book is a CGC 9.0 instead of a CGC 9.2 or 9.4. Just something to remember.