• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I do something wrong?

26 posts in this topic

Scenario on eBay:

Thursday afternoon: Get a message asking me what best I can do on one of my listings.

5 minutes later: I send back message back saying lowest price I'd accept

couple hours later: I get a higher offer from another buyer than price I quoted other guy

I message the first person stating I have a higher offer and I'll still sell him the comic at the price I offered even though I have a higher offer.

I wait 40+ hours to hear anything. No response.

With about 5 hours left before higher offer expires, I accept higher offer.

24 hours later, I get message asking if the comic is still available. I respond apologizing for the situation but that I accepted higher offer due to no communication. Another 24 hours, I get message about reneging on an offer.

Opinions on if I was in the wrong here? Maybe I'm impatient but I have a phone and e-mail that both tell me when i have a message from someone.

Anyways, thoughts?

It was WD 88 variant. Not one of the higher priced things. And the higher offer was literally like $2 more than my offer to him so it's not like I was being greedy and taking a bigger payday.

I chalk it up to someone sending a PM from a sales thread while someone else posts an i'll take it. Not same situation but still. I was going to offer to send him a free comic or something just to be nice but I didn't much like his response back to me after I told him I sold it.

you cant reneg on a deal on ebay. A deal happens when both parties agree to a price, and accept it. If he didnt want to miss out on the book, he should have payed the asking price.

As others have said, thats why we have :takeit: on the forums. PMs about maybe doing this and that dont count.

It's your book, and you have the right to sell it to anyone on ebay up until the offer is truly accepted. Just pretend it was a house, and you were fielding offers from more than one potential buyer. Until you sign it and they sign it, there is no deal.