• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you resubmit a CGC book in its holder?

11 posts in this topic

IIRC, it's allowable with some coin grading services to resubmit a coin inside it's slab for grading. And if the grade is higher, they will crack it out and put it in the new holder.

Does CGC do that with it's own books? I have a low grade book that is a real dog, but I don't think it's the dog that CGC graded it. I think it deserves a better grade. It was graded a long time ago, FWIW.

Anyway, assuming I'm right and it's under graded, what do you suggest? Crack it out and resubmit? Submit it in the slab?

WC

IIRC, it's allowable with some coin grading services to resubmit a coin inside it's slab for grading. And if the grade is higher, they will crack it out and put it in the new holder. Does CGC do that with it's own books?

That'd be impossible to do with a comic.

I have a low grade book that is a real dog, but I don't think it's the dog that CGC graded it. I think it deserves a better grade. It was graded a long time ago, FWIW.

Anyway, assuming I'm right and it's under graded, what do you suggest? Crack it out and resubmit? Submit it in the slab?

When you submit a book to CGC, it doesn't matter if you crack it out or not before sending it in. You can send books in a PGX slab to CGC if you want. If a book is a re-sub, the graders only see it raw, with no mention of the grade it used to be.

IIRC, it's allowable with some coin grading services to resubmit a coin inside it's slab for grading. And if the grade is higher, they will crack it out and put it in the new holder.

Does CGC do that with it's own books? I have a low grade book that is a real dog, but I don't think it's the dog that CGC graded it. I think it deserves a better grade. It was graded a long time ago, FWIW.

WC

If you ask for a regrade they will crack it out and just regrade the book. No guarantees on it coming back higher, lower or even in the same grade.

WC

If you ask for a regrade they will crack it out and just regrade the book. No guarantees on it coming back higher, lower or even in the same grade.

From what I understand the pre-graders would crack the book then destroy the label after removing it from the census. The graders would get it raw with no knowledge of the previous label. The exceptions would be pedigree status; it would be preserved if it was noted on the old label, and PLODs. Knowledge of restro work would be passed along as it was sent for it's restro check.

Thanks for the good info. Now to decide whether to resubmit or not. I posted pix of my X-men 1 over on the grade my book forum. I'd appreciate any unbiased info...don't want to waste my money on grading if I can avoid it.

There is always a chance of the same or lower grade when CPR'ing a book (Crack, Press and resubmitt). I looked at your book in the grading forum. Unless your book is currently a 1.0 or 1.5, I don't it warrants resubmission because 1.8-2.0 is the consensus on your book.

I think to have a shot at 2.0 you are going to need to have the book pressed. Otherwise I'm in the 1.8 camp on resubmission. And I woudn't be surprised by 1.5.

When resubbing a book you also need to consider the costs involved. There isn't all that much difference in the average selling prices of X-Men 1 between the grades of 1.0 and 1.8. The 12 month average from GPA for sales of 1.8's ($873) is only $198 more than 1.0 ($675) and $140 more than 1.5 ($714). Resubbing this book with shipping both ways would end up costing you $100 easy.

Thanks for the info. I know there isn't much difference in market price between a 1.0 and 1.8, but that 1.0 bugs me. Besides, if I kick the bucket in the distant future, I want my wife to know what it REALLY is.

So, about this pressing. I've been dormant in the hobby for a while and now I'm back full-blast. Now pressing seems to be all the rage. I'm assuming it's using gentle heat and pressure to realign the paper.

But I'm scared of it because I also collect currency, and my understanding is that pressing is still detectible under magnification. Still, my book is low grade.

Do ya'll really think it's worth it, or are you pulling my leg? Any idea what it costs? Help a "pressing noob" here.

WC

Thanks for the info. I know there isn't much difference in market price between a 1.0 and 1.8, but that 1.0 bugs me. Besides, if I kick the bucket in the distant future, I want my wife to know what it REALLY is.

So, about this pressing. I've been dormant in the hobby for a while and now I'm back full-blast. Now pressing seems to be all the rage. I'm assuming it's using gentle heat and pressure to realign the paper.

But I'm scared of it because I also collect currency, and my understanding is that pressing is still detectible under magnification. Still, my book is low grade.

Do ya'll really think it's worth it, or are you pulling my leg? Any idea what it costs? Help a "pressing noob" here.

WC

Check your PM's.